• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players that were OK in hindsight

Mmmm..very interesting..another Robbie Keane scenario..?

Actually it reminds me of after Rodney got married. He came into the flat and sat down and asked Grandad what was for tea.

Delboy said "Rodney, you don't live here no more.........what a plonker!"

My gut feeling is that if he came back here it would work just fine. He burnt no bridges in the dressing room and he never allowed speculation to get in the way of performances last season...sadly won't happen unless we get WIllian this summer and Bale goes to Madrid IMHO (a guess obviously)...Bale is just unbelievable BTW.

Doherty was not very good but he did entertain me. Pleat once said something about Doherty and was it Gardner? being a dream partnership.
That was not that long ago..is the Doc still playing?
Please don't anyone else say that this club has not progressed under Levy.

One of the great moments during 'the dark days' was watching his face when Iversen's shot rocketed off his ginger nut and past Seaman in 2001 SF; good Lord, he looked absolutely flabbergasted! In fact, let me dig up the link...oh happy days! I didn't sit down for 5 minutes I was so busy screaming abuse at the goons!
EDIT: I can only find the 20 min highlights, thus I'm not putting that farkin' link up there, needless to say the goal is a classic and GP has not a scooby IMO (his bemused expression remains priceless)...

The Pleat quote was from after we beat Liverpool, IIRC.

"Our central defenders, Doherty and Anthony Gardner, were fantastic and I told them that when they go to bed tonight they should think of each other."

The Pleat is a legend - I wish someone could compile a book of his quotes and player name 'variations'

Shimbomba, the Korean boy, Esso Ekutu, etc.

The Pleat is a legend - I wish someone could compile a book of his quotes and player name 'variations'

Shimbomba, the Korean boy, Esso Ekutu, etc.

"Craig Bellamy definitely runs faster forwards than he runs backwards"

“It was wild and handsome, high and handsome”

Pleat: “The Swedish only have ten minutes to do something should they want to stay in the competition”
Clive Tyldesley: “There’s still 26 minutes left of the match”
Pleat: “Oh dear I forgot to put my watch back to Swiss time”

“He's a very young, fresh-faced player, well he's not that young actually, 26 or 27, fresh-faced though, looks like he has just come out of college”

“With eight minutes left, the game could be won in the next five or ten minutes”

“They are trying to walk the ball in by heading it”

“They're changing some of the midget gems in midfield”

“There we see the little man trying to scratch the big man”

“Sergio Ramos was an expensive addition to Spain”

“Moutinho using his weight there - all 5’ 7” of it”

"The Dutch will be wary of the big lad pulling off at the back post"

"Brian McBride is pound for pound as good as any of the top strikers in the Premiership"

"This will be the first time we will be two thirds of the way through the match"

"Great save by Michael Carrick" (on Cech saving from Carrick)

"I'm not too sure how much you get for winning the Champion's League, but it's definatly 10 million euro"

"Here we see Tevez's little curly one"

"The ball is tied to his feet, but where's the string?"

"Giuly's only 5'6 he's not very tall for a winger"

Clive Tyldesly: "Well, we have a Spanish referee for this all English encounter"
Pleat: "Yes, well it is hot"

"Carrick will be the deepest of the threesome"

"He wasn't really trying to score with that shot"

Clive Tyldesley: "This wont be United's biggest win in Europe. They actually won a game 10-1"
Pleat: "I remember that as a young man, against Anderlecht, wasn't it?"
Tyldesley: "It was in 1903, David"

"Marseille needed to score first, and that never looked likely once Liverpool had taken the lead"

"I would take advantage of this and make the wall stand the full 10 metres back"

''Ive just noticed something interesting, the left and right backs have both got long sleeve shirts on"

"Giggs is enjoying himself in the middle of the threesome"

Clive Tyldesley: "David, whats your prediction for the match?"
David Pleat: "Good evening everyone, a lovely night for football"

''Carrick has got all the ingredients in his recipe''

"Ronaldo draws a lot of comparisons with George Best, the incomparable George Best"

"The Greek commentators are going mad, and they're standing in front of us. Sit down!"

"He's a water carrier, a hard worker, a bit of a dog... a ferret"

"I think they'll have to throw the kitchen sink at them now a bit. Maybe not the whole sink, with all the plumbing - maybe just the taps for now"

"He's a local favourite, born and bred in Salford" (On Cardiff-born Ryan Giggs)

"They’ll be happy with that, but they'd be more happy if it went in"

"Zola's got two feet"

"We just ran out of legs"

"At this moment there is not a problem at this moment"

"I was inbred into the game by my father"

"There's a little bit of a South American touch, if that's not Irish, about this European side, Portugal"

"He's got a brain under his hair"

"And the steam has gone completely out of the Spanish sails"

"I've seen some players with very big feet, and some with very small feet"

"A game is not won until it is lost"

"Stoichkov is pointing at the bench with his eyes"

"Our central defenders, Doherty and Anthony Gardner, were fantastic and I told them that when they go to bed tonight they should think of each other"

"There's Thierry Henry, exploding like the French train that he is"

"If there are any managers out there with a bottomless pit, I'm sure that they would be interested in these two Russians"

Is there an average Opta Stat for each player? If so it would be interesting to know which players exceeded beyond our expectations/realisations from our past.

Is there an average Opta Stat for each player? If so it would be interesting to know which players exceeded beyond our expectations/realisations from our past.

Those stats can be deceiving - one of them had Stalteri as our best pefrormer in Jol's first 5th place season

Mendes, he was unlucky to be competing with Carrick. I thought Mendes was really good and could have done a good job after Carrick left for ManU.

Mendes being sold is one of the biggest what the moments in our recent transfer history. Seriously, why did we sell him?

Mendes being sold is one of the biggest what the moments in our recent transfer history. Seriously, why did we sell him?

I think the Kanoute and Corluka sales trump this for me. Mendes at least had a lot of competetion for his place and so wasn't greatly missed. Kanoute and Corluka...neither sale was necessary; top class players and the best we had at the time in their positions. Kanoute wasn't replaced till Berbatov, and we're still looking tremendously weak at RB after Corluka went.

Because he wanted to play. Unfortunately for him, Carrick was ever present in the team. He only played a few games in the 2005-06 season and I don't think any were with Carrick. Clearly in retrospect, we'd have kept him if we'd known Carrick was leaving.

Back