• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players Out: Rumours and Discussion

So QPR players now doing a Madrid and commenting on players.

I can see a new rule being brought in to counter this at the Chairman's meeting. Its the press getting around getting quotes now as managers are not allowed to mention names. Well in theory they aren't.

Don't want Defoe to leave, as he offers a bit of variation (assuming Ade leaves) if he goes we are straight back to square one, with only two first team strikers.

What variation to Soldado does Defoe offer?

Seems to me that Ade offers a lot more variation.

Yeah, standing around looking bored off his arse that's the variation you get with him...sorry not really cause he played that way all season apart from a a couple of games. Like playing with ten men when he is on the pitch. I will be glad to see him go.

Yeah, standing around looking bored off his arse that's the variation you get with him...sorry not really cause he played that way all season apart from a a couple of games. Like playing with ten men when he is on the pitch. I will be glad to see him go.

What variation to Soldado does Defoe offer?

There is no way that Defoe is going to drop down a division. He could easily play for anyone outside the top 6.

weve already sold Dempsey, Ade and Defoe are being heavily linked with moves away......and yet we dont seem to be close bringing any other strikers in.

what, we sign a 25 mill striker and thats it??? one guy replaces 3?:)

See above. Actually a good player to come off the bench as an impact sub. When given a run of games without injury he could be as a good a goal scorer as anyone in the league. He just needs to maintain fitness.

But it looks like one of him or Ade will be sold and i'd rather Defoe be sold.

Im not sure who I'd want sold.

Adebayor can add more but last season he didnt add much more. Defoe to me seems like more likely to be the one who gets his head down in training and tries to work harder on his game, even at his age to try and get games for the club and I'd much rather a player like that in my squad. Personally, if we have no plans to get one in, I'd keep both.

Im not sure who I'd want sold.

Adebayor can add more but last season he didnt add much more. Defoe to me seems like more likely to be the one who gets his head down in training and tries to work harder on his game, even at his age to try and get games for the club and I'd much rather a player like that in my squad. Personally, if we have no plans to get one in, I'd keep both.

Why hasn't Defoe done this already then? He had one great game last year (Man. Utd away where he was involved in all three goals through his movement), but after that he stopped moving without the ball, and went back to being his old self. Simply put, Defoe has had 15 years in which he could have worked on this, but he hasn't. I, for one, cannot believe why that is about to change now.

I know this discussion's been had way to many times already, but Defoe is a striker who is playing twenty years to late (pre Bergkamp). He does indeed offer something else than Adebayor, but since our reality is one where there, unfortunately, isn't unlimited recourses we need to maximise those we have. That, as I see it, necessitates all our strikers to be able to play regularly in a situation where Soldado is injured. In a situation like that I would like us to have Adebayor and not Defoe as our backup.

I don't see us being able to have a player with those wages, who we don't think can be relied upon as a starter. I know this might lead us to having many strikers who are a bit to similiar though.

Defoe is on lower wages than Adebayor. Of this I am sure. Ergo, keeping him as a back-up striker to Soldado makes sense, given that paying Ade 100k a week to sit on the bench is madness for a club of our financial stature. He is also old: old enough to hopefully accept that his days of being an undisputed starter are over. Ergo, keeping a contented, relatively cheap poacher as a back-up makes sense, even if that striker is less valuable tactically than a more rounded player like Ade.

Plus, sentiment comes into it as well. I would like him to retire here, if he wants to. I think he's earned it, being our fifth highest scorer of all time and all.

Defoe is on lower wages than Adebayor. Of this I am sure. Ergo, keeping him as a back-up striker to Soldado makes sense, given that paying Ade 100k a week to sit on the bench is madness for a club of our financial stature. He is also old: old enough to hopefully accept that his days of being an undisputed starter are over. Ergo, keeping a contented, relatively cheap poacher as a back-up makes sense, even if that striker is less valuable tactically than a more rounded player like Ade.

Plus, sentiment comes into it as well. I would like him to retire here, if he wants to. I think he's earned it, being our fifth highest scorer of all time and all.

The big question though: In case Soldado got injured, would you rather have Adebayor or Defoe on the bench? For me, Defoe is a decent impact sub, but he is clearly not the one to rely upon if he had to start week in and week out.

I agree with you on this, but the wrinkle is that this is a world cup year. And at the moment the England squad for strikers is wide open. As it will probably be his last chance to go to a World Cup, i think he would like to be a regular starter somewhere

Back