• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Interesting stat that. From my eyes our midfield is never empty but lacks enough people getting stuck in (winks, ndom) or cutting out options (Dele, lo celso). So not surprising that if PEH shows up alone he is going to get passed.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Our midfield is ALWAYS outnumbered, the flaw in the 4-2-3-1 especially in the PL where midfields tend to be packed.

PEH is a very good player in a specific role, said it before, I'd really like it if we didn't need him every game, i.e. our midfield could hold on to the ball long enough not to need cover and/or a destroyer behind.

The one thing that fudges me off about him is the way he always stops and argues about decisions no matter how dangerous the situation is. He just stops altogether with arms in the air while the the opposition are attacking. fudging ridiculous.

Question to @Grays_1890
I know you had strong views about PEH when he signed. Now the season is over, what have you made of him overall during the season?

Early season very decent and it shocked me but I gave him his praise by then he reverted back to the player I was strong about, Everton in FA Cup I think where he had a shocker and it snowballed. He spent the last few months running round like a nutter and ended up the most dribbled past player in the league, which is the issue with him, and he doesn't have quality on the ball. If he reverts back to early season and plays the space and doesn't run round in a headless chicken style he does well, all in all I give him an end of season score of a C.

In fairness to him he needs a partner who isn't Ndombele

Early season very decent and it shocked me but I gave him his praise by then he reverted back to the player I was strong about, Everton in FA Cup I think where he had a shocker and it snowballed. He spent the last few months running round like a nutter and ended up the most dribbled past player in the league, which is the issue with him, and he doesn't have quality on the ball. If he reverts back to early season and plays the space and doesn't run round in a headless chicken style he does well, all in all I give him an end of season score of a C.

Thanks. Interesting points. Is there anyone in our current squad that you think would be best to play with him?
Then, who would you think we'd buy in the transfer window that would work best with him?

Thanks. Interesting points. Is there anyone in our current squad that you think would be best to play with him?
Then, who would you think we'd buy in the transfer window that would work best with him?

I would get shot for this but from the current crop I would have played Rodon with Toby a long time.agonand pushed Dier up with him but beyond that I think Winks was his better partner.

Now Skipp is coming back he could make that role his own TBH

In his poorer moments he does remind me of Holtby. Chasing where and when he shouldn't, getting caught on the wrong foot or leaving spaces.
They aren't often but when it does its noticeable.

Cummings confirming what we knew - the government were not prepared. Acted late. And were distracted by Brexit.

When shi1 got real they were scrambling around desperate for a plan. Everything blew up around them. Smart governments identified the risk around Xmas - seeing what was happening in China - and they prepared. Our lot...they didn't get serious until mid-march. That is a fing joke and cost a lot of lives and billions upon billions. I know no one really knew how bad this pandemic would be, and most assumed it would be less serious than it was, but the government still has to prepare. It did not. We will pay the price for a long time.

In his poorer moments he does remind me of Holtby. Chasing where and when he shouldn't, getting caught on the wrong foot or leaving spaces.
They aren't often but when it does its noticeable.

It's more noticeable because he charges in and gets caught in heals which makes him easier to ghost past. Like I say much prefer when he almost marked the space and protected the back line rather than attacked the play and got pulled about

Like all stats they very rarely tell the whole story and depending on what view you want to push forward. Our CM this season has been very poor and he has had to run around putting fires our everywhere. Bring in another who has the vision, and ability to close space/avenues ( like Eriksen was so good at) and our defence would not look as bad as it does. Not saying we do not need to bring in at least another CB though.

Last edited:
It's more noticeable because he charges in and gets caught in heals which makes him easier to ghost past. Like I say much prefer when he almost marked the space and protected the back line rather than attacked the play and got pulled about

That is some of best political analysis I've heard! Sums up Cummings perfectly :)

I would get shot for this but from the current crop I would have played Rodon with Toby a long time.agonand pushed Dier up with him but beyond that I think Winks was his better partner.

Not sure i agree with the Dier bit (though if he makes mistakes in CM they're not as costly as where he has been exposed i guess) but certainly agree re Rodon and Toby being a good option we should have done more to try.

Not sure i agree with the Dier bit (though if he makes mistakes in CM they're not as costly as where he has been exposed i guess) but certainly agree re Rodon and Toby being a good option we should have done more to try.

Out of Ndombele, Lo Celso and Dier I would have partnered him with Dier as neither Ndombele or Lo Celso have the game to play the role that Dier played a few seasons back and if I'm going to be fair to PEH his form dipped covering two jobs at times. Ndombele is not a DM

Out of Ndombele, Lo Celso and Dier I would have partnered him with Dier as neither Ndombele or Lo Celso have the game to play the role that Dier played a few seasons back and if I'm going to be fair to PEH his form dipped covering two jobs at times. Ndombele is not a DM

It certainly seemed to dip when Sissoko stopped playing there...:eek:

Would agree with that, i have always been of the opinion that Dier is a CM player and that is where he has been at his best for us. It will depend on who we bring in as a manager but it would not surprise me to see him still here next season and being played in midfield.

Our midfield is ALWAYS outnumbered, the flaw in the 4-2-3-1 especially in the PL where midfields tend to be packed.

PEH is a very good player in a specific role, said it before, I'd really like it if we didn't need him every game, i.e. our midfield could hold on to the ball long enough not to need cover and/or a destroyer behind.

4-2-3-1 under poch with responsible and proactive pressing was deemed as plausible way to play competitively in the EPL. In any case its never a static formation and when defending it could also pack in a 4-5-1. I agree that PEH is a very good player to hold the ball and break up play. But we need GLC/Ndomb/Winks to be able to do that with him as a team too.

Not an option ..

Dier gave the club an ultimatum, he doesn't want to play at DM/CM, only CB

Why the fudge we didn't sell him immediately when he said that is beyond me.

Interesting stat that. From my eyes our midfield is never empty but lacks enough people getting stuck in (winks, ndom) or cutting out options (Dele, lo celso). So not surprising that if PEH shows up alone he is going to get passed.

Lo celso is particularly frustrating and one who looks great in a highlights reel but doesn't apply himself throughout the game at every opportunity like PEH. Then he breaks down and has to start over so you're never sure of his real potential.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Indeed.... Lo Celso is a bit like Winks in that he is consistently the wrong side of his player when the opposition have the ball.

Not an option ..

Dier gave the club an ultimatum, he doesn't want to play at DM/CM, only CB

Why the fudge we didn't sell him immediately when he said that is beyond me.

Well it doesn't matter was hypothetical and that's what I would have done or as I say player winks with him rather than a season with Ndombele whose effort levels left alot to be desired

Cannot believe this thread is all the way back on page 5 what with the tournament this guy has had. Easily one of the best players at the tournament and arguably the best player on the pitch last night.

When people say we don’t do good business this is one of them rare occasions.

Back