• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paxton bashing

Mr Paxton

Paul Mahorn
I've been a very long term lurker here and on other Spurs forums, but I consider this forum to be my "home" forum as it were.

The reason I've finally decided to finally sign up and post is the stream of comments on here and elsewhere about the Paxton road end atmosphere and the people sat there being this and that i.e. all negative comments.

I hate to break it to you Park Lane Fanbois but the Park Lane isn't all its meant to be cracked up to be, its a limp shadow of its former self. I sit there glancing at the Park Lane during games which are crying out for the crowd to get behind the team e.g. Wigan this season. What are you doing? Silence, followed by moaning and groaning like all the other parts of the ground!

If the Park Lane is so much better than the rest of the ground then why has the 1882 group started up? If you are so good then they wouldn't be the need.

I think the atmosphere in the whole ground is generally poor especially against the "lesser" teams where people turn up expecting us to win convincingly. A lot of people are guilty of that.

A lot of people in the Paxton are long term season ticket holders and we aren't interested in joining in with the "day trippers" in the Park Lane 15 renditions of "Stand up if you hate Ars*nal" and the usual anti-ars*nal songs. Been there, done that, sung it at Highbury. I would prefer to "get behind the team".

I think there are many factors on why the atmosphere is poorer - eg. the average age of our supporters is higher and people (sometimes!) tend to calm down with age.

I think one of the biggest reason is the quality of the songs being sung is appalling, the same old songs trotted out all the time. Lets be honest the Jermain Defoe song is awful, the standard Sandro song is awful, (the Nicola Berti Sandro song is so much better). The word "Yido" seems to have to be shoe-horned into most songs. Then we have one of the Vertonghen songs, "he comes from Amsterdam, to play for Tott-en-ham" its crap, plain crap. Stop singing it, its awful. Dawson and Lennon sharing the same song, boring!

I'm pretty sure another group of supporters of another team would have created a witty song for Sandro with some kind of Kung fu or Darts related theme by now.

I know I have gone slightly off track from my starting point with but I'm sure the atmosphere would improve if the songs were better.

Park Lane - people in glasshouses and all that....

The players are playing like they don't enjoying playing at home this season.

Rant over...

I normally sit Paxton Upper when I go, and the atmosphere isn't great. I agree though that it's no great shakes anywhere else either, but there's always plenty around you up there who don't sing once, anything, not even COYS or Oh When The Spurs. I mean, if they aren't going to sing those they just aren't going to sing, however clever a Sandro song someone comes up with.

I normally sit Paxton Upper when I go, and the atmosphere isn't great. I agree though that it's no great shakes anywhere else either, but there's always plenty around you up there who don't sing once, anything, not even COYS or Oh When The Spurs. I mean, if they aren't going to sing those they just aren't going to sing, however clever a Sandro song someone comes up with.

Same here, and you're spot on. For me, the sitting down aspect is a big killer, may sound daft but you always feel weird sat down and singing. So different away from home where 90% of the time you are stood up

This is a football wide problem where a general decline in atmosphere is noticeable at most grounds. I would say some of this is due to the demographic spread of supporters, in particular, the change from a working class to a middle class audience

This is a football wide problem where a general decline in atmosphere is noticeable at most grounds. I would say some of this is due to the demographic spread of supporters, in particular, the change from a working class to a middle class audience

I think that it has more to do with less people being drunk

I generally sit Paxton Upper, and the atmosphere there's generally pretty brick. I'm not gonna slag Park Lane off for the originality of the songs (even if they are pretty brick) simply because at least they're singing! The OP may not like how Park Lane are sometimes silent, but at least they make more of a noise than anyone else.

When we're on top, the park lane is rocking

The same can not be said about the paxton

It is a morgue at all times. But there's nothing wrong with that

It's the old boys / family stand. It's not supposed to be loud, and never is.

The west stand is also a morgue. But its for corporates. So again, very quiet.

Nothing wrong with that. But don't try and compare Park Lane and Paxton.

I think that it has more to do with less people being drunk

"Middle class" are less likely to get drunk before the game. I think the price of tickets and the predictability of the product is what has harmed the atmosphere rather than not being able to stand - although the Park Lane lower stand all game anyway.

Down to people realising football has changed. Takes a lot of money to be successful. We get to a level and have to sell our best players. Barbatov and Modric as an example.

The same will probably happen with Bale.

No point going mad at games anymore.

Yes and that as well. Gone are the days of having a good few jars before a game or a few cans from the off licence walking to the Lane.

Maybe the ST holders are complacent and don't show enough passion. Perhaps selling a higher percentage of tickets to members/non members, especially for the less glamourous games. This would work better with our current capacity.

I would just like to point out that I try and drink as much as possible before a game. Still.

Not just that, but there aren't many younger lads that go to football anymore. Many will talk about the 'boys pens' in the old days and a group of 5/10 18 year old lads walking round the terraces together trying to start songs etc. Nowadays most people that age will go with their old man as they can't afford to go together, either that or they have seats elsehwere from their mates etc.

Sad but true - the average age of people attending top flight matches has gradually increased over the years since the Premier League started. Oh, and the beer does help! Although a fair few times last season I would get battered before the game and get a hangover in the second half. Woops!

As for the Paxton, who gives a brick? It's the family stand, it's not going to be rocking as a lot of the people there are with their kids etc.

Last edited:
When we're on top, the park lane is rocking

The same can not be said about the paxton

It is a morgue at all times. But there's nothing wrong with that

It's the old boys / family stand. It's not supposed to be loud, and never is.

The west stand is also a morgue. But its for corporates. So again, very quiet.

Nothing wrong with that. But don't try and compare Park Lane and Paxton.

Indeed, at least we try and get the crowd going.

I stood on the park lane last Thursday - I've never seen a bunch of fans so clueless about what is happening on the pitch!

Also, they were singing in groups of 20 which is why they cannot be heard anywhere else except on that stand!

One bloke spent the whole time facing the crowd taking a video as they sang an inaudible song even from where I was standing!

Who gives a fudge if they sing or not, who cares?

I sit in the Paxton and every now and again I find myself joining in with other parts of the ground. My ambition is to get the entire Paxton Road end to respond to the "We're the Park Lane/Shelf-side" song, but I guess that will be another one of my "bucket" list that will never be struck through*.

*I did try to interject "We're the Paxton" to this song at an away match once, only to have some witty so and so say "so you are 'the one' then"? It did make me laugh.

I now save my voice for away games and end up sounding like AVB afterwards.

Back