• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pav Contract Extention - Why is the Question ???

The last games that Pav played for us he was awful, truly awful. Though that could be down to not being given the match time.
I actually stood on the terrace and said "Just go", I've never said that about any other player, he just didn't appear to give a fig. Hossam Ghaly was hounded out of the club for caring too much and letting his frustration cause the red mist to drop. I'd have welcomed that sort of passion from Pav but it didn't seem to be there.

Might as well chuck this stat in here too. Pav got 4 goals in 996 minutes this season. Saha's got 4 goals in 493 minutes. To say Saha is not at least a sufficient replacement for Pav is in my view incorrect.

Might as well chuck this stat in here too. Pav got 4 goals in 996 minutes this season. Saha's got 4 goals in 493 minutes. To say Saha is not at least a sufficient replacement for Pav is in my view incorrect.

That's in an ideal world where Saha can stay fit for more than a month at a time.

I'm going with the not replacing Pav over the last 18 months stance tbh ever since Harry didn't rate him.

I think many are forgetting the absolute bargain of a deal we managed to squeeze out of Lokomottiv for a player who'd have virtually zero resale value in a seson's time. So on that basis alone, and the fact Arry never rated him and in turn would have never really featured (for better or worse) - I think it was a no brainer for Levy, especially for the reported 8-9m we received.

There is no point in keeping a player who would have never been a regular for us, was already 30, and his value was about to decline steeply from here onwards.

Selling Pav for the reported fee was a great Levy swing, imv. Pav's replacement however was an absolute shocker - I don't rate Saha at all - another one of Redknapp's truly shocking miopic 'fudge it, he's got great experience' idiotic buys.

Last edited:
Christ, a total of 5 games of football and a decision on Saha has already made that he's brick. Harsh.

I guess people have also forgotten the knee and groin strains Pav got this season too, keeping him out for around 6 weeks.

5 games?

How about 10 years (a decade) in the Prem?

Saha is a 1 in 3 striker. Exactly what he is scoring for us. Same as Jermain Defoe, same as Roman Pavlyuchenko, same as Robbie Keane, same as Emmanuel Adebayor. Enough with the irrational hate of anything you set your mind on FFS. There's no middle ground with you.

Back up your claims with some form of reasoning PLEASE.

Here is some reasoning for you

- Saha' English record (many seasons as 1st team starter regular) - 0.36 goals per game

- Pav's English record (mostly 3rd/4th choice squad player) - 0.37 goals per game

In addition Pav is 3 years younger and a better finisher, imv.

Selling Pav was great bit of business and I doubt many would be disappointed with the fee we received. Of course he was limited and largerly ineffective. However - it is his replacement which became an issue - essentially a bricker, older, more injury prone version of the very same player. Question marks all-round and not the striker we desperately needed. Not to mention wages, etc. Same for Nelsen really - inexcusable short comings

Fair enough points, but these are short-term solutions with little to no investment, not tied up to long-term contracts that can be released at the end of the season. Selling Pav was a priority for Levy because he only had a year left. As you say it was smart business. Yes his replacement is hardly world class but the person he replaced was no better! I can't believe for a moment Pav would have made an ounce of difference to our current predicament, and ripping into Saha doesn't help one bit.

I disagree with you about Nelsen, just because he is old does not make him brick, I rate him.

This thread is a bit of a romaticist revisionism.

Selling him was great business. This is 2012. Strikers need to work very hard in all sorts of semi- and full out lone-striker-systems.

Like Defoe Pav thrived in systems with outright strikepartnerships, because he was a limited all round player. That's cool, but it's not suited to Spurs and perhaps not to the PL at all anymore.

I can't believe for a moment Pav would have made an ounce of difference to our current predicament, and ripping into Saha doesn't help one bit.

Maybe, maybe not. The one thing we know for sure is that Saha will forever be associated with the biggest collapse in Premiership history. Tino Asprilla looks like a lucky horseshoe compared to him.

Maybe, maybe not. The one thing we know for sure is that Saha will forever be associated with the biggest collapse in Premiership history. Tino Asprilla looks like a lucky horseshoe compared to him.

True, even if blatantly unfair.

It's not goals that's the problem. Well, we don't score enough, but that's more due to the shocking lack of coordinated build up play. Fine we admit that Saha will never make it, but it's hardly his fault. Players like Bale, VdV, Defoe, Parker and other attacking players have a massive responsibility to bear, only inferior to the manager himself.

True, even if blatantly unfair.

It's not goals that's the problem. Well, we don't score enough, but that's more due to the shocking lack of coordinated build up play. Fine we admit that Saha will never make it, but it's hardly his fault. Players like Bale, VdV, Defoe, Parker and other attacking players have a massive responsibility to bear, only inferior to the manager himself.

He's not my idea of a great signing but agreed that the criticism of him will probably be disproportionate in years to come...

He's not my idea of a great signing but agreed that the criticism of him will probably be disproportionate in years to come...

Indeed. Like a late Raziak.

Incredible that people slag those limited signings (who are often dirt cheap overall), when the fan favourites like say our attacking 4-5 of Bale, Modric, VdV, Ade and Lennon escape all attention. After all, we wouldn't want to slag our faves, would we ?

Back