• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Official MKII- Paulinho

Frankly, I'd give them both another chance this season if the manager fancies them to start with. I'd also give Soldado another chance obviously Lamela, I don't think Chiriches needs another chance as he was fine last season save the last month or so when he was injured/had nothing in front of him or beside him to help protect BUT if we need to count him as a 'second chance', then yup, him too. I think they all have a lot to offer (Chadli possibly has the least of all of them but TBH, I do see a player in there). Right now, given that we aren't CL and don't have the money for Draxlers, etc, I think we need to see what we can get specifically from these players. And I include Paulinho right in there.

I was against giving Paulinho a second chance because I got so angry watching him and his lack of effort and pulling out of challenges. Now i've calmed down i've come to the conclusion that me personally, i'm happy to give all the players in the squad a second chance under Pochettino, if he fancies them, that goes for the likes of Rose and Naughton etc as well as last summers new signings.

I agree about Chiriches as well. I think he was mostly solid last season and there's a lot of potential there. He's also very comfortable on the ball for a centre-back. He and Eriksen were definately the best performers out of the new boys.

In the confeds cup he was great and arguably better judges of players than those of us on a. Football forum agreed when giving him the vote for second best payer IIRC

On the other hand, Messi apparently played better than any other player at the World Cup.

At least he touched the ball in the first half in the weekend game, which is more than can be said for Paulinho, by some accounts.

I'd add though that he must be knackered and arguably low of confidence. He needs a break and not just a few weeks IMO.

You may well be right. Messi, likewise, I imagine.

If anybody puts £20million on the table for this fella then we should bite their arm off. That money has got to better off used against the new stadium or given to Poch rather than gamble on giving this 'where's Wally' of a player another season. It would also reduce the wage bill and get at least one of our 37 central midfielders out of the equation leaving the others to become more focused.

I think most people would agree that most signings are a risk to some extent (i.e. no signing is a guaranteed success) and that foreign players generally need some time to acclimatise to English football. The latter suggests that imports should generally be given a second year or the risk is that a suitable player is discarded, increasing the proportions of unsuccessful signings.

Of our less than magnificent seven, I wouldn't totally discount any of them. None have excelled (even Eriksen has been inconsistent) and most have had some games where it looked like we might have a player. There is no point discarding any of them unless a much better option becomes available and here we must remember than all new signings carry some risk. In Paulinho's case, I see no point selling for £20m and trying to find a replacement, so I would keep him unless/until someone else in the squad nails down his place (which no one has). On the other hand, if Juventus offered £30m it would probably be a good move to take the deal.

We should also remember that our dysfunctional team finished last season with one of our highest PL point hauls, albeit with a disappointing slip to 6th place. This was despite of the change in management and a struggle to score and/or defend for large significant parts of the season. The optimism over Poch is that he can get more from the players. Similarly the hapless Brasilian side just finished 4th in the world cup. Paulinho played a part in both.

I was against giving Paulinho a second chance because I got so angry watching him and his lack of effort and pulling out of challenges. Now i've calmed down i've come to the conclusion that me personally, i'm happy to give all the players in the squad a second chance under Pochettino, if he fancies them, that goes for the likes of Rose and Naughton etc as well as last summers new signings.

I agree about Chiriches as well. I think he was mostly solid last season and there's a lot of potential there. He's also very comfortable on the ball for a centre-back. He and Eriksen were definately the best performers out of the new boys.

Despite my near-pathological dislike of Rose, I'm with you. Perhaps Poch can be the making of a few of these players. I think we have a very very decent squad which needs two or three players tops for quality in depth...

Seems like Utd have pulled out of the Vidal deal, so I guess that means no 20 mill from Juve for Paulie. What a pity

Despite my near-pathological dislike of Rose, I'm with you. Perhaps Poch can be the making of a few of these players. I think we have a very very decent squad which needs two or three players tops for quality in depth...

With you on that, he's about as much as a left back/footballer as I am a painter.

Remember the exact words of being called 'a clueless twunt' last summer when I questioned the paulinho signing and said McCarthy would be a much better deal. Not that I want an apology or anything just proving a point people don't want an unglamorous decent player from Wigan they want someone with nho on the end of their name and someone who's played 100 games in a league akin to polish second division.

Remember the exact words of being called 'a clueless twunt' last summer when I questioned the paulinho signing and said McCarthy would be a much better deal. Not that I want an apology or anything just proving a point people don't want an unglamorous decent player from Wigan they want someone with nho on the end of their name and someone who's played 100 games in a league akin to polish second division.

Keep the glee on hiatus until the end of THIS season please. ;)

A player who's played 100 games in a league akin to the Polish second division is apparently worth 20 million quid in Juventus' eyes, and that's apparently despite his questionable form in both 2013-2014 and the WC. If we'd bought McCarthy and he'd flopped in 2013-2014, would he be worth even a quarter of the fee being bandied about for Paulinho?

Perspective, mate, perspective.

I must admit, this was very poor…I hold out hope there's a player in there but have to admit, we need to find it much sooner than later...

I must admit, this was very poor…I hold out hope there's a player in there but have to admit, we need to find it much sooner than later...

We've got too many players at the moment that may turn out to be good, we can't carry them all.

Back