• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Official - Paulinho

If its 29m i will drive him there myself. Use that money to get a proper Spurs type player.

Same. They give us £29m and Lukaku, we give them £20m and Paulinho. We don't even need to buy a replacement for Paulinho as we've got Bentaleb coming through who should IMO be used in a more forward role next season, not to mention Carroll and Holtby coming back.

Paulinho's offered absolutely nothing to the team this season, been a massive let-down. If Chelsea want him, fine. I just don't see enough quality in Paulinho for us to be worried about having egg on our face if he goes there.

2bf, he's never even impressed me that much for Brazil apart from popping up with the odd goal.

Really depends on who our manager is next season. Paulie is a great player, strong in the run going forward and links up well with his team mates. Hasn't impressed ? It's his first season ffs ! With two different managers and new team mates, we don't have a clear system of play ! Language is a big factor.

I hope we keep him, we'd be mad to lose him to any in the top 8 IMO.

Totally agree.

And - for even a microsecond - do you really, genuinely, even in your wildest dream, believe that Courtois would give us a thought, let alone the time of day??? The best keeper in the world with the world at his feet at 21???

Dare is to do

no harm in trying.

many would say the same about Lukaku.

Really depends on who our manager is next season. Paulie is a great player, strong in the run going forward and links up well with his team mates. Hasn't impressed ? It's his first season ffs ! With two different managers and new team mates, we don't have a clear system of play ! Language is a big factor.

I hope we keep him, we'd be mad to lose him to any in the top 8 IMO.

Beg to differ, decent I'd suggest is a better word. Great, has he been a great?

I concur. This guy has been far from great, but he has done alright for his first season in the league.

And - for even a microsecond - do you really, genuinely, even in your wildest dream, believe that Courtois would give us a thought, let alone the time of day??? The best keeper in the world with the world at his feet at 21???

He could, he seems like a smart kid that knows he has to play football week in and week out to improve.

If we said we would sell Hugo and make him first choice I think he would take that over sitting on the bench behind Cech at Chelsea. He would obviously go to a bigger team than us if they offered him the same, but there might not be many bigger teams in for a goalkeeper this summer.

A different question is if Chelsea would sell him to us. I don't think so as he's clearly very highly rated and I think Mourinho rates him very highly too.

He could, he seems like a smart kid that knows he has to play football week in and week out to improve.

If we said we would sell Hugo and make him first choice I think he would take that over sitting on the bench behind Cech at Chelsea. He would obviously go to a bigger team than us if they offered him the same, but there might not be many bigger teams in for a goalkeeper this summer.

A different question is if Chelsea would sell him to us. I don't think so as he's clearly very highly rated and I think Mourinho rates him very highly too.

I hear Athletico will be needing a keeper

I hear Athletico will be needing a keeper

Make no mistake about it, if Chelsea sell him he will be expensive. He is super highly rated.

I know AM will see an upswing in their finances, but they've been seeing a lot of financial issues in recent years. A lot of talk that they will end up selling Diego Costa this summer despite now being in the CL final and on course to a league title. I even heard that them playing him yesterday triggered a clause that would mean that they had to pay more for his loan deal (due to appearances I think) and this was a slight financial issue for them. Although I couldn't give you a source on that so it might have been BS.

Not saying they couldn't afford him if they prioritized him, but he will be expensive and they might want to strengthen elsewhere.

Like you more or less alluded to, there is no chance Chelsea would sell to us anyway. But forgetting that, Cech has not been of the high standard he once was (albeit very good still) and I'm in no doubt if Courtois was to say he wants to be no1 at Chelsea or he's off Chelsea would give him those assurances, he has already proved himself to be top class....

Like you more or less alluded to, there is no chance Chelsea would sell to us anyway. But forgetting that, Cech has not been of the high standard he once was (albeit very good still) and I'm in no doubt if Courtois was to say he wants to be no1 at Chelsea or he's off Chelsea would give him those assurances, he has already proved himself to be top class....

I would...

Mourinho seems to like his old lads though...

I still don't know what to make of Paulinho to be honest. You see flashes of his ability but for a so called "box to box" midfielder I can't remember another player (maybe Jenas) who is virtually anonymous in so many games.

As some have mentioned I am fine giving him another season and see if he improves but at same time if someone wants to bid in the region of what we paid or more, I would be shot with him

I would have been all for giving our new signings a bedding in period and another season to show what they can do but 29mil really trumps that notion. That's crazy money for a player who has performed so poorly. Yes I think he has played like a player attempting to avoid injury so he is capable of more, but that unprofessional behaviour for me is another reason to sell. Take the money use it to bid on Reus (yep wishful thinking) or Pjanic (more wishful thinking) or some other creative type.

Thibaut Courtois IMO is that keeper you can have for the next 10 years and never worry. Similar to Mourinho's first purchase when he signed Peter Cech 10 years ago.

you can sell Lloris and get Paulinho's replacement easily with that money. Go to Wolfburg and get his Brazilian team mate in the middle Luiz Gastavo who IMO is much better.. and said so at the time of Paulinho's purchase in the summer.

But he's not though is he? The only players who stick around for 10 years or more are ones who aren't good enough to attract attention from the bigger clubs. The likes of Michael Dawson and Aaron Lennon are no more loyal than Dimitar Berbatov, Luka Modric or Gareth Bale.

Wouldnt sell him before the new manager comes in, and then its his call on who he wants. If he doesnt want him and Chelsea really do, then getting Lukaku in exhcnage would be effing brilliant!

I still don't know what to make of Paulinho to be honest. You see flashes of his ability but for a so called "box to box" midfielder I can't remember another player (maybe Jenas) who is virtually anonymous in so many games.

As some have mentioned I am fine giving him another season and see if he improves but at same time if someone wants to bid in the region of what we paid or more, I would be shot with him

I read an interview with him a while back that suggested he does not see himself as a box-to-box midfielder, but that's the way he has been asked to play.

I don't know what sort of player he does see himself as, but it may be in the "tweener" David Platt mould. He's Brazil's answer to Kevin Nolan! :)

I just don't get how he can be so lazy on defense. Maybe if he actually rushed back every now and then to help with the defense, Adebayor wouldn't have to be in our own 6-yard box.
Frustrating because this player has the skill, but sometimes he tries to go for flair passes that look great when they come off.

Even if he doesn't see himself as a box-to-box type, he's still playing in one of the CM roles so he needs to track back and chase the runners down instead of leaving his teammates exposed. He's missing the passion and/or the work ethic.

I read an interview with him a while back that suggested he does not see himself as a box-to-box midfielder, but that's the way he has been asked to play.

I don't know what sort of player he does see himself as, but it may be in the "tweener" David Platt mould. He's Brazil's answer to Kevin Nolan! :)

That is brilliant the Brazilian Kevin Nolan it is sad but I think from what we have seen that is perfect comparison albeit with less goals! :ross:

Normally I would say give him another season before giving up on him, but if that £29m really is true (unfortunately the words Metro.co.uk make me doubt it), I will be one of the volunteers to do the driving if the taxi is required, and I will keep my face straight when I drop him off at the Bridge

This story has to be rubbish. Mourinho values hard work. Paulinho jogs around the pitch, pulls out of challenges and allows others to do the hard work.

I would give him another season personally. More in hope than expectation though that the World Cup and having had a year to settle in England will allow him to show his true potential.

Haven't been impressed with him much at all. I haven't seen any performances, even when he has played well that demonstrate he is a player worth anywhere near his fee although that isn't his fault in terms of his pricing.

If however someone came in and offered us the money back then I would take it and reinvest elsewhere within the team, specifically wide left, CB and LB.

Agree with all that. I can't believe Chelsea want him to "shore up the midfield". Straight swop with Lukaku would do for me, maybe with Cole and Cahill thrown in!

Back