• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Official - Paulinho

For those saying he looks exhausted and has played too much etc. I watched him in the Brazil game and he looked fantastic.

Set up 2 goals and was all over the park.

For those saying he looks exhausted and has played too much etc. I watched him in the Brazil game and he looked fantastic.

Set up 2 goals and was all over the park.

This is true, against a fairly poor Honduran team. Good engine in him.

Reading through this.... It's not very fair to judge any players goal stats with our current tactics. **** players like Walcott get more goals because they are much more committed to attack tactically.

Oh, I wasn't saying that he turned the game for us. Was just using that most recent example of what he does so frequently - make excellent runs into the box to get into goalscoring positions.

Like you I'm very positive about Capoue, like you i think he's the most effective/most purposeful passer of those 4 obvious central midfield options we have. He seems very well suited to that most defensive role either in a duo or as the anchor in a midfield 3. I adore Sandro and it's a difficult decision to make, but I want to see more of Capoue now that he's back from injury.

I disagree about runs into the box and effectiveness. He has two assists and 1 goal in 10 PL games so far, not a terrible start. Consider that Paulinho had one goal and 3 assists in 26 PL games last season playing a similar position and role most of the time. Soldado needs more movement in the box, not less. Crosses towards a lone striker that two centre backs can cooperate to mark will be very difficult to make work. Another runner from the flank and from midfield can both score and create space for others. Townsend, Sig, Holty, Eriksen and quite possibly Lamela need to take a page out of Paulinho's book and make those runs more frequently.

Look at United under Ferguson, get into a decent crossing/passing position and they would have 4-5 players storming into the box. That creates space, that makes defenders struggle.

Agree 100% with the bolder bits. But is it the players themselves holding back or is it AVB's instructions? That is my question?

My view of Paulinho is becoming increasily entrenched... that his only outstanding (in the literal sense of the word) attribute is his ability to constantly get forward from central midfield, but that this attribute is almost nullified due to a lack of creativity and GHod awful shooting.

And the game against City showed that not only can these runs not be particularly effective, they can also leave us massively vulnerable defensively.

Last edited:

I have to say he's the player in the squad i dislike, he can't really do anything at a high standard, average at most things... until now.

I agree he's been a massive let down, but, this is still the guy who was awesome in the confederations cup, I just think he needs time

Carrick was a liability for months before turning it round, these things take time, we should give him as much playing time as possible this season, if he starts badly next season, then it's time to reconsider

I think he would be more effective playing as the middle of our three AMs. He is not dominant enough as one of our midfield pair . His form has declined to be sure , in tandem with the rest of the team I might add, but he had a good start to his spurs career and he looks very good for Brazil. He badly needs a few goals but more than that a break from playing.

Far, far too early to be writing him off.

The whole team (with the odd exception) are playing poorly. I still think he will come good. You can't contribute as much as he does to the Brazil team and be crap.

I think he would be more effective playing as the middle of our three AMs. He is not dominant enough as one of our midfield pair . His form has declined to be sure , in tandem with the rest of the team I might add, but he had a good start to his spurs career and he looks very good for Brazil. He badly needs a few goals but more than that a break from playing.

32 games in the last 6 months not including club friendlies.

Noticed that Paulinho went straight to the changing room after being replaced against ManCity. That is not a good attitude to have. Maybe he was disgusted with the result but he should have stayed back to give moral support to the team. Not really surprised to see him struggling to make an impact for us. He is playing for the first time outside Brazil and he was always going to take time to adapt. Remember, Sandro took long time to impress as well.

Noticed that Paulinho went straight to the changing room after being replaced against ManCity. That is not a good attitude to have. Maybe he was disgusted with the result but he should have stayed back to give moral support to the team. Not really surprised to see him struggling to make an impact for us. He is playing for the first time outside Brazil and he was always going to take time to adapt. Remember, Sandro took long time to impress as well.

He came back though. Just a toilet break, surely that's acceptable?

He came back though. Just a toilet break, surely that's acceptable?

Good he came back. But going straight after being replaced will always give a bad impressions. He could have delayed going there by a few minutes. Ever since the Ghaly shirt-throwing incident, I always get very nervous whenever we make substitutions.:lol:

This is not true. He's played in Lithuania and Poland and it went pretty badly for him along with racism made him return to Brazil.

How long do you think AVB will persist with him?

personally speaking, if he starts the next few league games then i'm of the opinion that he either has something on AVB or that he has something in his contract that states he has to play a certain % of games.

personally speaking, if he starts the next few league games then i'm of the opinion that he either has something on AVB or that he has something in his contract that states he has to play a certain % of games.

He's a player I love but he has clearly been lacking for the past few games (the Newcash thing was a disgrace)…I think he HAS to play Sunday if only so as we can see what balls he has and whether he wants to play for this manager or not…beyond that? I would not be averse to seeing him 'rested' right now…if he bottles tackles against Newcash, he won't be steaming in at Stoke. I hope he finds his mojo again though, because as a player he's great…when he's on form!

AVB has shown that he's willing to be quite ruthless with players if they're not performing.

AVB has also shown that a big transfer fee or a big profile move won't make you an automatic starter.

I would be very surprised if Levy, Baldini and AVB went along with a "must play" clause in a contract for a player that Paulinho's level. Particularly seeing as Paulinho seemed quite desperate to join us I think this is very unlikely.

If AVB persists with Paulinho I think it's because he rates him and thinks that he can turn his form around by playing. Mullet said on the top of this page that he did really well for Brazil, we've seen earlier in this season that he's obviously got ability. If he's impressing in training and looking sharp then starting him seems fine to me although based on the last couple of games alone I would go with Dembele.

AVB kept believing in Walker last season and we got the reward in the end with a couple of excellent months at the end of last season and good form at the start of this season from Walker.

AVB has shown that he's willing to be quite ruthless with players if they're not performing.

AVB has also shown that a big transfer fee or a big profile move won't make you an automatic starter.

I would be very surprised if Levy, Baldini and AVB went along with a "must play" clause in a contract for a player that Paulinho's level. Particularly seeing as Paulinho seemed quite desperate to join us I think this is very unlikely.

If AVB persists with Paulinho I think it's because he rates him and thinks that he can turn his form around by playing. Mullet said on the top of this page that he did really well for Brazil, we've seen earlier in this season that he's obviously got ability. If he's impressing in training and looking sharp then starting him seems fine to me although based on the last couple of games alone I would go with Dembele.

AVB kept believing in Walker last season and we got the reward in the end with a couple of excellent months at the end of last season and good form at the start of this season from Walker.

Walker was turd water for around 6 or 7 months of last season but our back up option hasn't proven he can play week in week out in this league consistently so he stuck with him (wrong decision imo as Naughton should have been given a chance). I'm not willing to accept the same situation with Paulinho because:

A) centre midfield is a far more important position than FB imo.

B) Our supposed 'back up' option is a better player.

Who has AVB shown he's ruthless with btw?

Back