• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Passing across the back/to the keeper

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but what happened with Walker is something I'd been dreading for a while.

We do play across the back four or to the keeper a hell of a lot, and with how quickly you're closed down in the Premier league I admit this is something I feared would happen due to a lapse in concentration, sloppy pass etc.

I've never quite got the reasoning behind playing it long back to the keeper when there are other outfield options. Invariably the keeper will hoof it long giving possession away. It happens a lot. There were times yesterday when the ball was in CM and there was time to play the pass, but instead a long ball back to the keeper was the preferred option.

I think playing it back to the keeper is a valid tactic as long as its mostly a swift pass on the deck. You get in trouble easily with libbed back passes and mix timed bounces.

Its one of thge reasons we retain a high level of possession that when we do get pressed we cycle it around the back.

One thing is it cab be a little dangerous if players get lazy with it. And also if you look at liver pools equaliser you will see that downing was on the move before walker even plasyed it so Rodgers must have worked on their wide men cutting that out.

As I mentioned in the OMT thread, I don't know why players have to make back passes to the goalie when not under pressure. What good does that do the team ? The goalie will normally hoof it long which can go anywhere. Why not the player who make the back pass, hoof it long instead. IMO, even if you want to waste time because you are leading, you should not make the undue back pass. Why put pressure on your own goalie ? If I am a manager, the first thing I will do is simply ban the back pass and fine the players who make back passes when not under pressure. I think the only time you should make a back pass is when you are under pressure from the other team.

So many things can happen when you make a back pass to the goalie. Remember Gary Neville's back pass for England which was completely missed by Paul Robinson ? The ball can also stuck in between, enabling the attacking players to intercept and score. I am sure a lot of goalies have got injured by just kicking the ball. So, why take the unnecessary risk by making that back pass ?

Last edited:
What Vertonghen does well is look up when he has the ball in defence, he RARELY passes back to the goalkeeper, he does play it to Dawson at times but usually he'll look long down a flank, not high in the air but just mid length for one of our players to run on to, win a free kick etc. which I like. It's clever.

I can kind of understand the playing from left to right and vice-versa, in order to stretch the width. But it can be so risky, as is the pointless ball back to keeper.

I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but what happened with Walker is something I'd been dreading for a while.

We do play across the back four or to the keeper a hell of a lot, and with how quickly you're closed down in the Premier league I admit this is something I feared would happen due to a lapse in concentration, sloppy pass etc.

I've never quite got the reasoning behind playing it long back to the keeper when there are other outfield options. Invariably the keeper will hoof it long giving possession away. It happens a lot. There were times yesterday when the ball was in CM and there was time to play the pass, but instead a long ball back to the keeper was the preferred option.

this is the bit i think needs more addresssing. i think its a misconception that there are other outfield options that are capable of dealing with the outfield pressure at the time

if there was a playable outfield option then the player would choose that...however if the pass isnt on, or its to hard for the provider..or the recepient is marked, or he doesnt have the technical ability to deal with that pass at that time for whatever reason...then pass along the back four or back to the keeper

The thing is AS, I'm sure there's occasions we do this when there is a pass on to another outfield player. I'm sure there was an occasion yesterday when Parker (I think) was about 5 yards in our half and had Sig to the left free, yet hit the ball (fairly hard) all the way back through to the keeper.

It does seem to be something we do a lot, and I think other teams have picked up on it.

Ha-ha, it's been around a long time. One of my first memories goes back to the mid-50s watching Alf Ramsay inexplicably scoring an og at WHL when he lobbed a pass back over the goalie Ted Ditchburn into his own net. :eek:

Like the OP I have always been baffled why players do it so much, but all teams do it. Problem is we seem to do it to excess. Can only assume defenders feel too pressured and regard it as a safe option, not worrying that a clearance will end up gifting possession to the opposition.

Another thing yesterday was also something that has been coming for quite a while - Ekotto giving away a pen for deliberate clumsiness in the box. Amazed how often he gets away with it tbh.

Ha-ha, it's been around a long time. One of my first memories goes back to the mid-50s watching Alf Ramsay inexplicably scoring an og at WHL when he lobbed a pass back over the goalie Ted Ditchburn into his own net. :eek:

Like the OP I have always been baffled why players do it so much, but all teams do it. Problem is we seem to do it to excess. Can only assume defenders feel too pressured and regard it as a safe option, not worrying that a clearance will end up gifting possession to the opposition.

Another thing yesterday was also something that has been coming for quite a while - Ekotto giving away a pen for deliberate clumsiness in the box. Amazed how often he gets away with it tbh.

100% right on Ekotto. I understand the love for him in that he seems like a really nice, honest guy and I wish more footballers were as intelligent as him. But as a footballer he is always an accident waiting to happen.

I don't know why players have to make back passes to the goalie when not under pressure. What good does that do the team ?
It stretches the opposition if they then decide to pressure high.
It calms down the team and resets the attack if they don't.

It's just that the way it was done by Walker yesterday is a very bad way of doing it. He took a risk and he paid the price. If he was that uncomfortable in the situation he could just put it out for a throw. That said, it is a sign of high confidence that he tries to play on instead. Confidence, or limited forsight/inexperience.

Ekotto is one of the best passers at the club, one of the most intelligent footballers, yet I'm beginning to agree that he needs to be replaced.

Something wrong with Benny's attitude atm if you ask me. Doesn't look as though he can be arsed half the time. Maybe he's not wholly buying into the AVB way? Whatever, we won't see him back at his best until he gets a grip and knuckles down 100%.

Maybe a spell playing second fiddle to Naughton will sort him out. He has a history of coming back strong then fading.

If that doesn't work then maybe yes, get rid in the summer, provided we have enough back-up. Not convinced Danny Rose is the long term answer or even whether he wants to come back.

This - poor all round

Didn't even look arsed afterwards - just walked away

Were you expecting tears?

He knew he made a silly challenge and that it was a blatant penalty, why moan about it? It's just one of those things, it shouldn't even have got to that stage anyway, if Defoe wasn't so terrible we probably would have got a point in the end.

Back