• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paris

I think this a point that a lot of uber-atheists don't understand. Religion will exist as long as man does. Christianity and Islam will still exist in 10,000 years. People will always believe despite what scientific facts come to light - just before the world ends, they'll still be Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on people's door like the the ones who did on mine this morning. Religion isn't the problem, nutters going around shooting and beheading people is. Good result tonight in Belgium at least. Makes a good statement. Need to have a few "Deaths on the Rock" to let the nutters know we won't tolerate this nonsense.

I don't believe this is the case, I think it's on borrowed time, eventually science will provide the answers to fill in more gaps and religions will just fade away

for hundreds of years humans believed the earth was flat and that the sun was the satellite

Full on sandals or thongs? It's kinda acceptable in OZ though isn't it! Or are you Jesus incarnate??

Proper sanders. No socks.

Thongs are okay here, or flip flops to our American brethren.

She even paid for tea. I'm quite the catch.

I don't believe this is the case, I think it's on borrowed time, eventually science will provide the answers to fill in more gaps and religions will just fade away

for hundreds of years humans believed the earth was flat and that the sun was the satellite

This. Religion just filled gaps that we didn't understand - now we understand most of them.

The new gaps in our knowledge aren't being filled by religion. I haven't seen anyone (of sound mind) stating things like "We don't quite understand how quantum mechanics works; therefore GHod".

I think a lot of the religious nuts deep down knows that their belief is a load of *******s, but they continue to use it for what it's worth in terms of gaining power and staying in power. Islam has just been a very convenient vehicle for a bunch of very angry and power hungry men, that probably would've been just as angry and power hungry if they didn't have the islam vehicle to ride.

This. Religion just filled gaps that we didn't understand - now we understand most of them.

The new gaps in our knowledge aren't being filled by religion. I haven't seen anyone (of sound mind) stating things like "We don't quite understand how quantum mechanics works; therefore GHod".

GHod particle?

GHod particle?

That's just really, really lazy journalism. If they were looking for something idiot-proof then mass particle or gravity particle would have been closer to being accurate and still something people could remember.

I don't think anyone really suggested that GHod was hidden in that particle did they?

I actually think religion can be a good thing, if it helps those who have gone through or are going through something bad in their life like Roy1983, then if it gives that person strength, courage or whatever then that can only be a good thing. But it should be a personal thing, whatever anyone believes in whether its GHod, Alcohol, Football, Drugs whatever, it should be kept personal and not forced onto people. If you are muslim, catholic, hindu whatever and it makes you happy then thats cool, just don't try and force it down anyone else including your children, friends, family or anyone for that matter. People should be left free to make up their own minds in life not controlled in any way.

I think a lot of the religious nuts deep down knows that their belief is a load of *******s, but they continue to use it for what it's worth in terms of gaining power and staying in power. Islam has just been a very convenient vehicle for a bunch of very angry and power hungry men, that probably would've been just as angry and power hungry if they didn't have the islam vehicle to ride.

The best way to sort this out once and for all would be to get one person from each religion in a room, okay its a big room, lets say there's a thousand religions (i know theres probably loads more but anyway), so thats a thousand different people with a thousand different Gods right?

So we say to them all:

1. You all believe in yours is the true religion - Yes/No
2. You all believe yours is the true and only GHod. - Yes/No
3. There are 1000 of you in this room, if there is indeed a GHod then 999 of you are being lied to. Yes/No
4. Prove that they are lying and you're the one that isn't being lied to.......

We could run it a bit like the world cup, all the nutty ones with not many followers have to go through qualifying rounds, the big boys come in later......imagine the viewing figures, who would be the dark horse..... my money would be on Scientology, they'd just send in Travolta to "Pulpit fiction" the lot of them.

\o/

sadly that wouldn't work, because

arguing-with-a-believer-is-like-playing-chess-600x257.jpg

The best way to sort this out once and for all would be to get one person from each religion in a room, okay its a big room, lets say there's a thousand religions (i know theres probably loads more but anyway), so thats a thousand different people with a thousand different Gods right?

So we say to them all:

1. You all believe in yours is the true religion - Yes/No
2. You all believe yours is the true and only GHod. - Yes/No
3. There are 1000 of you in this room, if there is indeed a GHod then 999 of you are being lied to. Yes/No
4. Prove that they are lying and you're the one that isn't being lied to.......

We could run it a bit like the world cup, all the nutty ones with not many followers have to go through qualifying rounds, the big boys come in later......imagine the viewing figures, who would be the dark horse..... my money would be on Scientology, they'd just send in Travolta to "Pulpit fiction" the lot of them.

\o/

Or you could just lock the door and the world would be better of by 1000 believers.

What do you call a person who likes to believe in something greater than man, calls himself a Christian, yet still has the common sense to know GHod isn't actually real and all the amazing feats of Jesus Blaine were just made up bonfire stories similar to the 5 gentlemen Monty P sketch?

Good thread btw, I enjoy reading all your views.

One thing I shall touch on here and I not wish to give to much away about myself but when following the 12 steps the one I always struggled with was praying to a higher power. It is why I can never understand religious people this blind faith in something else being out there just seem so far fetched to me.

One thing I shall touch on here and I not wish to give to much away about myself but when following the 12 steps the one I always struggled with was praying to a higher power. It is why I can never understand religious people this blind faith in something else being out there just seem so far fetched to me.

I relate

Oh by the way, I don't actually think the Iraq war was a good idea. It wasn't planned properly. Or at least post-invasion it was a total cluster ****.

I think toppling the Saddam regime was a valid aim, but to have no real viable plan to follow this up with has essentially left rival factions, sects and clans to fight over the power vacuum and led indirectly to the emergence of IS.

We also withdrew far too early under political pressure back home in the west. They did the invasion, we should have seen it through.

The invasion wasn't illegal IMO. It had legitimate aims. Funny that many Muslims see the Iraq invasion as a crusader attack against Islam. Saddam killed and suppressed 1000s of Muslims and destabilized the entire region.

Most people at the time thought the invasion of Iraq was at least in part in response to 9/11...

It was odd after 9/11 that Iraq was invade because of apparently weapons of mass destruction..Didn't Blair say in Parliament that these weapons could be launched against the west.
Was iraq used as a spacegoat for 9/11. ?

Back