• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pape Matar Sarr

elmo-sesame-street.gif

Use the 'image' button to post the URL to the gif instead of uploading it.

Cheers

To me it seems that Conte and the coaching staff are doing a really good job with Sarr.

Bit over half a season since he arrived. Having started 22 games in the previous season for a team in League 1 that got relegated. Iirc often playing a slightly more advanced role than central midfielders do in our system.

20 years old. Holding his own (and more) in a CL knockout game against Milan. Doing rather well in the NLD. Getting some sub appearances as well and looking good. All of this in a deep midfield role.

Of course most of that is on him. Tells us that he's a really talented young footballer probably doing a lot of hard work to improve. But I think it also points to good work from the manager and coaches.

I know Pochettino had some glorious examples with Alli and Dier in particular. Sarr is at a similar age now to what Dier was when he broke through for us and the competition for places is significantly harder now.

I don't think he's looked like his wings have been clipped. I do think he will have more to offer as he continues his development, but he's 20 that's just reality for 99% of players at that age. I think he looks to be settling in about as well as we could have hoped for.
Let's be honest....He wouldn't of played a minute if it wasn't for injuries and suspensions.

I wouldn't be praising Conte for this for one minute.

Let's be honest....He wouldn't of played a minute if it wasn't for injuries and suspensions.

I wouldn't be praising Conte for this for one minute.

Started getting some minutes before our injury situation in central midfield was as bad as it currently is. After reports that he had impressed Conte during the World Cup break (after returning from the WC).

Injuries and suspensions leading to game time for younger squad players is hardly a surprise or a bad thing. My point is mostly that when that chance came he looked ready and performed well. I think doing good work with young players extends well beyond just giving them minutes. Would be rather surprising if he just slotted in like this without there being good work in training from the player and coaching staff.

I have no issues with calling out Conte for his limited trust in younger players. But in this case I think every sign is that Sarr is progressing rather well. Why isn't some praise for Conte and the coaching staff in order?

Started getting some minutes before our injury situation in central midfield was as bad as it currently is. After reports that he had impressed Conte during the World Cup break (after returning from the WC).

Injuries and suspensions leading to game time for younger squad players is hardly a surprise or a bad thing. My point is mostly that when that chance came he looked ready and performed well. I think doing good work with young players extends well beyond just giving them minutes. Would be rather surprising if he just slotted in like this without there being good work in training from the player and coaching staff.

I have no issues with calling out Conte for his limited trust in younger players. But in this case I think every sign is that Sarr is progressing rather well. Why isn't some praise for Conte and the coaching staff in order?
I fully agree with your 'mostly point'.

I just think they were backed into a corner with giving him minutes.

I take it the good work has not resonated with Bissouma?

Without a doubt.

It takes different players different amounts of time to adapt and Conte has said on a few occasions that Bissouma wasn't up to speed yet. That knowledge will have come from working on the training ground with him as well.

I think Sarr is a different profile to the usual young players who get minutes here and there. He's up for the Golden Boy award, has played at a WC at 20, he's won the AFCon, he's won the African youth player of the year award etc, etc. He's a kid who has been identified as having very high potential and the pathway for his success is kind of laid out. He should really have been one of the first subs for a CM from the start of the season or at the least getting minutes sooner rather than as an afterthought. A different coach would have likely given him more game time much sooner.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Could be that they were backed into a corner. Again though, reports that Conte really liked what he saw from Sarr in training during the WC break. When he first got minutes against Villa and Palace we had Bentancur missing, but it wasn't forced. I think it's at least as likely that he was then seen as ready and started getting minutes when the possibility came (in part because of an injury, but not forced). The starts have been forced I guess, but that's fine imo.

No, hasn't really worked with Bissouma so far. I don't think it's unusual for a player to need time. The role and style of play here compared to Brighton is rather different. Has worked with Emerson, hasn't really worked with Sessegnon so far. That's usually how these things go.

I think Sarr is a different profile to the usual young players who get minutes here and there. He's up for the Golden Boy award, has played at a WC at 20, he's won the AFCon, he's won the African youth player of the year award etc, etc. He's a kid who has been identified as having very high potential and the pathway for his success is kind of laid out. He should really have been one of the first subs for a CM from the start of the season or at the least getting minutes sooner rather than as an afterthought. A different coach would have likely given him more game time much sooner.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

He's clearly very talented and was really highly rated back when we signed him and loaned him back.

Going from a relegation scrap in League 1 to a CL chasing PL team still a big step up. That taking half a season, or a season or even longer isn't anything strange. Even for an older and more experienced player that wouldn't be strange. For a 20 year old I take no issues with it at all.

Yes he was in that AFCON winning team. Played 13 minutes from what I can see online. Got 58 minutes at the World Cup. Not as a starter, was behind players that wouldn't get into our starting lineup imo.

He's not a finished product yet, but seems to be developing nicely. We don't know how he would have played from the start of the season when less integrated, less time to adjust to the role through training.

I really struggle to see why there's an issue with how his development is being handled.

He's clearly very talented and was really highly rated back when we signed him and loaned him back.

Going from a relegation scrap in League 1 to a CL chasing PL team still a big step up. That taking half a season, or a season or even longer isn't anything strange. Even for an older and more experienced player that wouldn't be strange. For a 20 year old I take no issues with it at all.

Yes he was in that AFCON winning team. Played 13 minutes from what I can see online. Got 58 minutes at the World Cup. Not as a starter, was behind players that wouldn't get into our starting lineup imo.

He's not a finished product yet, but seems to be developing nicely. We don't know how he would have played from the start of the season when less integrated, less time to adjust to the role through training.

I really struggle to see why there's an issue with how his development is being handled.

You can look at what bentancur had achieved at the same age. Hjojberg was playing for byern at 17. Even skipp had won the championship and had been picked in the championship team of the year.

They are all good players. You have to be, to get in a premier league squad.

Reactions: DTA
You can look at what bentancur had achieved at the same age. Hjojberg was playing for byern at 17. Even skipp had won the championship and had been picked in the championship team of the year.

They are all good players. You have to be, to get in a premier league squad.

Definitely not saying that he isn't good.

Took Hojbjerg quite a few years and a stay at Southampton before he was a regular starter for us. It taking a bit of time for Sarr is fine.

Definitely not saying that he isn't good.

Took Hojbjerg quite a few years and a stay at Southampton before he was a regular starter for us. It taking a bit of time for Sarr is fine.

I think he is agreeing with you.

And he brings up a good reminder about how good/highly rated the other three players were before they got out of their teens.

Maybe we could play a three in midfield if game is going our way on Thursday?
The way Sheffield United like to counter-attack it might be a key option ...

Back