• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Overall grade for the transfer window

Grade our transfer window

• A

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • B

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • C

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • D

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • E

• F

• U (Ungraded)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
only investing money we raised from sales, how is that fcuking amazing???

we are weaker now than at the end of last season

lets see who we sell in Jan to raise more funds

I think you are totally wrong on the first two points.

Why does it matter that they have only spent money raised from sales? there were a lot of sales, money from players who weren't playing - Bassong, Gio, Niko, Corluka.. and then the 2 bigger names. But that money has been invested wisely. Would you prefer to sell no one and then end up spending 30m just to say we spent 30m?! this is the smart way of doing it.

Vertonghen replaces King.
Lloris adds to the squad.
Dembele, Sigurdsson, Dempsey replaces Modric, van der Vaart and Niko (maybe).
Adebayor and Dempsey signed for the price of Steven Fletcher... some perspective?

They are all good players. We have bought potential, and have a good coach to turn that into a reality.

I don't get the down side. We knew Modric wanted to go over a year ago. Rafa's a 60 minutes player, so it needs 2 players to cover him. We have a mix of class from overseas and proven Prem players. You all moan about 'not proven in the Prem' well here's some.

Gave it a C as while Moutinho was always a huge ask, I feel the targets we did eventually sign could have been signed much earlier. We've trimmed the wage bill though and have a squad more suited to our managers style of play. But we could have had Dempsey, Dembele and Ade all done in time for the opening day. I think we'd have done Saudi Sportswashing Machine over and WBA. Were now playing catch-up. Saying that Lloris is a real coup and very pleased with him and Dembele while I think Dempsey will be a big character in the dressing room and covers all positions in the front 3 potentially.

well put.

The problem is that Moutinho wasnt going to be the icing on the cake, he was THE player we needed. Dempsey etc would have been fine to compliment the squad AFTER we had secured the real quality we needed for the heart of the team.

We don't have the player that is going to make us tick over anymore. Are we not intending on being a posession team?

Its a D for me. This could be a long old season.

Suit yourself. Be miserable if you wish.

We have a game to win today. And then an international break before the new guys (excl Dembele, maybe) can play. Hopefully your pants will be untwisted by then.

Dempsey is a bit of a Pienaar/Murphy signing for me.

No doubt decent enough player, but can't really see what they offer. Shame, as i bet we'd have all been excited if we signed him at the start of the window!

I wonder if Levy just thought he'd be able to get more than £6mill for him next year?

Perhaps there was other striker-type targets, but they didn't happen, but we needed quick cover?

It remains to be seen what effect Lloris and Dembele will have on our performance. But surely Dempsey is a last minute panic buy. Would have been happy if we had not let VDV leave or signed Moutinho. Overall not happy with this transfer window.

Having Bale, Townsend, Adebayor, Defoe, Dempsey & Lennon competing for the front 3 spots simply isn't good enough. Townsend is unproven, Defoe doesn't fit the system, Lennon doesn't score enough and I don't believe Dempsey will get anywhere near repeating last season.

All well and good saying we have replaced King, Modric & VDV, albeit with inferior players but the same problems we've had with our forward line (probably since Berba left) still exist. We will still have problems breaking down.the lesser teams at home as we just dont have anyone to put the ball in the net.

New manager but same unimaginative transfers.

C for me, losing Modric and VdV makes giving it a B or better not possible, at least as long as we didn't sign Moutinho.

We made several purchases that I think will turn out very good, I was hoping for all of Ade, Vertonghen and Dembele at the start of the window and we got all 3 of them. Sig and Dempsey both look good and we've brought in a very highly rated goalkeeper as well. We've changed the look of the squad a bit with players that I feel will fit better with AVB.

Well done in a difficult situation imo. Modric desperately wanted away to the point of refusing to train and play. King retired, Friedel is 41 and VdV at 29 and with fitness issues was at a point where letting him go wasn't a bad idea when thinking long term.

We've brought in several tried and tested Premiership players, I was slightly worried earlier in the window that we under AVB would bring in too many players that were new to the league, but we got a good mix in the end in my opinion.

There was a lot of work to be done this summer, AVB had to assess the squad, bring in his own coaches and backroom staff, get the right players in and rejuvenate the squad a bit. In addition to the normal pre-season work and the Modric saga. Now we're in a good positions where AVB can work on the squad and send his scouts out to identify the right signings for January and next summer.

Having Bale, Townsend, Adebayor, Defoe, Dempsey & Lennon competing for the front 3 spots simply isn't good enough. Townsend is unproven, Defoe doesn't fit the system, Lennon doesn't score enough and I don't believe Dempsey will get anywhere near repeating last season.

All well and good saying we have replaced King, Modric & VDV, albeit with inferior players but the same problems we've had with our forward line (probably since Berba left) still exist. We will still have problems breaking down.the lesser teams at home as we just dont have anyone to put the ball in the net.

New manager but same unimaginative transfers.

Hugo Lloris - French captain and among the highest rated goalkeepers outside the top clubs in Europe.
Jan Vertonghen - Footballer of the year in Holland, Belgian international and Ajax captain.
Adebayor - Well, we know what he can do.

Dembele, Sig and Dempsey will also be very good signings I think.

I think its interesting what other people are saying about us. They seem to think we have had a fantastic window. Modric was always going to go and to be honest with Sig, sandro, parker, Demb, Hudd, Livermore we should be fine in central midfield. Also going forward we have a choice of Sig, Demb, Bale, Lennon Dempsey, Ade, Defoe, Townsend in an interchangeable team. I don't feel that we have gone forward as a first 11 but i feel that we have gone great strides in making a squad that can be adapted depending on our opposition. So overall a B.

I think its interesting what other people are saying about us. They seem to think we have had a fantastic window. Modric was always going to go and to be honest with Sig, sandro, parker, Demb, Hudd, Livermore we should be fine in central midfield. Also going forward we have a choice of Sig, Demb, Bale, Lennon Dempsey, Ade, Defoe, Townsend in an interchangeable team. I don't feel that we have gone forward as a first 11 but i feel that we have gone great strides in making a squad that can be adapted depending on our opposition. So overall a B.

It's funny isn't it? I had 3 texts off non-spurs supporting mates last night after the deadline saying Dempsey and Lloris and Dembele were unbelievable signings.

A lot of non-spurs are very impressed.

It's all about expectations. We heard all these stories linking us to Willian and Moutinho and llorente etc who were never going to be realistic after we missed out on champions league so some on here are feeling disappointed as their expectations weren't met.

However we've gone round picking up some of the best talent from last years premiership outside the top 4 in demsey, Dembele and sigurdsson. We beat Liverpool to two of those and man Utd failed with an earlier move for Dembele.

We brought in Vertonghen who was one of the best talents around outside the big leagues in Europe and to top it all we landed one of our genuine marquee signing targets in the FRANCE NUMBER ONE and one of the best keepers in the world currently- but some feel let down?

I've given it an E.

Overall I'm pleased with the signings we've made. Very pleased in fact and if I were to rate the signings I'd give them a b or c but. And this is a but of Susan Boyle proportions. AND I'm gonna sound like a broken record here. In October last year, when we narrowly scraped a 1-0 home win over West Brom, our performance was terrible. Lennon was out of the side for the first time and we had no back up and their defence really didn't have to do too much to cope with the rest of us. I said then we needed a new winger. I said in January we needed a new winger and a new striker. Disastrously that transfer window passed without us signing a new winger but we did get a stop gap of a new striker - someone who would have to make do, and although half decent, was never gonna challenge to be our top scorer. Fast forward to now and were still in exactly the same situation as we were last October. No new winger. No marquee striker signing. That is a disgrace. Absolutely nothing short of a disgrace. I know we still haven't had time to see what will happen under this manager when Lennon tweaks a hammy, which he will, but we ALL know that we are glaringly short of cover down that side and this has not been addressed.

Lloris, world class. Siggy and Dembele - brilliant, the 2 prem players I most wanted to sign when asked at the end of the season. Dempsey, will hopefully fill the gap left by VDV but we'll see. Vertonghen is a great signing too. Adebayor is a snip at £5m and we know he fits in the team (when he fancies it). But I honestly feel that had we brought in Moutinho and Remy or Willian plus Llorente then we'd have a squad capable of challenging for the title. Now we've just got to cross our fingers that we can get results when our wingers are out.

Happy with who we've got, slightly disappointed in who we tried to but didn't, but angry and concerned that we didn't apparently try to address our squads most glaring deficiency.

For me it's a B.

A very good window which just stopped short of being amazing due to Porto/Zahavi being greedy.

C. We sold our two best players and replaced them with some good ones. We made a £10m profit though, well done Levy.

C+ from me

But perhaps we need to look more into squad balance than man-for-man replacements

Back line for me - massive improvement in the GK department and added potentially a very good CB

In the middle - Dembele holds tremendous potential, I'm very excited about this one in particular.

As for Modric' replacement - guys - remember, when Modric arrived he was very much a 'potential' player, not the 30m-rated class playmaker - he developed into that with us, but he arrived as a player of appreciating quality and value (vintage Levy) - therefore (imv) we can only replace him with a 'potential' Modric (not Dembele per se, but perhaps in January we can re-look the situation) not a 'finished' 30m one. We are still the same Spurs of 6-7 years ago, same size stadium, etc.

Sigurdsson is not as good as VdV (at this point in time, he's almost 7 years younger!) but something tells me the latter wanted out long ago. I thought about this last night and his wife's tweets hinted as much. Perhaps we simply waited to see if HSV would match our valuation and he was off - I suppose at the end of the day his marriage would last longer than his football career so one needs to prioritise. Still, he gave us tremendous 2 seasons.

Ade - same as before - massive bargain

Demspey - I was really disappointed with this one last night but now that he's with us, we need to support him and hopefully he'll surprise many of us. He's always been a hard grafter and this is nowhere near the Saha/Pav level of nothingness, so we have in actual fact improved our 3rd striker. Another strong point is his understanding with Dembele in addition to the fact we no seemingly hold more 'pull' that Liverpool

Again, even though we might be weaker man-for-man in certain positions, I feel the squad balance has overall improved while many cloggers have been shipped out.

P.S. I strongly suspect Moutinho was never on, a mere hoax fabricated to boost viewing numbers on deadline day since none of the other Top 6 teams were bound to make any big dealings yesterday, think about it - City aside - Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Newcaslte were all done - so they had to generate interest in what has been the most predictable 'transfer' this whole summer.

Last edited:
P.S. I strongly suspect Moutinho was never on, a mere hoax fabricated to boost viewing numbers on deadline day since none of the other Top 6 teams were bound to make any big dealings on deadline day - City aside - Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Newcaslte were all done - so they had to generate interest in what has been the most predictable 'transfer' this whole summer.

Why would Moutinho's agent help perpetuate this hoax by being at spurs lodge?

You can believe what you wish, really - if this was indeed our no.1 target (in terms of priority and expenditure) the fact we left it for the last day of the window (better yet last few hours!) is inexscusable and reeks of too many plot holes

Anything they've been supposedly discussing last night could have been done the day before, the week before, hell - the day Modric' fee was agreed! Why wait so late and jeopardise a cruical player?

We've been after him for months allegedly - are you honesltly trying to tell me we didn't know his wage demands and ownership details by now?

Sorry, I'm not having any of this, mate

But as I said - besides this one - the rest have been good solid buys

Last edited:
Back