• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One player from history

If you could pick one player from our history for current team who would it be?

• Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berbatov

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Gascoigne

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Greaves

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Lineker

• Mackay

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Perryman

• Other (name 'em)

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Great point re: injury record and leadership...the perfect skipper actually...

...non-Spurs player from history? Zidane no question. One of my favorite players ever. If Harry was still manager? Maradona. (sigh - better qualify this before someone takes it as a negative)...I don't think Maradona and AVB could work together as Maradona was an old-skool maverick. I think harry would have given him plenty of love, the freedom of the park and a spot in the hole behind a striker to do whatever he wanted...which frankly WAS whatever he wanted! I saw him play twice in person, a phenomenal player.

Brilliant post.

So many people wound up so subtly. ;)

He would get through to those who think they are too big for the club & stop any indiscipline ( I once saw him almost grab Clive Allen by the throat, who was trying to get himself sent off for dissent. He always had THFC as No1 & not himself. Plus he was very rarely injured) He could also play in any position in midfield / defence & play well
Great shout. Remember how he could always be relied upon when everything else looked lost to come careering to the rescue with his brilliantly-timed sliding tackles.

Surprised to hear about the Allen incident though, he always came across as a decent bloke, hardly the type who was too big for his boots anyroad.

I voted for Gascoigne, the ability to go round players and create space would make him ideal for the current team except that he was bonkers half the time and with the current application of the laws he probably wouldn't last half a game.
one player missing from the list who would really fit in at the moment would be Martin Peters, described by Alf Ramsey as 10 years ahead of his time he would be perfect in the Clint Dempsey role. He was a complete player on the ball comfortable on either foot, a good tackler (sadly Glenn's major failing) and his ability to arrive late in the box and score goals was uncanny. Because so much of his work was done off the ball (and he had indirectly replaced Jimmy Greaves) he was never a major fan favourite but I would be prepared to bet that he was the first name that Bill Nicholson wrote on the team sheet.

I voted for Gascoigne, the ability to go round players and create space would make him ideal for the current team except that he was bonkers half the time and with the current application of the laws he probably wouldn't last half a game.
one player missing from the list who would really fit in at the moment would be Martin Peters, described by Alf Ramsey as 10 years ahead of his time he would be perfect in the Clint Dempsey role. He was a complete player on the ball comfortable on either foot, a good tackler (sadly Glenn's major failing) and his ability to arrive late in the box and score goals was uncanny. Because so much of his work was done off the ball (and he had indirectly replaced Jimmy Greaves) he was never a major fan favourite but I would be prepared to bet that he was the first name that Bill Nicholson wrote on the team sheet.
Well he was always regarded as a bit of a fairy, wasn't he. Which is ridiculous when you come to think about it. For a start any player had to be pretty tough to survive at the top level. Tackling was that much more reckless in those days but he never went in for the kind of antics you see nowadays. Maybe we owed him a bit more respect.

Back