• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham vs. Lyon

Properly looking forward to this. It's "only the Europa League", but Lyon are a good side and have been in the CL more often than not. Good opposition, Europe, chance to go on a run, knockout stages...

I agree with Stinkfoot that Bale will start. Will be interesting to see how much, if at all, AVB changes things for this one. Week off between the EL games, could easily see him start our best 11 in the first match at the very least. Try to get a couple of goals and then possibly rest a player or two for the away leg. Could see Friedel get a start just to keep him fresh I suppose, but wouldn't be surprised to see Lloris either. Knockout stages, good opposition, Lloris is our best keeper.

Would like to see Siggy get a run out. Maybe a goal can spark his season.

Ive been looking forward to this game for a while now; granted, its not the Champions League, but a European game against a renowned European team is intriguing in any circumstance. The league is the priority, but I think that part of the thinking behind taking this so seriously is that if we're to get to where we want to be we're going to have to learn how to win two-legged continental ties, and still perform at home. I've got a feeling that Villas-Boas might rest Lennon and play Sig...Lennon has played alot this season, and Sigs set-piece taking/lack of games/lack of confidence are all good reasons to give him a run out. Bale will probably be dying tor revel in his newly attained status by dominating a game in Europe, so may as well let him. Ade's performance will be the most important thing about this game anyway...i think its a great stage for him to kick off a little run.

Cant wait for this, a proper european game under lights and hopefully sold out too..

AVB to play his strongest team as we have a week inbetween games and then its only a short hop across the channel for the 2nd leg too

See this is why Europa isn't a total write-off (according to some), should be a cracker. Looking forward to it!

----------------Friedel----------------
Walker---Dawson--Vertonghen-BAE
Lennon---Parker-----Thudd-----Bale
-----------------Holtby----------------
-------------------Ade-----------------

And in a perfect world, we win this and finish in the top 4, but I just can't see it happening. As much as I would love to win a trophy, the league is the most important competition for me anyway.

Agree. Winning this means another 9 games while there are only 12 games left in the league. The team looked tired after the EL group stage games and our squad is not deep enough to rotate everyone. Securing a CL spot is more important than winning this cup.

Cant wait for this, a proper european game under lights and hopefully sold out too..

AVB to play his strongest team as we have a week inbetween games and then its only a short hop across the channel for the 2nd leg too

Looks like there's still a lot available on the ticket office website. Most of the upper teir in all the stands is still yellow, even some green.

Agree. Winning this means another 9 games while there are only 12 games left in the league. The team looked tired after the EL group stage games and our squad is not deep enough to rotate everyone. Securing a CL spot is more important than winning this cup.

I agree 100% with all of that and agree that ordinarily I would rest players for the EL in order to benefit hte league. However we have a week until our next game so plenty of time for players to put their feet up. Should play a strong team in this league and then consider resting one or two for the second lague if we get a decent result. Lyon are second in france though so wont be easy

Some players like Dembele and Adebayor also need games to try to rediscover some form. We have enough defs for some rotation there without weakning the team - Verts and Benny didnt start at the weekend for instance.

My bigger concern is subsequent rounds and if EL games end up falling before big league games....

with no game over the weekend there is no reason we cant go full pelt here.

----------------------Lloris-------------------------
Walker------Dawson--------Vertonghen-------Ekotto
-------------Parker-------Dembele------------------
-----Lennon------Holtby-------------Bale-----------
------------------Adebayor-------------------------

Realistically it will be Friedel, Gallas and probably Clint all starting

Play our full strength team, go out from the off and thrash them 4-0. Then rest our important players in the away leg next week.

With the way players usually perform against their old clubs,Lloris has to play. There is absolutely no point in rotating goalkeepers for the sake of giving a different one a game,especially a 40+ year old who will be gone next season. If it was for a kid to give him a bit of experience,you could see the point.

Friedel just signed a new deal that runs until next summer so he won't be gone next season and I assume it was under the previso of him at least playing cup games.

Has he? Missed that one.

I still see no point "resting" Lloris in a knockout European game against his former team.

Same goes for resting any of our better players at this stage of the competition. You won't win it by doing that and if we don't want to win it it should have been sacked off months ago.

I am confidently predicting a win on Thursday. I am taking my eldest son (aka Lucky Luke) to his 9th game and his record is now 8 wins and 1 draw (and that draw was away at Middlesborough), and my youngest to his first ever Spurs game. They are both desperate to see Bale play, and Benny (for Luke) and Hugo for Josh. Me, I just want a good game, and a win please by two goals at least. If you are in the North stand lower, please mind the language... it's quite difficult to explain to a 7 year old who the clown shoe in the black is! ;)

Has he? Missed that one.

I still see no point "resting" Lloris in a knockout European game against his former team.

Same goes for resting any of our better players at this stage of the competition. You won't win it by doing that and if we don't want to win it it should have been sacked off months ago.

This

Would be an absolutely ludicrous decision playing a 41-year old who's had virtually no game time in 4 months and must have lost considerable fitness / match sharpness

And all that in place of one of our Top 3 performers at the moment in a very emotional game on his 'return'

Not a chance.

Last edited:
We will win, but it wont be enough to get us through the tie.

I love the people that think we can just drop players and breeze past Lyon lol. Did you all not learn anything from brick teams like Leeds or Norwich ?

Back