• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****OMT-Tottenham v QPR******

GrimsbyYid I do agree about HR never changing things or changing them too slowly during the game. He'd wait an age to make a sub when it was obvious, often too late.

I hope AVB comes good. It is a really tough job. New players. 2 of the best players gone. Its not AVBs tactics, I have reservations as to whether AVB can handle the psychology side of things. How to get individuals believing in themselves and playing. How to prep a team before it walks out, know that this will be really tough. I don't think AVB is in Ferguson, HRs, etc league with these things.

When did you ever see a HR team start a game like that? We were tame. No belief. More rabits caught in the headlights. We didn't look mentally prepared. Of course they were going to close us down and fight for everything. Hughes teams always do. I don;t think tactics had anything to do with it.

GrimsbyYid I do agree about HR never changing things or changing them too slowly during the game. He'd wait an age to make a sub when it was obvious, often too late.

I hope AVB comes good. It is a really tough job. New players. 2 of the best players gone. Its not AVBs tactics, I have reservations as to whether AVB can handle the psychology side of things. How to get individuals believing in themselves and playing. How to prep a team before it walks out, know that this will be really tough. I don't think AVB is in Ferguson, HRs, etc league with these things.

When did you ever see a HR team start a game like that? We were tame. No belief. More rabits caught in the headlights. We didn't look mentally prepared. Of course they were going to close us down and fight for everything. Hughes teams always do. I don;t think tactics had anything to do with it.

It's not look amazing at the minute, but i thought we looked very good against lazio. And we're undefeated since Saudi Sportswashing Machine (which I feel we should have got something out of). I personally think Ade is the biggest loss for us, he gives us so many options in attack which Defoe doesn't; I like Defoe but just think he limits us a little; but then he's banging them in... Saying that, I think he'll be very good against man U if we can get some good counters on,

But that wasn't my point. My point was when we were playing badly, or a formation didn't work. Not us coming from a goal down. I guess it's all opinions, but I always thought Harry was perfect when we had a full squad; as that full squad and our football were usually good enough to win the match, even if we came from a goal down. But if we had players out injured, or we couldn't break a team down; he couldn't change it, or moved players out of position; I thought he was bad at this. But don't think I didn't like Harry, I did, and we were incredible under him. It's just this constant Harry eulogising, it's the past for a start, but also it's been incredibly rose tinted now and whatever AVB does he's brick compared. (I realise the harry haters have gone to the other extreme)

But last season we were a goal down to QPR at half time and Harry changed formation. He took off Sandro and brought on Lennon at HT.

Despite that it's not as if we won today because of a great ability to change things. The second half performance was better, but in no way good and the turn around was due to an OG. The changes weren't inspired. The starting line up was just not the right one. But last week at Reading most fans thought he started the wrong team and we played well. Sometimes managers get things right and deserve credit as AVB got last week. This week, we won, but I don't he deserves much credit.

We looked like a different team in the second half.

But I think QPR can consider themselves very hard done by to leave the Lane today empty-handed.

Still, three points in the bag.

Onwards & upwards!

It's not look amazing at the minute, but i thought we looked very good against lazio. And we're undefeated since Saudi Sportswashing Machine (which I feel we should have got something out of). I personally think Ade is the biggest loss for us, he gives us so many options in attack which Defoe doesn't; I like Defoe but just think he limits us a little; but then he's banging them in... Saying that, I think he'll be very good against man U if we can get some good counters on,

Maybe you're right. I'm too harsh on AVB. I honestly hope so and that he will prove all doubters wrong. With today's first half performance, it did not look good. A manager has to be able to get a team to perform. He has to motivate, and enhance individuals belief in their ability. We can put the poor first half down to missing VDV, Modric, Ade and Parker plus integrating new players. I still have reservations.

crazy looking at bbc stats we had 18 shots to their 9, more possession, more corners... certainly didnt feel that way

townsend has played a total of 1 minute in 2 games and should have had 2 assists but poor finishing from defoe

I'm thinking he's worth a start soon or at least a few more minutes on the pitch than he has been getting.

Last edited:

Off the top of my head, just from the end of last season:

Everton away
Stoke home
Norwich home
QPR away

There are plenty more examples if you look back.

We massively underestimated QPR today, that's for sure. And AVB got the tactics badly wrong at the start of the game. But let's not re-write history. I think Scott Parker would have been a big influence today if he'd been available, making sure everybody stayed focused, instead of expecting to face last season's relegation struggling side that came to WHL instead of the one now that has a strong spine of Cesar, Granero, Park, Hoillet and Zamora, with a far better manager in Hughes than Warnock.

The first half was utter dire as i said at half time.

However the changes were made and we looked much better and at least i can sit here and think over the course of the game we deserved a point and am thankful with the 3. I think QPR were alot better than i thought they would be and will cause a few teams problems this year but it doesnt excuse the first half performance where no-one seemed to have a clue what they were doing and coming off the back of 2 decent performances I, and im sure im not the only one expected better.

Still that aside Caulker was good when he came on, he seems to be able to do what none of our other players can do from corners and win the ball and put it back into a dangerous era or on goal (decent defender as well). Vertonghen was brilliant, i think we have an amazing player there and he now seems to be coming into his own.

Postives to take away. I'm hopeful we wont see a performance that bad again for a while [-o<

Happy to get the 3 points although maybe a draw would have been fair result. Haven't seen a first half that bad in ages! Much improved 2nd half though, and could have nicked a few more on the counter. Only worrying aspect for me was how deep we went in the last 15minutes! We had huddleston sandro dembele all sitting deep right in front of our already deep back 4, inviting pressure on. Was thinking we had another Norwich or West Brom all over again

'fudge me' as you say, you're a fudging dull fudger aint you!?!?! No surprise you have Grim in your name. Is it, up norf?

Sandro has bursts of amazing talent - mazy runs, sensational tackles - but then can't make 4 yard passes or turn with the ball. If he add more control to his game, he'd be a sensational player. I wasn't saying he's brick. But that he can be a world beater one moment, and rubish the next.

As for being negative, do you think we'd have won that game without the og?

Sandro fought and fought and fought today, very important player indeed...as for the second comment, yes. I called it at HT so long as AVB saw the obvious (that Sig and Dempsey cannot be in the same side in the way he wants to set us up). I always felt we'd get it back. Yes, we got lucky with the OG BUT Caulker represents a genuine set-piece/corner threat, something we haven't had for quite a while.

As an aside, I thought Aaron Lennon was excellent today, a total team performance and excellent, tireless coverage duty. I was personally very very disappointed in how Bale went about his first-half; I understand that it was not ideal (for him or us as it turned out) but I really did not care for his less-than-focussed application to the task at hand.

I thought it was painfully clear how much we miss Ekotto today, and it was absolutely clear from the moment Verts dropped in at LB and Bale was pushed up, that space was then able to open up in the middle; Dempsy, right now, over Sig for me...it's frustrating with Sig. I can see the player he aspires to be, but sadly, for me, the jury remains firmly out. I refuse to write anyone off this early, but right now, Dempsey should start there.

Proud of the fight and spirit. COYS!

Duncan Castles @DuncanCastles
Another interesting #THFC statistic from Premier League TV. 1st time in almost 2 years they've come from a goal down to win in the League.

townsend has played a total of 1 minute in 2 games and should have had 2 assists but poor finishing from defoe
That would have been some stat - one assist every 30 seconds! :)

On another note, I'm happy to revise and retract my earlier observations about AvB seemingly not getting along with some of our players. It looks better now, I've had my horrible memory of orchestrated celebrations removed in the last two games. But the loss of one of the world's best playmakers means that it will require some time to get things right. I like the look of the "new Spurs", even if I don't always like the look of how we play.

Errr...Bale starting at left-back and Sig/Dempsey in the same side mot certainly hamstrung our first-half. The latter two cannot play together IMHO, AVB tried it, it failed and he made the change at HT. Just to put it into perspective, our first-choice LB is hurt, our second choice LB is hurt, and LB has become a very, very important position for us simply because of what Bale requires when he's out there. I don't think AVB will avoid using Verts at LB again when Benny is hurt...

Duncan Castles @DuncanCastles
Another interesting #THFC statistic from Premier League TV. 1st time in almost 2 years they've come from a goal down to win in the League.

thats a lie. I remember losing at West Brom last season before we turned that around to win 3-1

Errr...Bale starting at left-back and Sig/Dempsey in the same side mot certainly hamstrung our first-half. The latter two cannot play together IMHO, AVB tried it, it failed and he made the change at HT. Just to put it into perspective, our first-choice LB is hurt, our second choice LB is hurt, and LB has become a very, very important position for us simply because of what Bale requires when he's out there. I don't think AVB will avoid using Verts at LB again when Benny is hurt...

The turning point was not the og then?

We were brick today specially first half. Second half was MUCH better but it boils down to one thing and I have reiterated this in the past - we will struggle to break teams down hence our away form WILL be better and more impressive than home form. Second half all our better chances came through counter attack - which is basically Harrys football.

We were so so bad first half it was disgusting. I dont think Sig should be first teamer and I dont think he will... I am much happier with Dempsey. and no this is not making Sig a spacegoat I just dont want to play with eight or nine players but 11.

Im not sure if the players were tired but if they were then we need to rethink this whole Europa league thing. There was a reason why last season we played the kids and why our league form was brilliant (first half of season). I dont think tiredness was the reason because we were brick against Norwich/WBA too.

The turning point was not the og then?

Obviously it was 'a' turning point because we got an equalizer. If that's the point of your question. For me, the turning point of the match was seeing Verts at LB, Bale further up the pitch, Caulker in the back and Sig off to allow Dempsey the room, aka 'the half-time changes'. The way we lined up second-half was always going to get us back into the match. IMO.

Back