• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****OMT-Tottenham v QPR******

It's alarming to me how many people absolutely refuse to let go of the past, and allow it to override their common sense judgement about the present and the future. I've seen adjectives applied to today's game which are simply mind-boggling.

Obviously it was 'a' turning point because we got an equalizer. If that's the point of your question. For me, the turning point of the match was seeing Verts at LB, Bale further up the pitch, Caulker in the back and Sig off to allow Dempsey the room, aka 'the half-time changes'. The way we lined up second-half was always going to get us back into the match. IMO.

I agree with this. I thought it took 5-10 mins to properly settle down but there was a definite improvement straight off from the start of the 2nd half. I think its safe to say that AVB got it wrong with his initial line up but made the right decision at half time and ultimately it was his decision to change things which led to the result going in our favour in the end.

I think it was TMLK who said originally we would be better against the weaker teams in the league (at home at least) to revert back to similar formation that we played last season and after seeing the difference between the 2 halfs today this is what i am hoping AVB does from now on. We had far greater control of the game, even if we did have to fight for it.

Some of you are a joke, calling for AVB's head and longing for Redknapp ... when are you going to understand that this is a new team and these things take time?

Here is the team we started with 11 months ago at home to QPR -
Friedel
Walker Kaboul King Ekotto
Lennon Parker Modric Bale
Van Der Vaart
Adebayor​

And here is today's team -
Friedel
Walker Gallas Vertonghen Bale
Sandro Dembele
Lennon Sigurdsson Dempsey
Defoe​

Not sure whether you've noticed but there's quite a few half decent players in the lineup 11 months ago who didn't take to the pitch today(for varying reasons). Not to mention that QPR have improved since then, yes we should be beating them comfortably 9 times out of 10 but this is only the 5th or 6th game these players and manager have had together.

Some of you are a joke, calling for AVB's head and longing for Redknapp ... when are you going to understand that this is a new team and these things take time?

Friedel
Van Der Vaart
Adebayor​

Friedel
Sandro Dembele
Defoe​

Not sure whether you've noticed but there's quite a few half decent players in the lineup 11 months ago who didn't take to the pitch today(for varying reasons). Not to mention that QPR have improved since then, yes we should be beating them comfortably 9 times out of 10 but this is only the 5th or 6th game these players and manager have had together.

Well said Rossi!
=D>

But there is no balance at all in what you said as you've just criticized the manager whose team won the most points in the Prem from losing positions two seasons running (even though he wasn't in charge for 8 games of the 1st) for never changing it. It makes your point utterly absurd. There is no balance at all. Balance would be at least the changes had an effect and we won points from a losing position, the thing our previous manager did probably better than anyone else in the Prem during his reign. It would suggest AVB has Harry's gift for turning things round. Instead you insinuated Harry was bad at this.

A stat today which made me think of our little debate. This is the first time in nearly 2 years we have come from a goal down to win in the league.

Friedel
Van Der Vaart
Adebayor​

Friedel
Sandro Dembele
Defoe​

Wow. That is more than just the spine of the team. King Kaboul, Modric, Parker, Van der Vaart, Ade. Can't wait until we at least get Kaboul and Ade back.

Friedel
Van Der Vaart
Adebayor​

Friedel
Sandro Dembele
Defoe​

Indeed, the comments in this thread from the first half of the game are illuminatingly awful. Dispiriting really that people can think these things.

A stat today which made me think of our little debate. This is the first time in nearly 2 years we have come from a goal down to win in the league.

A lot of that would be because we have not been behind in games that often in the last 2 years. We were definitely didn't reverse enough score lines last season, but the season before I think we were in the top 3 again, in this respect and probably actually 1st, but I can't say for sure. We were certainly top in April, so probably were at the end of the season as well. We were top the previous season and from the point Harry took over in the 2008/9 season.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/match/49076/tottenham-vs-west-bromwich/preview

The first half was pretty brick though wasn't it?

To sit there and just say "these things take time" isn't natural.

We showed today that these palyers are capable of causing severe damage if they are played in the correct way. The first half shambles was not the correct way and I made damn sure the people sat near me today knew that I was not happy. Sitting there saying "oh well, we're dogbrick but these things take time" is why the lane is like a library these days!

Some QPR comments:

This was a game I didn't expect to get much from, but am now feeling robbed after seeing Rangers dominate Spuds for the best part of 75 minutes. If it wasn't for Brad Friedel then the entire away support, Mark Hughes and the team would have been smoking f**king huge Havanas by half time. 1-0 wasn't a fair reflection of the half, 3-0 would have been. At the start of the second half Spuds as expected came quickly out of the blocks but we looked more than comfortable and soon began to get on top again and it was only through a freak own goal from an otherwise peerless Ale Faurlin that they equalised, and then a minute later they broke for what was the winner. After that Rangers pressed and a last ditch tackle prevented Hoilett from grabbing a deserved equaliser and Spuds looked to just hit us on the break. But the performances are getting better and if a bit of luck starts to come our way then we will quickly climb the table. Nobody played badly today.

I've seen so many people say "great performance" on the forums & twitter etc & I dont think it was. I'm sick of playing well except in the penalty box & we are now in desperate need of points. Let's play brick & win.

Spurs were jammy and didn't deserve to win, but they did win. It happens in football. The worked a lot less hard for their win over us as we did over Liverpool but comparisons could be drawn.

Granero and Faurlin calmly making angles and dictating the pace, and Park providing constant options for the short pass and harassment off the ball to join in pressing moves, and we have the makings of a terrific midfield trio which can really dominate games. It'll be interesting to see where Mbia slots in, and Samba too, because there's probably enough defensive solidness there in the absence of an out-and-out ballwinner, they look very organised combined with the defensive role Hughes seems to like to give to wingers especially away from home.

Agree that Dyer had a very good game considering, bringing the ball out and cutting inside to draw midfielders playing some good searching balls, probably lucky that Dempsey was a bit of a shambles, when they shifted Bale up in the second half life looked harder for him - at that point we were playing quite high as well so a lot to ask of a makeshift rightback.

Firstly, we did not deserve to win, they did. Why? In the final 3rd, they were a constant threat and without really threatening our keeper, we were the team under most pressure, we did so bloody well to negate their attacking options as well as we did though, very proud of my team.

We bossed the midfield. We really did, but - we had no real attacking threat for all the good work we did in the middle third. Protecting the defence seemed to be the priority and we did that superbly.

Other than Faurlins unfortunate deflection, the defining moment for me was that AVB pushed Bale about 20m further upfield after HT and we had no idea how to deal with him.... When he was playing deep we were robbing the ball off him constantly and intercepting his passes, but once he was the on the shoulder of our defenders it changed the game... It's a shame we couldn't adapt because if we could have just frustrated him for 15mins longer I think we would have had the game tied up.

This, combined with Hoilet's hesitation after Zamora's totally unselfish lay off, effectively killed any chance we had of even 1 point.

So, Spaceman criticised Gallas after 4 minutes, saying he'd had enough of him already. Many others joined in later on saying he could no longer run and that Caulker should replace him from here on in. Surely we need his leadership qualities and experience in the team (and particularly in our back line)?

Armchair Expert criticised the line up, the team, the squad, every player, every blade of grass, every decision, every coach and the floodlights from before the game, during the game and afterwards. Then had the gall to admit he hadn't seen much of Dembele at Fulham so wasn't sure of him.

And TommyTank criticised Friedel for the goal, which was extremely harsh and Friedel made a string of good saves.

I know your "support" on here doesn't directly affect the team on the pitch in real time, but it is very wearing when you just line up to criticise anything and everything from the first minute. We all know Defoe isn't a mix of Tevez and Higuain and will have a lot of shots, but he scores in nearly every game so please cut him a bit of slack.

Dempsey has scored several [disallowed] goals for Spurs already, he is a good player so please cut him some slack also.

So, Spaceman criticised Gallas after 4 minutes, saying he'd had enough of him already. Many others joined in later on saying he could no longer run and that Caulker should replace him from here on in. Surely we need his leadership qualities and experience in the team (and particularly in our back line)?

Armchair Expert criticised the line up, the team, the squad, every player, every blade of grass, every decision, every coach and the floodlights from before the game, during the game and afterwards. Then had the gall to admit he hadn't seen much of Dembele at Fulham so wasn't sure of him.

And TommyTank criticised Friedel for the goal, which was extremely harsh and Friedel made a string of good saves.

I know your "support" on here doesn't directly affect the team on the pitch in real time, but it is very wearing when you just line up to criticise anything and everything from the first minute. We all know Defoe isn't a mix of Tevez and Higuain and will have a lot of shots, but he scores in nearly every game so please cut him a bit of slack.

Dempsey has scored several [disallowed] goals for Spurs already, he is a good player so please cut him some slack also.

If you think thats a fair analysis of what I said during the game then fair enough. When I looked at the two line ups before the game I couldn't see a clear winner and expected an extremely tough game. I haven't seen much of Dembele, and I hope he'll be great but I haven't really been blown away so far; a bit of a silly comment three games into his Spurs career I know but the balance of the midfield looks totally out of whack.

When we do something positive it normally involves a charge up the field, head down, at speed. Its great to have that ability but its vital to be able to retain the ball and knock it round the park. If you cant do that you will never dictate the game and impose yourself on the opposition.

I can see midfield being our achilles heel this season. I don't doubt that individually the players are probably fine, but it very unproven. Sandro has not yet been called on to play week in week and produce and drive us. We'll find out this season how good he really is. I have a feeling that we may struggle to create and possibly to defend/retain the ball.

At the moment Vertonghen looks our most composed midfielder when he steps out of the back four. Anyway, it really is early days and the team needs time. As i've said before its a hammer blow losing talents like VdV and Modric. It just seems like the artistry has been ripped and and replaced with running. I hope in the coming months we can find a more appropriate balance in there.

If you think thats a fair analysis of what I said during the game then fair enough. When I looked at the two line ups before the game I couldn't see a clear winner and expected an extremely tough game. I haven't seen much of Dembele, and I hope he'll be great but I haven't really been blown away so far; a bit of a silly comment three games into his Spurs career I know but the balance of the midfield looks totally out of whack.

When we do something positive it normally involves a charge up the field, head down, at speed. Its great to have that ability but its vital to be able to retain the ball and knock it round the park. If you cant do that you will never dictate the game and impose yourself on the opposition.

I can see midfield being our achilles heel this season. I don't doubt that individually the players are probably fine, but it very unproven. Sandro has not yet been called on to play week in week and produce and drive us. We'll find out this season how good he really is. I have a feeling that we may struggle to create and possibly to defend/retain the ball.

At the moment Vertonghen looks our most composed midfielder when he steps out of the back four. Anyway, it really is early days and the team needs time. As i've said before its a hammer blow losing talents like VdV and Modric. It just seems like the artistry has been ripped and and replaced with running. I hope in the coming months we can find a more appropriate balance in there.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the team at present. Can't wait for Hudd to get fit. I am not a big Defoe fan and Gale was questioning if Ade is really hamstrung or not. That is a bit worrying.

Not losing while we are not playing at the top of our game and with our best team still not clear is great. I don't agree about our midfield or in fact any part of our squad. We have loads of permutations available in goal, defence and attack. Finding the right one is the key.

I have no idea who the commentators were on the Foxtel-Australia channel, but feck me - I wanted to stab their "comments" guy in the throat with a fork!!! Completely one-eyed (to my biased ear) toward QPR. Tony someone? Absolute git.

I have no idea who the commentators were on the Foxtel-Australia channel, but feck me - I wanted to stab their "comments" guy in the throat with a fork!!! Completely one-eyed (to my biased ear) toward QPR. Tony someone? Absolute git.

Tony Gale he totally hates us with a passion

Tony Gale he totally hates us with a passion

yep this is so true. He doesn't even disguise it. Every game follows a pattern with him usually starting to talk about how the crowd are restless after just 10 minutes. Then he goes on and on about it, about how the crowd are letting the players know this isnt good enough etc... he loves it too.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the team at present. Can't wait for Hudd to get fit. I am not a big Defoe fan and Gale was questioning if Ade is really hamstrung or not. That is a bit worrying.

Not losing while we are not playing at the top of our game and with our best team still not clear is great. I don't agree about our midfield or in fact any part of our squad. We have loads of permutations available in goal, defence and attack. Finding the right one is the key.

Fit or not, Hudd won't feature much IMHO. Him, Dawson and probably Parker don't have much longer at the club.

Back