• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham v Everton ***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I said this in the next manager thread, there is no comparison to where Poch was when we appointed him to where Potter is now. Poch had Southampton flying, highest finish in their PL history iirc (or highest points). He beat big clubs along the way and also increased the value of players such as Shaw Lovren, Lalana and Lambert. Potter hasn’t achieved anything of note with Brighton as far as I can see. Mourinho hasn’t worked out doesn’t mean another top manager is doomed to failure.

Potter has a trophy to his name and took some big scalps away from home in the EL when he was manager of a small fry Swedish team - i think the argument regarding Brighton being hamstrung by their strikers is a strong one, if you value stats they show they create a lot of chances, a lot more than we do, but just don't convert them

He has achieved more in his managerial career than Poch had. Brighton aren't his only club.
Brighton play great football, should be much higher in the league and he has improved just about every player at the club compared to last season.
They are 15th in the League, 7 points off safety after 31 games played. Isn’t going to happen.

He took a 4th tier club to the EL didn't he and won the national cup?

Yeah, but Swedish football isn't great, I've been to a few IFK games, it's League 2 quality even at the top level.

Not a knock against him, he could only beat what was in front of him. But at Espanyol Poch took on proper teams with top level players pretty much every week.

He took a 4th tier club to the EL didn't he and won the national cup?
I must admit I don’t know much about Swedish football, but it is almost impossible to extrapolate what he did in that league to what he can achieve in the PL. Brighton are not pulling up trees. They are lower than Southampton who have been on an awful run.

You rate avoiding relegation with an established La Liga team a harder job than taking a small team in Swedens 4th division into the Europa league and winning a cup???

Yes, because there is very little between the 1st and 4th divisions in Sweden imo.

I must admit I don’t know much about Swedish football, but it is almost impossible to extrapolate what he did in that league to what he can achieve in the PL. Brighton are not pulling up trees. They are lower than Southampton who have been on an awful run.
Put a bit of context into it when comparing Brighton and Southampton e.g. Southampton have Ings that is being linked to City and other top clubs, Brighton have championship level forwards

They are 15th in the League, 7 points off safety after 31 games played. Isn’t going to happen.

Whether it should be the deciding factor or not, I could see this as counting against him massively. Its just harder to appoint someone who is managing the team in 15th

I'm not necessarily sure who that would take you to given that after Nagelmann and Rodgers, the candidates all have something against them

I'd go Nagelsmann, then Rodgers then Potter...but I'm not convinced Levy will go for Potter

Yeah, but Swedish football isn't great, I've been to a few IFK games, it's League 2 quality even at the top level.

Not a knock against him, he could only beat what was in front of him. But at Espanyol Poch took on proper teams with top level players pretty much every week.

It's all relative though isn't it. They got results away to Arsenal and Galatasary and Brighton have pulled off a couple of big results too and put in many more good performances against big teams, so that shows he knows how to approach big games

It's all relative though isn't it. They got results away to Arsenal and Galatasary and Brighton have pulled off a couple of big results too and put in many more good performances against big teams, so that shows he knows how to approach big games

Like I said, you can only beat the rubbish that's in front of you.

My point was more relative to Poch and how hard the Espanyol job was.

Put a bit of context into it when comparing Brighton and Southampton e.g. Southampton have Ings that is being linked to City and other top clubs, Brighton have championship level forwards
He has Danny Welbeck and Neal Maupay, the latter tears us a new one every time we play them.

We were sat top of the league at one point this season - sometimes you need to look beyond the league table

Whether it should be the deciding factor or not, I could see this as counting against him massively. Its just harder to appoint someone who is managing the team in 15th

I'm not necessarily sure who that would take you to given that after Nagelmann and Rodgers, the candidates all have something against them

I'd go Nagelsmann, then Rodgers then Potter...but I'm not convinced Levy will go for Potter
I don’t have a clue mate. I hate Rodgers and don’t think Potter is the right man for the job. I don’t know enough about Naglesmann although it sounds like that ship has sailed. I wanted Tuchel before the west london scum hoovered him up.

We were sat top of the league at one point this season - sometimes you need to look beyond the league table
The next managerial appointment is crucial. You have to take account of previous performance in the PL. Brighton just haven’t been good enough for me.

The next managerial appointment is crucial. You have to take account of previous performance in the PL. Brighton just haven’t been good enough for me.

You don't have to value a league position higher than all the other aspects of management though.

You are right it is crucial, that's why I'm more interested in team building/team play/tactics and being able to implement all that on a set of players over how successfull a manager has been wrt results.

Focussing on Brightons league position is kinda like focusing on Mourinhos trophy haul...

Back