• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton ***

Wing stat. The xG was Spurs 3.9 - 0.7 Southampton.

The 6-8 stat is most likely wrong as well. I'm guessing lifted from the Norwegian live score site Vglive.no, which never ever show the actual stats from the game, for whatever reason. I've seen us win the shot stat in every other stat chart I've seen today.

Made it to Wembley today for my first game in a couple of years. Living in Melbourne, I miss watching us live so much, television coverage is great but not at 5am. Anyway these are my observations;

Witnessing Kane take that 22 year old record off Shearer and overtake Messi for the most goals in 2017 (56), was simply class. He is so lethal he could even be disappointed with himself for not getting more than three. If he scores a hatrick against WestHam it will be a hatrick of hatricks. Insane form.

We need to move the ball around a bit quicker. You could tell when Poch was annoyed because the team responded to his touch line angst and upped the tempo. Credit to Sanchez, Verts, Rose, Dier they were all excellent in moving the ball and defending some dangerous moments.

Son's pace is such a weapon for us especially when Eriksen and Alli are struggling to make an impact. With Rose improving with each week and his understanding with Alli and Son the left side is strong.

Wembley is hard work. It's so hard to get songs going and to be fair to Southampton they out sung our fans. Only about 9 home league games left though hopefully.

Despite a tipsy turvey start to the season we ended the year well, back in top four contention, just need to wipe the floor with west ham and get Wanyama and Toby back as soon as possible. Lamela looks raring to go, just isn't clicking for him with late cameos.

We can achieve top four if we strengthen in January which with the Wembley factor is no mean feat. COYS!

Possible but I think that it is more likely that he continues to play players in the positions he normally does and Lamela, Eriksen, Alli and Son compete for the places behind Kane and the base of midfield is two of Wanyama, Dier, Winks, Dembele and Sissoko.

Fair enough, but Eriksen, Dele, Lamela, Son, N'Koudou...that's a lot of options for just two spots. Good to have, but shouldn't we try to have as many of them on the field as possible? With Wanyama and Toby back, I mean - with those two back in, our defense will likely improve tremendously, so perhaps it wouldn't be that much of a risk.

Made it to Wembley today for my first game in a couple of years. Living in Melbourne, I miss watching us live so much, television coverage is great but not at 5am. Anyway these are my observations;

Witnessing Kane take that 22 year old record off Shearer and overtake Messi for the most goals in 2017 (56), was simply class. He is so lethal he could even be disappointed with himself for not getting more than three. If he scores a hatrick against WestHam it will be a hatrick of hatricks. Insane form.

We need to move the ball around a bit quicker. You could tell when Poch was annoyed because the team responded to his touch line angst and upped the tempo. Credit to Sanchez, Verts, Rose, Dier they were all excellent in moving the ball and defending some dangerous moments.

Son's pace is such a weapon for us especially when Eriksen and Alli are struggling to make an impact. With Rose improving with each week and his understanding with Alli and Son the left side is strong.

Wembley is hard work. It's so hard to get songs going and to be fair to Southampton they out sung our fans. Only about 9 home league games left though hopefully.

Despite a tipsy turvey start to the season we ended the year well, back in top four contention, just need to wipe the floor with west ham and get Wanyama and Toby back as soon as possible. Lamela looks raring to go, just isn't clicking for him with late cameos.

We can achieve top four if we strengthen in January which with the Wembley factor is no mean feat. COYS!

Nice.

I think the strengthening we'll do in January will be the return of Toby and Wanyama, with Rose and Lamela getting to full fitness.

fudge me, the atmosphere today was flat!

Oh, well, only 9 or so games left there.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by all the empty seats. I thought boxing day was THE day to attend games in England? No train service service to Wembley station would have an effect, but still a bit puzzled by the "low" attendance. 55412 must be one of the lowest we've had in the league this season.

Dier was excellent again as our DM, not sure Wanyama gets back in right now.

Alli was very good again, on a very good form trajectory, and like Son deserves his place.

If Alderweireld was back today I think it would be between Son and Sanchez to make room.

I think Wanyama is on another level to Dier personally. Granted we have no idea how long it will take him to get up to speed when he returns but his overall game is better than Dier. One area in particular is his range of passing. This is an area where I don't think Dier excels at at all, that's being polite. I also think he tries to overplay at times, he should know his limitations. We've missed Wanyama massively IMO.

I also think Sanchez is playing too well right now to be dropped. He's adapted to the PL remarakably well. He looks so confident and assured for a 21 year old CB.

Why does Lloris develop this fetish for flapping at the ball? He has the capacity to come of his line, dominate his area and take the ball cleanly, but every now and again he starts punching the damn thing and this is when he makes the big fudge ups. Catch the fudging thing!

Regularly???

I tjink there’s some exageneration going on here

The mistakes he has made since playing for us that have counted for anything may just be double figures now

The amount of saves he makes and the way he leads the line better than any keeper in the league are more than enough for credit in the bank

I'm actually surprised he made the kind of mistakes he made in today of all games. He tends to fudge up in the big games if anything. Seem to recall he gifted Emirates Marketing Project two soft goals last season after massive howlers. He's also dropped a few clangers against Chelsea and Scum. His near post is a bit of a weakness at times which should be bread and butter for top goalies.

He also often punches the ball from set pieces when he can quite easily catch the ball.

He makes too many mistakes for me to be considered a "top keeper" although I accept we would struggle to find someone better who we could realistically afford. I don't think he makes that many mistakes that it's a problem as all keepers make mistakes.

------------------------------------Lloris---------------------------------

--------------------Toby---------Sanchez-----------Verts--------------

Aurier---------------Wanyama-------------Eriksen---------------Rose

---------------------------Alli---------------Son--------------------------

------------------------------------Kane-----------------------------------

There. The way I see it, with the return to fitness of Lamela, Poch is now in a position where it will be very difficult to leave *both* Son and Lamela out at any given time. Thus, the team above could work as a solution. With Winks there to replace Son (with Eriksen moving back into attacking midfield) when necessary. This would also allow us to use Dembele even more sparingly - which, to be honest, is something that he looks like he could do with.

I think Lamela has fallen down the pecking order due to his injury and the levels Eriksen, Alli and Son have reached since said injury. Son in particular massively improved last season compared to his first season with us.

I'm actually surprised he made the kind of mistakes he made in today of all games. He tends to fudge up in the big games if anything. Seem to recall he gifted Emirates Marketing Project two soft goals last season after massive howlers. He's also dropped a few clangers against Chelsea and Scum. His near post is a bit of a weakness at times which should be bread and butter for top goalies.

He also often punches the ball from set pieces when he can quite easily catch the ball.

He makes too many mistakes for me to be considered a "top keeper" although I accept we would struggle to find someone better who we could realistically afford. I don't think he makes that many mistakes that it's a problem as all keepers make mistakes.

Just to compare with De Gea who some people think is the very best De Gea never leaves his line and it hurts 7njted a lot more than people realise... a great shot stopper but actually a weak defensive commander IMO. Difference is he very gets the blame as he plays very low risk Football and makes all the basics saves and the worldies too

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by all the empty seats. I thought boxing day was THE day to attend games in England? No train service service to Wembley station would have an effect, but still a bit puzzled by the "low" attendance. 55412 must be one of the lowest we've had in the league this season.

No train service pretty much anywhere in England and an early kick off

Was indeed a strange atmosphere at Wembley today. Nice sunny afternoon when we arrived and place was full of day trippers (lots of Koreans sat in my block) but there was enough free flowing football plus Kane's record breaking explores to keep everyone's spirits up for the first hour; despite the lack of any proper singing.

However the rather sloppy end to the game (remember some booing when a free kick went backwards as Eriksen opted to run down clock rather than try to get us a 6th) combined with the cold wet weather arriving in Wembley made for a rather muted journey home.

A few beers whilst watching a recording of Match of the Day is making the day feel memorable again though!

20171226_152614.jpg

Was indeed a strange atmosphere at Wembley today. Nice sunny afternoon when we arrived and place was full of day trippers (lots of Koreans sat in my block) but there was enough free flowing football plus Kane's record breaking explores to keep everyone's spirits up for the first hour; despite the lack of any proper singing.

However the rather sloppy end to the game (remember some booing when a free kick went backwards as Eriksen opted to run down clock rather than try to get us a 6th) combined with the cold wet weather arriving in Wembley made for a rather muted journey home.

A few beers whilst watching a recording of Match of the Day is making the day feel memorable again though!

View attachment 3895

Did the Koreans go crazy for Son's goal? The Korean commentators covering the games on Korean broadcasts always do. :)

That's fair, but I would point out that it isn't just today - we've looked too open for a lot of this season without Toby.

I will debate forever that yes, Toby is a big loss but Wanyama has been the biggest. Today it was Dier who took the license to roam forwards and looked great doing it, with Moose back on the cover. As we saw against City, that is not the best scenario. I think when Wanyama is fit, with Dier beside him, we will be miserly again in defence. Toby will obviously be a massive plus, but the way we play Wanyama is vital and Dier so much better going forwards from deeper.
Unrelated, I wonder if Poch has made his right-back/wing-back decision? He tends to settle on a preferred in the second half of seasons and I wonder if Aurier is his man? Have to also say I thought today was Rose getting near to full-speed again; the pass to Kane second-half was excellent!

Good times!!!!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I genuinely believe we can finish third, maybe even second? Utd are not solid, not are Chelski and Liverpool cannot defend. We are hitting stride...

Did the Koreans go crazy for Son's goal? The Korean commentators covering the games on Korean broadcasts always do. :)
They appeared rather more excited by Son’s goal than Kane’s hat trick but I wasn’t sat quite close enough to hear if they were shouting his name as ebulliently as those crazy commentators do :D

Regularly???

I tjink there’s some exageneration going on here

The mistakes he has made since playing for us that have counted for anything may just be double figures now

The amount of saves he makes and the way he leads the line better than any keeper in the league are more than enough for credit in the bank

Yeah, like I said he always makes one a game! Whether it’s a crap punch, or dodgy kick out, or done at the near post! Not exagenerating at all, it’s how I’ve felt for some time.

I will debate forever that yes, Toby is a big loss but Wanyama has been the biggest. Today it was Dier who took the license to roam forwards and looked great doing it, with Moose back on the cover. As we saw against City, that is not the best scenario. I think when Wanyama is fit, with Dier beside him, we will be miserly again in defence. Toby will obviously be a massive plus, but the way we play Wanyama is vital and Dier so much better going forwards from deeper.
Unrelated, I wonder if Poch has made his right-back/wing-back decision? He tends to settle on a preferred in the second half of seasons and I wonder if Aurier is his man? Have to also say I thought today was Rose getting near to full-speed again; the pass to Kane second-half was excellent!

Good times!!!!

Wanyama *and* Dier in midfield? I don't like how open we are, but that's going too far in the other direction, surely. :p

Sanchez was solid enough on his own today - the defense as a whole was shaky because of the lack of Toby's organizational skills, but I think that Sanchez settling in and getting used to asking Verts and Lloris to step up/cover for him will make us more solid *in the long run*. Not as solid as with Toby, but solid enough that a dedicated DM ahead of them *should*, luck permitting, cut down on our present openness. However, best case scenario is still just to have Wanyama and Toby back and for us not to have to choose. ;)

And I agree, I was surprised to see Aurier again so soon after the Burnley game. I hope Poch has settled on him as our first-choice going forward - I stand by my assertion that he's simply a lot better at dealing with pacy wingers and trickery on the flanks than Trippier is, and it isn't even close. As for Rose, he wasn't great in the first half, imo, but he took it up several notches in the second half, and ended up running the left flank on his own at times.

Just to compare with De Gea who some people think is the very best De Gea never leaves his line and it hurts 7njted a lot more than people realise... a great shot stopper but actually a weak defensive commander IMO. Difference is he very gets the blame as he plays very low risk Football and makes all the basics saves and the worldies too

This is absolutely spot on. De Gea gets a lot of plaudits for being a truly excellent shot-stopper, but he actually isn't an all-round excellent goalkeeper outside of that - his distribution isn't great, he's slow to come out when balls are played in behind United's defense and he hesitates a *lot* when balls are played into the area. He never seems certain when to come for it or when to stay on his line, and he ends up doing the latter a lot more than the former - which often turns out to be the wrong decision, imo.

His highlights are his truly magnificent reflexes and his ability to get across his goal quickly to save what look like near-certain goals (which is helped by his size - he's taller than Lloris, and I suspect he has longer arms to boot). But he's not a complete goalkeeper like, say, Ederson or Neuer, and I don't think his unparalleled shot-stopping ability is really worth all that much more than Lloris' all-round *braver* decision-making, speed off his line and willingness to come out and command his area.

Lloris has flaws, no one ever denied that. His distribution is pretty bad, and he definitely has a mistake in him every now and then. But in terms of the former, that was par for the course for *all* goalies until very recently - goalies being part of the build-up play is a very new phenomenon, and you can't blame Lloris for being from a previous generation in that regard. And with regard to the latter, *every* goalkeeper has a mistake in him - there has never been, nor will there ever be, a perfect keeper, and we only think Lloris is more error-prone than some others because we don't *watch* those others on a regular basis.

Lloris is an excellent shot-stopper - not De Gea level, but plenty close enough for our needs. He is also very skilled at sweeping up to deal with balls in behind our defense, good at reading crosses into the box and coming out to claim/punch them whenever he can, a good leader of men and acceptable at organizing the back-line. He's not good with the ball at his feet...but ultimately, the complete package adds up to a fine goalkeeper, and probably the best one we've had for a few decades at least. Mistakes *included*.

Last edited:
Back