• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs KAA Gent - 2nd Leg***

I don't see why dropping one of them would be so difficult. But I realize that Winks is both young and inexperienced.

Controlling the game, sure. I guess I rate passing tempo higher than most posters on here and that partly explains the difference on views. That to me is quite different to controlling the game.

I think in this game, playing with 10 men, i think Dembele and his retention abilities were possibly more key

I think that we made them look poor tonight but shot ourselves in the foot with sloppy defending, wasting chances up front and the sending off. A brick ref certainly didn't help either. Oh well, at least we won't have to put up with our weekend games being fudged up.

That is one thing I really hate about the Europa League because the league games are every Sunday so as you said at least that nonsense is out of the way. I also don't think Champions League rejects so get a second chance either but when they do you'd think they would take it.

This will really brighten your mood. Article about some guy from Opta debunking the myths that goals don't come from crosses.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/feb/12/football-crossing-premier-league
Did you read the article? I wish I hadn't bothered. The author chatted a lot of irrelevant brick to get around to a really poorly argued point.

When looked at under his method (with no similar adjustments for alternative methods) he gets crosses from a 1 in 90 method to a 1 in 45 one. That's still a really low value way to attack.

Who specifically don't you want Poch to start against Stoke? I only ask because last time we played Stoke we played Dier and Wanyama in midfield and won 0:4
I'm not too bothered about individual players at this point. But I want us to start with more creativity and passing tempo in our central midfield. However that is done is less important to me.

Had we gotten the first goal away to Gent or the 2-0 today I think we might have seen something similar to when we beat a completely out of form Stoke 4-0. But different selections do well in different situations. If we could somehow know that we get the first goal I would trust the current central midfield duo to do very well in most games.

I don't see why dropping one of them would be so difficult. But I realize that Winks is both young and inexperienced.

Controlling the game, sure. I guess I rate passing tempo higher than most posters on here and that partly explains the difference on views. That to me is quite different to controlling the game.

I agree with you, in one respect Dembele looks like our best player by miles - he strides around smashing up other players, fending them off, gliding about like a Rolls Royce with a broken steering rack, left then right (no not really, left every time and you fall for it every time)... but is he actually helping us?

Contentious I know, but is his gliding about really what we need? What we need is for an attacking player to get the ball as soon as possible. There is a myth that Dembele draws players towards him and then we exploit the space. The truth is that he beats a man, then lays if off, but by then there is plenty of cover.

In terms of dropping someone, I would drop Dier. He was at fault for the first goal (weak attempted header) and the second goal (trying to play offside, then chesting it to the attacker, then allowing him to score past him).

Dier has been in poor form for a long time now, we should drop him and play Winks. Whatever the formation, if that means a back 4 or Wanyama staying back, that is Poch's job.

I think in this game, playing with 10 men, i think Dembele and his retention abilities were possibly more key

It's why I would have preferred wanyama to go off and winks on for him with Jansenn for Davies

We could have brought son on later and kept the ball better possibly.... but we may still have got knocked out

Were we even leading by then? Oh and what was the result last week?
If when he went off we were 2-3 goals up in the game/tie then maybe that can be said...but were NOT.

The sending off was a key moment agreed, but so were our c0ck-ups at the back and in front of goal
I'm not too sure I understand your point.

Of course you can't say for certain we would have won with Alli on the pitch but I think it is reasonable to assume it was very likely. Yes there were other important moments in the game but the sending off changed everything.

We created more than enough chances to have won that, even down to 10 men. We had them right on the ropes for much of the second half, but, through a combination of lack of composure and lack of patience, when the right ball was more important than the early ball, and with some cack finishing and some even cacker defending on top, we've contrived to do another massive fart. Home games all at Wembley next season, eh? Good luck with that, Mauricio.

It was all about us tonight. We defeated ourselves really. Gent defended that is all. We scored for them, reduced our players for them, and missed chances for them to come away with a dogged but fortunate result.

THIS; THIS; THIS

Sadly, i think we have peaked with our 'krypton factor' methodology now. You can see our forward attacking play has no finesse/methodology and is built of athleticism/strong running which imo has now reached its limit.

Remember our wastefulness today and poor decision-making going forward has been with us for a long time and isn't getting better (actually worse)

I agree with you, in one respect Dembele looks like our best player by miles - he strides around smashing up other players, fending them off, gliding about like a Rolls Royce with a broken steering rack, left then right (no not really, left every time and you fall for it every time)... but is he actually helping us?

Contentious I know, but is his gliding about really what we need? What we need is for an attacking player to get the ball as soon as possible. There is a myth that Dembele draws players towards him and then we exploit the space. The truth is that he beats a man, then lays if off, but by then there is plenty of cover.

In terms of dropping someone, I would drop Dier. He was at fault for the first goal (weak attempted header) and the second goal (trying to play offside, then chesting it to the attacker, then allowing him to score past him).

Dier has been in poor form for a long time now, we should drop him and play Winks. Whatever the formation, if that means a back 4 or Wanyama staying back, that is Poch's job.
I agree about the myth part. But, again, I rate passing tempo more than most.

Dier has never been a particularly good centre back for us. A back 3 with him odds no better than a back 4 without him imo. But our central midfield is key either way imo.

Dejavu of the previous seasons, season falling to bits at the back end of Feb.

Squad burn out/lack of players to rotate why do we not learn lessons?

It's why I would have preferred wanyama to go off and winks on for him with Jansenn for Davies

We could have brought son on later and kept the ball better possibly.... but we may still have got knocked out
Son was good down the left, way better than Davies. Davies just isn't skillful enough to pose any genuine threat out wide. Son did great until he went right sided and central... as usual he should just stay left and jink about over there and either pass, shoot or win a penalty.

I'm not too sure I understand your point.

Of course you can't say for certain we would have won with Alli on the pitch but I think it is reasonable to assume it was very likely. Yes there were other important moments in the game but the sending off changed everything.

My point is that what really killed us was our poor decision-making at the back and up front. The sending-off happened when we were playing no differently to how we played for the majority when we had 10 men. The second off is a distant 3rd reason why we lost the tie imo.
We had 11 men last week after all...

Harry Kane had a very bad day at the office today, and when he is this bad where does it leave us? We have no other striker that Poch actually trusts and our second best goal threat committed harikari in the first half.

I'm not too bothered about individual players at this point. But I want us to start with more creativity and passing tempo in our central midfield. However that is done is less important to me.

Had we gotten the first goal away to Gent or the 2-0 today I think we might have seen something similar to when we beat a completely out of form Stoke 4-0. But different selections do well in different situations. If we could somehow know that we get the first goal I would trust the current central midfield duo to do very well in most games.

Well today I do not think creativity was the issue, rather we had loads of chances that we just wasted

THIS; THIS; THIS

Sadly, i think we have peaked with our 'krypton factor' methodology now. You can see our forward attacking play has no finesse/methodology and is built of athleticism/strong running which imo has now reached its limit.

Remember our wastefulness today and poor decision-making going forward has been with us for a long time and isn't getting better (actually worse)

But we can be positive. The oldest attacker player is how old? Eriksen turned 25 this month. Kane 23, Alli 20, Son 24. Janssen 22. We could do with an older attacking player on our books. Payet or Costa were two players that came to mind in the summer that would have helped.

There is a nativity to the side. Whether Dier's lapses, not being cute when other teams win the refs calls, not taking key chances. We're still pretty decent, and much to build on.

Back