• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Everton ***

Yeah i'm gonna have to give up. The players he took off i can see no problem with.

The players he bought on could be discussed, but we didn't have any decent defensive substitutions on the bench.

So the pattern of us conceeding late goals and costing us points doesn't concern you then? You can't tell me it's just down to injuries.

So the pattern of us conceeding late goals and costing us points doesn't concern you then? You can't tell me it's just down to injuries.

It concerns me yes, but imo the players he took off were justified, and there was very little else AVB could have done.

Defoe - Not getting involved, not had a particularly good game.
Lennon - Absolutely knackered.
Dembele - took a knock.

I seriously can't see anything wrong with taking any of these three off. If anything it's more a sleight at AVB playing everyone in the EL.

Last edited:
Caulker is a professional footballer. Who the keeper is behind him and their style is irrelevant. He has hardly played with either keeper in the grand scheme of things and that sort of training would have been conditioned into him at a very very young age. He just fudged up. It happens.

Agree, it happens and will happen with a young man learning his trade, but if he could play infront of the same keeper week in, week out, we'd get away with these situations. As it is, every single thing is getting punished. I 'suspect' we'd be in agreement that long-term, this boy is going to win us far far more games than points-cost...

Must say, on reflection I'm actually fairly confident we can reach the top 4. Everton aren't that impressive, neither are Arsenal and we are improving as the months go by. Hopefully we can really kick into a good gear as the business end of the season approaches.

I admire your confidence, both of those teams have beaten us, six pointers as well.

Last edited:
Did you see how exhausted Lennon was before he was taken off? The guy could hardly run, as shown by the moment when he didn't track Baines back and he got in a free cross. And by the way, BOTH Everton goals came from the opposite flank.

A half knackered Lennon is far better than Falque, Dembele keeps the ball and attempts to run with it therefore holding possesion where Tom plays the ball early so there is a far bigger chance of giving away possesion and Defoe is always a goal threat, I have since learned that Dembele might have took a knock, we lost our shape and balance, Siggy Falque and Huddlestone were playing the game as if it were the first ten minutes instead of the last and the game got stretched, I stand by my POV that AVB messed up big time, anyway on to the next game.

I admire your confidence, both of those teams have beaten us, six pointers as well.

I've seen nothing in them to suggest we have to be that fearful to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, it will be close, and this will be the tightest top 4 race for years by the looks of it. I can see Liverpool being in with a real shout too. But we have a really good team and I think the problems at Arsenal are a bit more deep rooted - they've had years to get their system right so it's not that they don't know how to play, I think they just don't have the quality this year and they will be lucky if they get it. Everton don't have the depth, I think teams have figured out Jelavic and if others can handle Fellaini like we did then they will be beatable. He's their main threat and a good player but compared to us...

We have Defoe in the hottest form of his career. Not a new, fresh signing to the league that don't know how to play him like Jelavic or Cisse. He's a guy that's been around years, but he is playing so well that other teams can't touch him right now. We have Lennon excelling every week and contributing to the team ethic, and he's always dangerous. We have Gareth Bale, and nothing more needs to be said there. We have Dembele. Sandro. Walker. Vertonghen. Caulker. Lloris. I don't think it's a stretch to say all of those guys can stand up to any team in the league. I think we have the best team out of the chasing back and most importantly we haven't hit our stride yet. In 16 games we've maybe put one solid 90 minute performance in, against West Ham at home. And Reading away. But other than that, it's been very inconsistent. And that's what gives me hope. Once we really hit our stride we should be firing and I think with the players we have, the injuries to return, the transfer window opening soon, we can be confident.

Also, I don't see how AVB can really take too much blame for yesterday. The Lennon sub lead to our best period in the match, and we lost to a defensive error. He couldn't prevent it. Managers can't do everything, and sometimes the players simply have to do their jobs.

It concerns me yes, but imo the players he took off were justified, and there was very little else AVB could have done.

Defoe - Not getting involved, not had a particularly good game.
Lennon - Absolutely knackered.
Dembele - took a knock.

I seriously can't see anything wrong with taking any of these three off. If anything it's more a sleight at AVB playing everyone in the EL.

If anything, Defoe should have been taken off a lot sooner for someone to play on the left.

I've seen nothing in them to suggest we have to be that fearful to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, it will be close, and this will be the tightest top 4 race for years by the looks of it. I can see Liverpool being in with a real shout too. But we have a really good team and I think the problems at Arsenal are a bit more deep rooted - they've had years to get their system right so it's not that they don't know how to play, I think they just don't have the quality this year and they will be lucky if they get it. Everton don't have the depth, I think teams have figured out Jelavic and if others can handle Fellaini like we did then they will be beatable. He's their main threat and a good player but compared to us...

We have Defoe in the hottest form of his career. Not a new, fresh signing to the league that don't know how to play him like Jelavic or Cisse. He's a guy that's been around years, but he is playing so well that other teams can't touch him right now. We have Lennon excelling every week and contributing to the team ethic, and he's always dangerous. We have Gareth Bale, and nothing more needs to be said there. We have Dembele. Sandro. Walker. Vertonghen. Caulker. Lloris. I don't think it's a stretch to say all of those guys can stand up to any team in the league. I think we have the best team out of the chasing back and most importantly we haven't hit our stride yet. In 16 games we've maybe put one solid 90 minute performance in, against West Ham at home. And Reading away. But other than that, it's been very inconsistent. And that's what gives me hope. Once we really hit our stride we should be firing and I think with the players we have, the injuries to return, the transfer window opening soon, we can be confident.

Also, I don't see how AVB can really take too much blame for yesterday. The Lennon sub lead to our best period in the match, and we lost to a defensive error. He couldn't prevent it. Managers can't do everything, and sometimes the players simply have to do their jobs.

Onwards and upwards.

Did anyone see Nevilles summing up of our problems before the game just now?

Made pretty good sense. 1-0 up, but instead of the high line we play all match, we allowed ourselves to be pushed back deep into our box towards the end, as we bought on more defensive type players, and it was almost as if we expected to be pressured.

However, I'm sure, had we done as he suggested, and tried to keep the high line all 90 mins (or 94) and Everton had managed to get a ball over the top and break through to score, he'd have been chewing us up over this too.

Damned if you do etc...

You know what mate? I'd suggest you save your energy, because there's thousands upon thousands of 'blind optimists' following Tottenham Hotspur right now.

I wonder what Swansea would've done with 10 men for 70 minute? they scored twice in the last 5!!!!! Did you actually watch the game BTW, or are you reacting to the hype? They were OK but the goons were poor. As they were against us when it was 11 v 11. All this 'injured player and losing Modric is weak'...here's the list.

Modric - sold
Bale - injured
Ekotto - injured
King -retired
Kaboul - injured
Parker - injured
Van der Vaart - sold

Today, that was SEVEN PLAYERS who were in our FIRST ELEVEN LAST SEASON and did NOT play today. You can waffle on all you like about Swansea, but IMO, that is weak. And impatient.

I really wish you could stand back, stand tall and figure out what's going on. It takes a bit of patience, a bit of support and a lot of courage. But if you take the time, you'll see that far from being 'blind' there's many thousands who can see a hell of a lot further than simply next week!

Be brave FFS!!!!!

Steff I could n't disagree more with everything you've said. I have to say that so far I have not seen a single thing on the football pitch to make me positive about AVB. What is everyoneseeing that I don't We lack fluidity, our players seem unable to do basic 5 yard passes, we are conceding so many late goals even in games we go on to win. We are winning games because of moments of brilliance from individual players ( sandro, bale, defoe and lloris) rather than an effective system of play. He said in the Summer that he wanted rid of Dawson and Hudd only to realise as the season progresses we may actually need them. I cannot recall in my time a spurs Manager who has been so underwhelming at the start of his spurs career. The only positive for me is that off the pitch I quite like the guy. I like the way he defends his players ( adebayor after his sending off) I like the way he takes the cups seriously, nor comes across as arrogant as HR. Unfortunately in the end this is irrelevant as it's a results business as the old cliche goes.

Last season we criticised HR for not grasping the mettle and ensuring 3rd place when the SKY 4 were at their weakest for some time. Well guess what we are doing exactly the same this season except we won't be cementing even 4th. I am really surprised how many Spurs fans are saying not finishing top 4 is an acceptable sacrifice for the AVB revolution. I hope I am wrong about AVB, if I am I will come on here and apologise.

Did anyone see Nevilles summing up of our problems before the game just now?

Made pretty good sense. 1-0 up, but instead of the high line we play all match, we allowed ourselves to be pushed back deep into our box towards the end, as we bought on more defensive type players, and it was almost as if we expected to be pressured.

However, I'm sure, had we done as he suggested, and tried to keep the high line all 90 mins (or 94) and Everton had managed to get a ball over the top and break through to score, he'd have been chewing us up over this too.

Damned if you do etc...

But the 3 subs we brought on were the most attacking options we had available(bar Townsend), so it's either that or you just leave them all out there, knackered/injured and all.

A real test today. Everton unbeaten in 7 at home this season and have only lost 1 in their last 18 at home.
During that run they beat City, Chelsea and United.
They have only lost 2 overall of their last 24 games, both this season at WBA and Reading.
A win would be a real feather in our cap.

It is natural to be upset and looking to blame everybody but the local milkman when you lose like we did. As anyone who has ever gambled will tell you-when you are hot you are hot and when you are not you are not.
Everton right now are HOT!HOT!HOT!
I said about another game where they won that a few inches out for a couple of their passes ending in goals mean they don't win. Their 2nd goal was another example of that scenario.

But the 3 subs we brought on were the most attacking options we had available(bar Townsend), so it's either that or you just leave them all out there, knackered/injured and all.

The problem with his substitutions was that the shape he left us with was all over the place. Lennon off and Hudd on, first meant Dembele going over to the right. But the problem was coming down our left where Verts was dreadfully exposed all game.

Then Sig came on. Where was he playing? Where was Dempsey at that stage? Who was playing on the left? Neither were covering our main weakness. Both goals came from right field crosses. These should have been snuffed out at source.

Then AVB spent about 2 minutes lecturing Falque on what he wanted him to do - with about 3 minutes left in the game!!!! What takes such a long detailed instruction FFS?
Was his job to attack or defend? was it on the left? was it to stop Coleman? Whatever it was it was certainly not effective.

With Verts at LB we have been susceptible to that for a few games, bar Arsenal and Everton thankfully nobody has taken advantage. Bae should be fit in a game or two, which should help that short term. However a backup LB is required. Verts is decent going forward, but his positioning is often lacking as a LB.

Whilst Bale's defensive contribution isn't brilliant, at least he tends to pin the RB back into his defensive job. Dempsey doesn't manage that, so if he is going to come inside from the left he needs to get back and help out more defensively.

Steff I could n't disagree more with everything you've said. I have to say that so far I have not seen a single thing on the football pitch to make me positive about AVB. What is everyoneseeing that I don't We lack fluidity, our players seem unable to do basic 5 yard passes, we are conceding so many late goals even in games we go on to win. We are winning games because of moments of brilliance from individual players ( sandro, bale, defoe and lloris) rather than an effective system of play. He said in the Summer that he wanted rid of Dawson and Hudd only to realise as the season progresses we may actually need them. I cannot recall in my time a spurs Manager who has been so underwhelming at the start of his spurs career. The only positive for me is that off the pitch I quite like the guy. I like the way he defends his players ( adebayor after his sending off) I like the way he takes the cups seriously, nor comes across as arrogant as HR. Unfortunately in the end this is irrelevant as it's a results business as the old cliche goes.

Last season we criticised HR for not grasping the mettle and ensuring 3rd place when the SKY 4 were at their weakest for some time. Well guess what we are doing exactly the same this season except we won't be cementing even 4th. I am really surprised how many Spurs fans are saying not finishing top 4 is an acceptable sacrifice for the AVB revolution. I hope I am wrong about AVB, if I am I will come on here and apologise.

No worries mate, best leave it at this...opinions are what makes football what it is...yes, I hope you're wrong too but only because we will all win as Spurs supporters. COYS!

I must comment on the Redknapp thing though...he was 3 years in with the squad.

Looking back, losing to Everton away is not that bad actually. Both Everton and us have beaten ManU and Everton have only lost twice so far this season : away to WBA and Reading. And Everton and Stoke are the only teams to be still unbeaten at home so far. To their credit, Everton have played ManU, ManCity, Liverpool and Arsenal but didn't lose to any of them. So, they know how to lift their game against big teams.

Must say, on reflection I'm actually fairly confident we can reach the top 4. Everton aren't that impressive, neither are Arsenal and we are improving as the months go by. Hopefully we can really kick into a good gear as the business end of the season approaches.

hmm...I think it will eventually go down to which team shows the most character. This is the part that we are lacking at the moment.

Back