• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT- Tottenham Hotspur vs Emirates Marketing Project*****

DHSF - can you please clarify what it is you think it is with our formation that doesn't suit the players?

to be quite honest i think this talk of formations not suiting the players and everything is just an empty criticism that holds no actual weight. just an easy one to throw out there, same with the not learning from his mistakes at Chelsea

last season :

Bale and Lennon on the wings
Parker and Modric in the middle
VdV behind the striker
Adebayor up top

this season :

Bale and Lennon on the wings
Sandro and Dembele (now Huddelstone) in the middle
Dempsey behind the striker
Defoe up top (Adebayor most likely when fully fit)

Last edited:
As with others its the subs that baffle me. I can accept Defoe for Adebayor, one type of CF for another type in a lone striker formation. Nothing dramatic but fresh legs and something different in attack.

But why Dawson for Walker when Naughton is on the bench? Then we could have used the third substitute more usefully. Sigurdsson for Dempsey would give fresh legs in the same formation, or Carroll could have helped the deeper midfield. This is without getting more adventurous (e.g. Carroll for a tiring Huddlestone and Defoe for Dempsey).

The subs we made disrupted the shape, without making it more likely for us to get a goal.

what is so different from our starting formation last season in your view mate ?

Lennon and Bale on the wings, Sandro and Huddelstone (or Dembele) with an AM (Dempsey or Sig) in front and a striker (Defoe/Adebayor) in front of him - what particularly do you think these players are having trouble with adapting to this radical change ?

Bale and Lennon seem to have way more space than in a 4231 - thats fairly evident. Bale stuck on the left today as you had suggested earlier this week and he was non existent. Lennon was a lost puppy today.

We dont have an in the hole forward - dempsey is and never was good enough and it is playing with ten men. That could be it - ten men in all seriousness - starting off with ten men is never gonna work. So put Ade and Defoe. Ade would bring Bale and Lennon into the game running from a deeper position giving their full backs much more of a problem. There was no one further up then Ade yet Ade was dropping deep - so where was our attacker to make their defence think?

Also its the application of tactics - we just bent over and took it up the bum in the second half and it isnt the first time even when we had Dembele (Manure). Its a common recurrence.

So in summary, starting with ten men, formation doesnt suit nor bring the best out of the players and the application of tactics has been to sit back and take it up the arse (happened too many times)

I know I will get a load of "joke club" replies to this, but whatever. I find it hard to believe that you played worse than that this season. The second half was pure dominance; that was the first time our 3 at the back formation worked. For the majority of the second half we played with one centre back and 4 full backs yet you barely troubled our area. Maicon did much better than any of us could have expected, he changed the match for us. I was far more impressed with Spurs in the 3-2 last season, you could probably give better reasons for this than I.

As annoying as he was, Adebayor didn't deserve to be on the losing side today. He was the best striker on the pitch. Sandro was immense too. Huge compliments to your fans too, very loud. Always said that they're among the loudest in the Prem.

Lennon and Bale didn't really turn up. If they don't it makes it difficult going forwards.

Your players seemed to get very frustrated in the first half. Lots of niggly little fouls that seemed to work in our favour. Just your attacking talents eventually got the better of our defence.

Does anyone think we can still finish fourth?

I haven't felt there was a chance of this ever since the summer window closed and we were left with such an obviously incomplete squad, not to speak of the injuries we've had since. What's more, by the time January rolls around, I think we'll have lost more ground, which could make it even harder to strengthen again.

I'll be happy with top 6 tbh unless we recruit in January. We can still get 4th mainly because our competition are not that much better than us so it's possible but if we still persist with some of these weirdo team selections and tactics then it will be very tough.

I don't think Arsenal will get top 4 this season. Actually i think Everton will be the team that finishes 4th which would be very ironic as i wanted Moyes all along and was told he's overrated, they play boring bland football, and they're not going to make top 8. They've bricked on everything we've produced footballing wise so far this season.

I'll be happy with top 6 tbh unless we recruit in January. We can still get 4th mainly because our competition are not that much better than us so it's possible but if we still persist with some of these weirdo team selections and tactics then it will be very tough.

I don't think Arsenal will get top 4 this season. Actually i think Everton will be the team that finishes 4th which would be very ironic as i wanted Moyes all along and was told he's overrated, they play boring bland football, and they're not going to make top 8. They've bricked on everything we've produced footballing wise so far this season.

I agree with this, but it depends a lot of them keeping hold of Fellani in the jan window.

what is so different from our starting formation last season in your view mate ?

Lennon and Bale on the wings, Sandro and Huddelstone (or Dembele) with an AM (Dempsey or Sig) in front and a striker (Defoe/Adebayor) in front of him - what particularly do you think these players are having trouble with adapting to this radical change ?

When you are playing away from home against a top side, and your best threat is going to come through Bale and Lennon, you do not play a high line. Formation and subs aren't the big deal today. I'm no fan of big tactical reasoning, but trying to play a high line and thus squeezing the play, when your biggest asset is the pace of you wide players on the counter attack, is plain stupid. I don't see why some of our fans believe in master tacticians and so on, when a guy who has won league and European titles can do this.

Just because City didn't score by catching out our high line doesn't mean it worked. Aguero and Tevez miss controlled easy opportunities to get in behind. On a different day they'd have scored 3 or 4 in the first half, but due their own poor play, it looked like things were going our way. They weren't. We were terribly set up both to defend and attack. FFS we have Bale and Lennon, we should be encouraging City forward, not pressing them back.

Tactically this was the worst I've seen from AVB. The score line was close, but so were their games against Swansea, Ajax and West Ham. We played the least effectively of all those teams against them and it was because we neutralized our own threat. Formation, team selection, subs etc, are no where near as disappointing as playing in a way that doesn't allow our wide players to break.

poor passing, very little movement, defensive subs again

we were poor tbh

When you are playing away from home against a top side, and your best threat is going to come through Bale and Lennon, you do not play a high line. Formation and subs aren't the big deal today. I'm no fan of big tactical reasoning, but trying to play a high line and thus squeezing the play, when your biggest asset is the pace of you wide players on the counter attack, is plain stupid. I don't see why some of our fans believe in master tacticians and so on, when a guy who has won league and European titles can do this.

Just because City didn't score by catching out our high line doesn't mean it worked. Aguero and Tevez miss controlled easy opportunities to get in behind. On a different day they'd have scored 3 or 4 in the first half, but due their own poor play, it looked like things were going our way. They weren't. We were terribly set up both to defend and attack. FFS we have Bale and Lennon, we should be encouraging City forward, not pressing them back.

Tactically this was the worst I've seen from AVB. The score line was close, but so were their games against Swansea, Ajax and West Ham. We played the least effectively of all those teams against them and it was because we neutralized our own threat. Formation, team selection, subs etc, are no where near as disappointing as playing in a way that doesn't allow our wide players to break.

Thats a good post and youre correct. We are so concerned with what the opposition is going to do we actually seem to forget our strengths and forget about how we are to use our strengths. It is to the detriment of our strengths that we try to neutralize the opposition.

I know I will get a load of "joke club" replies to this, but whatever. I find it hard to believe that you played worse than that this season. The second half was pure dominance; that was the first time our 3 at the back formation worked. For the majority of the second half we played with one centre back and 4 full backs yet you barely troubled our area. Maicon did much better than any of us could have expected, he changed the match for us. I was far more impressed with Spurs in the 3-2 last season, you could probably give better reasons for this than I.

As annoying as he was, Adebayor didn't deserve to be on the losing side today. He was the best striker on the pitch. Sandro was immense too. Huge compliments to your fans too, very loud. Always said that they're among the loudest in the Prem.

Sandro and Ade were our best players by a long way

We have played worse than that IMO at least the Wigan game for one but its not an excuse. We look absolutely lost to be honest.

I thought you were there for the taking with a arguably unfit Silva in the creative role you need to put pressure on him but we gave him plenty of time

Still amazes be that Gareth Barry gets in your side... He just look woefully inadequate to me.

Back