• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT*** Tottenham Hotspur Vs Dnipro

Really disappointed but hardly surprised. Sherwood, just like any other English manager, was not going to take the EL seriously and the players played like they didn't care either. We fielded a decent first team but a shyte bench. With our top striker in the Cups, Defoe, allowed to leave earlier, we were always going to face problem winning this match. Dnipro were poor as well but we were even more shyte. We did create a few chances but didn't make use of it. Chadli wasted a good chance in the first half while Soldado wasted two, including a miss-of-the-season sitter. It was annoying to concede the penalty the way we did as our defending were shyte all match.

It is really annoying that before this match, we were unbeaten and had not even conceded any away goal in the EL this season under AVB. Now under Sherwood, we not only lost our clean sheet and but lost the match as well. We could still win this match in the second leg but looking at the way we played, not sure we have any intention to go all the way to win the EL.

It's called blind faith, I was guilty of this many many years ago but its now occured to me that as fans we need to have more ambition. Finishing 5th last season was a massive blow and empowered Arsenal to a semi resurgence. All because we did not have the right mentalitry as a club to get the job done. In my eyes that is a failure yet so many Spurs fans focused on a record points score that meant nothing and has gotten us nowhere.

If we make excuses for losing there is no hope.

Isn't this your normal stick whenever we get a disappointing result?

I'm sure I've seen some articles somewhere that correlates results over time with fan reactions or ambition... No wait, that was club spending power. That's the deciding factor. Not sure quite how you logically set it up so that the emotional reaction of fans to a loss influences the long term future of the club without referencing The Secret or some such hogwash?

What put Arsenal and United in their strong positions? The fan attitude of the clubs in the '90s and '80s respectively, or the financial position they got themselves in on the back of CL football and the success Wenger and Ferguson brought the clubs?

Why are Chelsea and City where they are? Fan attitude or oil money?

Unless you're in a position to directly influence what happens with the club your attitude isn't going to chance things I'm afraid.

Lol ok I went a bit far. We weren't that bad. But I do worry about our defending. I just hope we can finally settle on a proper back four.

Sums it up pretty well for me.

Quite a few mitigating factors imo, **** poor pitch, long trip, resting key players (good decision). We controlled possession for long stretches, but struggled to defend against them on the break.

Wanted us to do better, but there's a lot of football left in the tie and that will actually be football played on a football pitch, not a place more fit for farmyard animals (if you can believe it, no offense meant to any Ukrainians around).

I think we might have to play Adebayor in the return leg though, Dnipro will come to the Lane with the same attitude and we might need someone to mix it up a bit.

Got through the tie without fielding a particularly strong side, only one down going into return leg. A couple of players got valuable game time having returned from injury.
I think Sherwood got it spot on.
It's about getting through over two legs while managing resources. Not putting your strongest side out against pub teams and ending up with an injuries like AVB kept doing.

Disappointed in Sherwood, thought we would take this competition seriously, but that seems too much. Not sure how we'd cope with champions league football if we can't play Europa at the same time as league competitions. Now we're going to have to play our full team next Thursday.

In short, dumb move. Would have been far better suited to make a statement in the first leg and then rest players at home. We are now at a pretty decent risk of going out.

Disappointed in Sherwood, thought we would take this competition seriously, but that seems too much. Not sure how we'd cope with champions league football if we can't play Europa at the same time as league competitions. Now we're going to have to play our full team next Thursday.

In short, dumb move. Would have been far better suited to make a statement in the first leg and then rest players at home. We are now at a pretty decent risk of going out.

I think Dnipro are a level above what we faced in the group stages.

Even if we sent a full strength team away there's a very good chance we'd have to play our full team next Thursday. And even with a full strength team in both games there would be a decent risk of going out.

I thought Sherwood found a good balance between resting players and sending a strong team to the away match.

I don't think Sherwood got the team wrong to be honest. We should have scored. Soldado 2 and Chadli 1 really should have scored their chances. And whilst they should have scored their 1 on 1, the penalty was an absolutely sloppy goal to give away.

I think the players will feel they let a good opportunity to win that slip.

Knoplyanka looks a hell of a player. I think we are going to slip further behind Liverpool if they do end up securing him.

...Verts looked totally disinterested - worrying...
...Friedel looked good, though....
...how many more times for Soldado???
COYS

Got back from USA this morning after a few days in Florida. Made sure this game was recorded in full so I could watch it upon getting back. Just finished.

Wish I didn't bother now! It wasn't a bad game or anything but we were pretty poor. Soldado's miss summed up our performance nicely. Friedel had a very good game but the defence and midfield were constantly overran and the less said about Bobby's performance the better. Deserved to lose, fortunate it wasn't by more so we're still in the tie. Rested a few players but that's no excuse as we had £28m and £17m players out there delivering nothing of note. I love Dawson but he was abysmal at the back. Stronger team next week please Sherwood. Don't throw another competition.

Dnipro's striker played well and Konopylanka was top drawer - will be depressing when he joins one of our rivals this summer. Instead we'll continue playing Townsend or Chadli on the wings or, even worse, waste Eriksen out there when he should be in the centre.

the pitch and other factors will have acted as levellers. i have faith that we go through in the next round when we get them at whl

new avatar.

goodbye leeds united, hello wande!

I'd like to see us go for Konoplyanka. At the time I was happy to say we don't need him, but having watched him today, I think we would be mad not to put in a bid.

Got through the tie without fielding a particularly strong side, only one down going into return leg. A couple of players got valuable game time having returned from injury.
I think Sherwood got it spot on.
It's about getting through over two legs while managing resources. Not putting your strongest side out against pub teams and ending up with an injuries like AVB kept doing.

Wow for the first time Hully I think I agree with you!

I wonder does Sherwood's lack of interest in Europe stem from his terrible European record as a player.

what makes you think that Sherwood doesn't take the EL seriously?

I think it's you. And your gift for divining character from how someone plays football.

Sorry, didn't mean it that way, I try not to be judgemental. Thinking more in the lines as how he often "dives" and when he doesn't get a foul takes his time getting up. In hindsight arrogant was probably the wrong term. Sorry lads!

Back