• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland, Saturday 7th December KO 17:30***

Interesting Spurs Premier League strike-rate stats going into the Sunderland game...

P0374_zps8ffa3b92.png

Tottenham Hotspur Total Premier League Appearances, Goals & Strike Rates 1992-2014

Jan Vertonghen is out of Saturday’s trip to Sunderland, Andre Villas-Boas has confirmed.

The Belgian sustained an ankle injury in the closing stages of our 2-1 victory at Fulham on Wednesday.

And Head Coach Andre has confirmed that the defender will be missing for Saturday’s trip to the Stadium of Light as he continues to be monitored following an initial MRI scan.

Andre also confirmed that Emmanuel Adebayor (knee) and Christian Eriksen (ankle) remain sidelined.

Jan Vertonghen is out of Saturday’s trip to Sunderland, Andre Villas-Boas has confirmed.

The Belgian sustained an ankle injury in the closing stages of our 2-1 victory at Fulham on Wednesday.

And Head Coach Andre has confirmed that the defender will be missing for Saturday’s trip to the Stadium of Light as he continues to be monitored following an initial MRI scan.

Andre also confirmed that Emmanuel Adebayor (knee) and Christian Eriksen (ankle) remain sidelined.

Question is..Naughton or Fryers. I would go with Zeki on this one tbh, liked what I saw from him against Anzhi or Sherriff.

Yesterday it was 17 years to the day since Steffen Iversen signed for Tottenham Hotspur. He's the only player to have scored a hat trick in a Premier League meeting between the two clubs.

Dembele or Townsend ;)

Townsend may be an option (Dembele might not play anyway) but he should play upfront this game ahead of Lennon. Fryers - Townsend is a very dynamic duo, but perhaps a liability at the back. Dunno who plays MR for Sunderland tbh so I don't know if we'd get away with it? ;)

----------------Lloris------------------

Walker-------Chiriches---Kaboul-----Naughton

-------------Sandro------Paulinho----------

Lennon--------------Holtby------------Townsend

------------------Defoe----------------------

Subs: Friedel, Lamela, Siggy, Soldado, Chadli, Dawson, Capoue

Defoe played very well on Wednesday and looked much more dangerous than Soldado has. Reputation and transfer fee aside Defoe should be playing he's in better form. Lamela didn't do enough to be included over Townsend or Lennon imo but could be a useful impact sub. Dawson's form has dropped and if Kaboul is fit would like to see him in there. Holtby is our only fit ball playing CM and must start quite frankly or we will be toothless.

3-1 Spurs finally some goals! Townsend, Defoe, Holtby (naughton OG)

How long do we think Verts will be out? If our famed medical dept do their usual, we won't see him till next year at the earliest. Same with Dembele. :(

A new left back is now critical in January IMO

Andre also confirmed thatEmmanuel Adebayor (knee) and Christian Eriksen (ankle) remain sidelined.

How many different injuries can a player sustain in such a short time ? Is this a record?

Have we discovered a new Sicknote?

I hope a left back is on the agenda in January. Either for back up or to push Rose for a starting place so them two can fight it out.

Here is another idea we could go back to the dark ages of football and actually play 2 strikers? You know that is crazy talk but we have struggled to score with 1

Question is..Naughton or Fryers. I would go with Zeki on this one tbh, liked what I saw from him against Anzhi or Sherriff.

I would like to see Fryers given a start. Just to give us a left footed attacking fullback down that side. Some good signs of him and Chadli linking up well in the EL i thought. If he's given protection from midfield I'm thinking he should be able to cope with Sunderland. Or if he can't then he should get a loan deal somewhere as he's nowhere near ready for PL football.

Here is another idea we could go back to the dark ages of football and actually play 2 strikers? You know that is crazy talk but we have struggled to score with 1

It wouldn't be a totally DAFT idea - if we had two strikers that could play together. Unfortunately, at this moment in time, we don't.

It seems we only have Defoe and Soldado to choose from. I think it played a big part in our win against Fulham to NOT change to 4-4-2, but instead swap defensive midfielders for attacking ones.

Interesting Spurs Premier League strike-rate stats going into the Sunderland game...

Tottenham Hotspur Total Premier League Appearances, Goals & Strike Rates 1992-2014

Do you have the figures for minutes per goal scored?

Interesting but pretty meaningless. Soldado's appearances are mostly starts whereas a lot of Defoe's are as sub for 20 minutes. Then you have to wonder how relevant Defoe goals from 9 years ago are going into the Sunderland game

FWIW, I had a trawl through the Premier League and ESPN stats...

Since Defoe returned to us from Portsmouth:
08/09: 3 goals (all from starts) in in 561 minutess (6 starts / 2 sub) = 187 mins per goal
09/10: 18 goals (all from starts) in 2555 minutes (31 starts / 3 sub) = 142 mins per goal
10/11: 4 goals (all from starts) in 1479 minutes (16 starts /6 sub) = 370 mins per goal
11/12: 11 goals (4 as a sub) in 1301 minutes (11 starts /14 sub) = 118 mins per goal
12/13: 11 goals (1 as a sub) in 2411 minutes (27 starts / 7 sub) = 219 mins per goal
13/14: 0 goals from 298 minutes (2 starts / 7 sub) = n/a
TOTAL: 47 goals (5 as a sub) in 8605 minutes (93 starts / 39 sub) = 183 mins per goal

42 of those goals were scored from his 93 starts at an average of 1 per 2.21 games or 182 minutes per goal.
5 of those goals were scored from his 39 sub appearances at an average of 1 per 7.80 games or 194 minutes per goal.

Adebayor:
11/12: 17 goals in 2827 minutes (32 starts / 1 sub) = 166
12/13: 5 goals in 1597 minutes (18 starts /7 sub) = 319
13/14: 0 goals in 45 minutes (0 starts / 1 sub) = n/a
TOTAL: 22 goals (0 as a sub) in 4469 minutes (50 starts /9 sub) = 203 minutes per goal

Soldado:
13/14: 4 goals (0 as a sub) in 1014 minutes (12 starts / 1 sub) = 256 minutes per goal

:-k

Last edited:
It seems we only have Defoe and Soldado to choose from. I think it played a big part in our win against Fulham to NOT change to 4-4-2, but instead swap defensive midfielders for attacking ones.

fair point and with only Defoe and Soldado it doesn't look like it would work great BUT you never know? Like I said goals haven't exactly been flowing so there could be worse ideas

I agree fully!

The 4-4-2 with Soldado and Defoe change in some of our previous games was (rather unsurprisingly) a failed experiment. Getting more ball playing midfielders on makes a lot more sense in a situation like that and from the start in a game against Sunderland if we want to be more attacking.

Naughton will play, fryers isn't ready yet. We need to buy a left back in January!

We're conceding goals with Jan so it'll be even worse tomorrow. I've changed my prediction from a 2-1 win for us to visa versa.

Back