• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland, Saturday 7th December KO 17:30***

maybe Kane should be given a go.....in all I would play defoe again....taking soldado out of the firing line for a bit may be a smart move.

Kane doesn't usually play centrally does he; more of the left?

You take defenders out of the firing line. With strikers it's better to let them plough through it - one lucky toe-in and after that you can't stop them. It's what Venables did with Shearer in the build up to Euro 96, or Wenger with Henry in his first season.

Kane doesn't usually play centrally does he; more of the left?

You take defenders out of the firing line. With strikers it's better to let them plough through it - one lucky toe-in and after that you can't stop them. It's what Venables did with Shearer in the build up to Euro 96, or Wenger with Henry in his first season.

you may be onto something there....just henry had loads of attributes in his locker....Soldado does one thing and that's goals....if we aren't getting that and the media keep going on at him then I thought a break might be benficial.

Hope Dembele's back.

Dembele appears to have Ledley's knee as his hip now.

Tottenham head coach Andre Villas-Boas has revealed that Mousa Dembele missed the 2-1 win at Fulham because of a hip complaint.

The Belgian international had been in the travelling party but the reoccurrence of the injury meant that the Portuguese coach was unwilling to risk him.

“He suffers from hip pains that he carried from last season,” Villas-Boas explained.

He normally needs three days to recover. He was initially selected to travel but it was too painful this morning so we left him out.”

Spurs defender Jan Vertonghen had to be helped off the pitch after the victory at Fulham and Villas-Boas is unsure whether the 26-year-old will feature in Saturday’s trip to Sunderland.

“He rolled his ankle and I think at the moment it’s quite swollen,” the Spurs boss admitted.

“We’ll assess it today medically. I don’t want to rule him out immediately. At the moment it’s quite swollen.”

With Vertonghen filling in for the injured Danny Rose at left back it could leave Tottenham with a dilemma as to who plays there, especially with the 23-year-old unlikely to play any part as he steps up his recovery from a foot injury.

Danny comes back into training today,” Villas-Boas explained.

“Sunderland and Anzhi will probably be too soon for him.

“Fitness wise he’s okay but we need to get him into the rhythm of training and hopefully we’ll see him back.”
http://www.london24.com/sport/spurs..._vertonghen_injury_and_rose_fitness_1_3077152

Last edited:
Naughton for Vertonghen and Kaboul for Dawson would be my priorities for this one. Going forward we have more options.

I think Vertonghen will be out for this one and probably Dembele too? if both are out..

------------------------------Lloris------------------------------

Walker--------------Dawson--------Chiriches-----------Naughton

------------------------Sandro---Holtby------------------------

--Lennon--------------------Lamela--------------------Chadli---

-----------------------------Defoe-----------------------------

Subs: Friedel, Kaboul, Paulinho, Townsend, Siggy, Capoue, Soldado

There's no way Defoe deserves to be dropped after the performance against Fulham imo. I'm not a Defoe fan but i want our manager to be fair and dropping Defoe after a good performance is not fair. Chadli or Siggy on the left i don't mind...

So Dembele should be ok so him in for Holtby.

What is all this talk about Vertonghen not being ready?

If he's not and we play Naughton (or some other right footed player) at left back then Townsend on the left flank for me.

What is all this talk about Vertonghen not being ready?

If he's not and we play Naughton (or some other right footed player) at left back then Townsend on the left flank for me.

Ankle injury. I don't think he should play LB any more, he's a complete liability there. Better off giving Naughton a couple of games.

Ankle injury. I don't think he should play LB any more, he's a complete liability there. Better off giving Naughton a couple of games.

Shame.

He might be a bit of a liability defensively, but he gives us a left footed option on the left and unless AVB plays Townsend as the left winger then two right footed players on the left just looks all kinds of narrow to me. Naughton will do fine defensively I think, but against Sunderland we're likely to benefit from some width down the flanks from the fullbacks.

Shame.

He might be a bit of a liability defensively, but he gives us a left footed option on the left and unless AVB plays Townsend as the left winger then two right footed players on the left just looks all kinds of narrow to me. Naughton will do fine defensively I think, but against Sunderland we're likely to benefit from some width down the flanks from the fullbacks.

He's been less and less involved going forward as well. Don't expect to see Townsend start much, it will be Chadli or Lamela IMO.

I've seen a few say that Naughton is fine defensively, but I think that's his weak spot. Prone to the odd lapse in concentration, but he's a smart footballer going forward, as can be seen by some exquisite passes to set up chances. Shame they don't happen more often.

He's been less and less involved going forward as well. Don't expect to see Townsend start much, it will be Chadli or Lamela IMO.

I've seen a few say that Naughton is fine defensively, but I think that's his weak spot. Prone to the odd lapse in concentration, but he's a smart footballer going forward, as can be seen by some exquisite passes to set up chances. Shame they don't happen more often.

I agree about what you say going forward, but it's just that he's still right footed and that means that the obvious crossing option is removed. That is quite important not only for the chances it creates, but also for the space it forces opponents to cover.

I agree that Vertonghen has been getting less involved going forward, a bit frustrating.

Not too sure I agree about the defensive contributions of Naughton, to me he does fine. Everyone has the odd lapse in concentration and especially when being used as a squad player and rarely getting a real run in the team.

Naughton tends to get beaten by an opposition player more than the other defenders. Probably a mixture of poor concentration, poor decision making and simple not being a very good defender.

-------lloris--------------
-------Capoue-------
---------walker vlad kaboul fryers-------------
------------sandro----------------
----------lennon lamela townsend/chadli-----------------
----------------soldado---------------------

Andros seems to be our only decent left footed player now! as a result, I would put him in his lesser favoured position as a left wing back but I would cover him with two defensive DMs.

---------------Lloris-------------------
----------Kaboul----Vlad---------------
Walker---Sandro---Capoue-----Andros
--------------------------------------
---Lamela-----Dembele----Siggi/Kane--
---------------Soldado---------------

I'm sticking with the inverted wingers purely for Walker and Andros as WBs. I want to stick with Dembele behind the lone striker as I think that is his strength.

Lamela again on the right as Azza isn't an inverted winger or a left sided inverted winger.

I really want to see Kane start - highly rated by the coaching staff so there must be something there.

A central DM partnership is not only there to cover our flying wingbacks but to cover our attack minded CB's. Vlad and Kaboul can bomb forward at times and we have two tall and powerful DMs to sit back if required (particularly on counter attacks that are on the floor or in the air).

DO IT!

Andros seems to be our only decent left footed player now! as a result, I would put him in his lesser favoured position as a left wing back but I would cover him with two defensive DMs.

---------------Lloris-------------------
----------Kaboul----Vlad---------------
Walker---Sandro---Capoue-----Andros
--------------------------------------
---Lamela-----Dembele----Siggi/Kane--
---------------Soldado---------------

I'm sticking with the inverted wingers purely for Walker and Andros as WBs. I want to stick with Dembele behind the lone striker as I think that is his strength.

Lamela again on the right as Azza isn't an inverted winger or a left sided inverted winger.

I really want to see Kane start - highly rated by the coaching staff so there must be something there.

A central DM partnership is not only there to cover our flying wingbacks but to cover our attack minded CB's. Vlad and Kaboul can bomb forward at times and we have two tall and powerful DMs to sit back if required (particularly on counter attacks that are on the floor or in the air).

DO IT!

Quite like the look of this team, but with Holtby for Dembele, who is injured.

Time to give Daws and Pauli a rest.

Lloris

Walker - Kaboul - Chiriches - Vertonghen

Sandro - Dembele

Lennon - Lamela - Chadli

Soldado​

--

Is the team I'd play. Lloris picks himself. You then have Walker at right back which is another one of the first names on the teamsheet, Dawson deserves a "REST" or dropping rather and I feel we'd need Kabouls aerial presence as well as his physical presence against Altidore. Chiriches and Vertonghen because we have no one else to play those positions and I don't think this is the sort of game for Naughton, he can quite easily play midweek in the Europa League.

Sandro and Dembele if he is fit please. One of the best partnerships in the league and easily our best partnership. Both dominate the middle of the park, something we're going to need to do if we are to get something out of this game. Lennon on the right, doesnt deserve to be dropped as in good form at the moment, I've gone with Lamela playing through the middle as I feel it's a good way to get him in the team now Eriksen is out injured but I have a slight feeling it'll either be Paulinho or Holtby after his goal yesterday. I have also gone with Chadli at left midfield because of his physical presence and abiltiy to keep possession, wins a lot of headers and with how Sunderland have been at set pieces this season that'd be crucial for us.

As much as Defoe done well yesterday, I'd start Soldado here. His confidence is low but sitting on the bench isn't going to give him any more confidence, with Lennon back in the team and doing well, let them too get a sort of understanding that Lennon and Defoe have had for years. I also think Soldado and Lamela can turn out to be a real handful with their one touch passing on the edge of the box.

Like I said previously, I think we'll win 2-1.

If Sunderland play the same team they did against Chelsea then we will need more of a presence next to Sandro than Holtby. Gardner and Colback will chase anything and everything, and Gardner has got a decent long range shot on him. I'd keep it simple in the middle if Dembele is out with Sandro and Paulinho. Keep Holtby going at no.10 as he's got a bit of confidence and maybe drop in Townsend and Gylfi. I'd actually like to see Townsend on the left and Gylfi on the right too. Kaboul in because Altidore is gonna be a pain to contain and Fryers at left back because he has a left foot.

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Chirches Fryers
Sandro Paulinho
Sig Holtby Townsend
Soldado

Come 60 mins we get Lennon on for one of Holtby or Sig and get him running at their right back who should be tiring. Maybe bring on Lamela or Chadli for Townsend to keep width or grab a goal depending on the situation. If we are behind or pushing for a goal i'd use Lamela because he seems more adept at the intricate passing around deep defences. Chadli is a more direct option.

Back