• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Monaco***

well something has to change because next season we will play all our PL games at Wembley too. This sh!t losing run and poor performances there have to stop

This is the problem we will play there next season so no more excuses from anybody at Spurs.
Jan was woeful for the first goal!
Harry has to get his act together.
And Levy need s to look at the transfer policy buying a Sissoko and Janssen for around £46m but letting the 'pacey' Batshuayi slip through his grasp (allegedly) £30m!

We lost the game ourselves.
Two unnecessary defensive mistakes and a couple of great missed chances cost us at least a draw. Monaco is a good solid team, but nothing really special and surely not the team we can't beat at home.
Alli's and Kane's perfomances in the beginning of the season are worrying.

My throat feels rubbish from constantly shouting. I feel tired from a lack of sleep. I feel confused as to whether the referee was really as bad as I thought last night. I feel disappointed that we fluffed our lines on our big day and went back to doing a 'Tottenham'.but I can't wait to be back shouting us on on Sunday, with what little voice I have remaining. And then to being back at Wembley in November. Sometimes it's not great being a Spurs fan, but you know what I would never change my allegiance..I am Spurs through and through and I'll be there, if I can be, every step of our club's journey.

My throat feels rubbish from constantly shouting. I feel tired from a lack of sleep. I feel confused as to whether the referee was really as bad as I thought last night. I feel disappointed that we fluffed our lines on our big day and went back to doing a 'Tottenham'.but I can't wait to be back shouting us on on Sunday, with what little voice I have remaining. And then to being back at Wembley in November. Sometimes it's not great being a Spurs fan, but you know what I would never change my allegiance..I am Spurs through and through and I'll be there, if I can be, every step of our club's journey.

Tell me about it - I was not there sadly but the support looked great.

Sunderland next! and some hard work for Poch on the training ground

First half was shocking, we woke up only after conceding the 2nd goal. It was almost as if the players were intimidated by the big crowd. We played without an idea, creativity and had poor movement. Things improved in the second half but we just weren't clinical enough with the chances we created, which is something that will need to improve on if we want to progress from the group.
Couple of things stood out for me. I thought we missed Rose bombing down that left site and putting in dangerous crosses - we looked most threatening when we stretched the game.
Kane looked like he had 100kgs of weights strapped on to him and was yet again playing too far up the pitch. His finish in the 79th minute says it all about his current form. Should definitely be rested for the next game or two.

Two unnecessary defensive mistakes and a couple of great missed chances cost us at least a draw. Monaco is a good solid team, but nothing really special and surely not the team we can't beat at home.

and Dier

could be a big hangover from the way we ended last season and also what happened with England at the Euros.

They are young guys who are having to grow up fast and compete at the top after a very short time. Plus for their efforts they have been rewarded with big money contracts and rightly so but if you add everything together ( playing at a high level week in week out, the intensity of Pochs training and pressing tactics, increased media attention, international recognition and expectations, contract negotiations) at some point the pressure will become too much and they will need time to adjust and cope as well as grow as men and footballers.

I think Poch made a big mistake last night in not playing Wanyama alongside Dier. Not just because we would have been defensively more solid with the centre backs better protected but also because Wanyama has CL experience iirc from his time at Barca. When the team was announced i did post here that it was a very unlike Poch decision/selection to be sold bold attacking wise especially as Monaco had a player like Silva who would try to dictate the game in an attacking sense alongside Moutinho. We needed Wanyama or Dembele alongside Dier. Had either started we wouldnt have lost the game

Referee must have been quite good really, I can't recall being anything more than slightly annoyed on a few occasions.

Agree with your analysis of the game totally.

I thought Alli looked a bit better tonight, only when he was pushed further forward though.

Nah. There were some bad performances (Kane and Alli being the two worst performers, imo) ... @Daisuk isn't 100% right - but I definitely intend to be shortly. :)
Kane and Alli our worst two performers? Ye gods. Kane's striking sharpness in front of goal that was wanting but his approach play last night was nothing less than excellent. As for Alli, which game were you watching? Far from being one of our worst he was probably our best player on the night.

Kane and Alli our worst two performers? Ye gods. Kane's striking sharpness in front of goal that was wanting but his approach play last night was nothing less than excellent. As for Alli, which game were you watching? Far from being one of our worst he was probably our best player on the night.
Beg to differ, dele was poor and Harry worse. Missed a very good chance and chose to shoot a couple times with numerous defenders in front of him when other players had loads of space.
Except walker I don't think any of the outfield players covered themselves in glory.
They were all poor and equally culpable, they win as team and lose as a team. I hope they can put it behind them and move on better the we fans have.

Have to disagree on the Kane front as well. Dele looked ok, but Harry waaaayy off the pace of the game. Got caught on his heels far too often when the through ball was on. Looked short of pace and needed too many touches to get the ball out of his feet. Instinctively very slow. Ducked out of a few 50-50s and that chance when he went through on goal, only to slow up and look at the linesman first just summed up his game last night.

He was marked tightly, so credit to the Monaco structure, but his first touch was heavy at times so he struggled to bring others into the game bar once or twice.

I think his body language told you he knew he was having a poor game.

Reading above, I have to say we do love to split hairs.

No one covered themselves in glory last night.
Walker and Alderweireld are the exception.

We must keep playing Harry. Harry and Vince are horrible together......

Sadly I hoped I was wrong but Wembley totally lived up to my initial worries.
Its hard to know why it did but we played like England and for the life of me I can't see the answer to this season CL games there.
Let hope we get used to it, so we are over it for next seasons EPL games.

To holding midfielder does slow us down even more which is kind of frightening.

I don't think we can blame the size of Wembley pitch for the result, but here's something I noticed that i'd like to hear some opinion on.

There were a fair few times where the Monaco midfield seemed to waltz quite easily through us and onto the defence. Granted they have some technically gifted players (Moutinho) and one of our DM's was the ill-disciplined Alli. HOWEVER, did the size of stadium and pitch just contribute to our players being those few yards further away from each other than usual?? Did subconsciously the players wander apart a little compared to the tight pitch at WHL where they "feel" closer to each other in the middle?
Those extra yards seemed to show as Monaco somehow got to the majority of loose balls before us and seemed to evade our desperate lunges (Dier). Tackles that it feels we would've nailed at a smaller WHL. Be interested to know what our successful tackles ratio was compared to similar games at WHL.

I don't think we can blame the size of Wembley pitch for the result, but here's something I noticed that i'd like to hear some opinion on.

There were a fair few times where the Monaco midfield seemed to waltz quite easily through us and onto the defence. Granted they have some technically gifted players (Moutinho) and one of our DM's was the ill-disciplined Alli. HOWEVER, did the size of stadium and pitch just contribute to our players being those few yards further away from each other than usual?? Did subconsciously the players wander apart a little compared to the tight pitch at WHL where they "feel" closer to each other in the middle?
Those extra yards seemed to show as Monaco somehow got to the majority of loose balls before us and seemed to evade our desperate lunges (Dier). Tackles that it feels we would've nailed at a smaller WHL. Be interested to know what our successful tackles ratio was compared to similar games at WHL.

For me two things: Monaco had more pace on the break, at least one more 'dribbler' and also we had two many 'non-defensive-minded' midfielders.
I think if we start with either Wanyama or Dembele alongside Dier and Alli further forward we have a much less worrying first half, as Monaco worry more about Alli's runs in behind (or Son's actually) and we don't leave them so much space in front of the back four to exploit.
Pace, or lack of it compared to your opponents, become more of a factor on a bigger pitch imo.

Poch has said what it was. The players lacked passion. For yesterday, look to the players and their performance especially the front four. Erikson did shiite - He performed way below the level he is supposed to. Alli had to start driving runs in the absence of creativity. Kane did nothing good - IMHO he looked like he didnt care.

Poch has said what it was. The players lacked passion. For yesterday, look to the players and their performance especially the front four. Erikson did shiite - He performed way below the level he is supposed to. Alli had to start driving runs in the absence of creativity. Kane did nothing good - IMHO he looked like he didnt care.

It was a fair post for discussion - until the last bit, when you ruined it with nonsense

Sorry @afsoc4life how do you quantify when a player "looks like he doesn't care"?
What was it about Kane that you saw yesterday that you haven't seen before that made you think that?

Are you sure you aren't letting emotions after a bad result get the better of you??

Back