• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Monaco***

Mustn't forget that it was a very warm night, and breezes may be few at the Lane - but non-existant at Wembley.

The sweat must have been pouring off them in that sauna. Monaco perhaps a little more accustomed to it.
THIS is exactly the reason we lost. Monaco is known for it's plethora of public saunas and warm breezes. It is a widely known fact that Monaco specifically train for sweat and slight wind. I think we need a total re-think of all our training methods.

THIS is exactly the reason we lost. Monaco is known for it's plethora of public saunas and warm breezes. It is a widely known fact that Monaco specifically train for sweat and slight wind. I think we need a total re-think of all our training methods.

Now now!. I didn't say it was the deciding factor, just a factor when so many saying our players looked tired.

You naughty, naughty boy.

One thing struck me about the starting 11. It had a look to it of rewarding the core players for getting Spurs to the top four last season.

Granted, it's a deserved honour, starting in Spurs first CL game, especially at Wembley. And most of them are due to be picked most weeks, but maybe Poch was simply trying to keep happy the guys who played the biggest roles last season. No doubt, Rose would have started, too, had he been healthy.

A more cold-blooded approach would have seen Wanyama in there for the first hour, just to play the attrition game and, hopefully, keep the score even until after the hour mark, when more attacking options could be brought on and we'd go for the win. So, the midfield looked a little lightweight and defensively frail. But if Poch was handing out rewards, I'm OK with it. It wasn't a complete disaster of a result and the players will have learned plenty from it.

He'll have them firmly in his grasp at training in the days ahead and now has license to pick squads as he sees fit and no one has grounds to complain.

Beyond that, it looked just great to see Wembley packed with Spurs fans. A big indicator of how the club is growing and how truly justified the new stadium is.
Who started as a reward? For me he saw the game against Stoke and went for the more attacking formation that produced our best football. With that in mind perhaps dier for victor?

Think the result is colouring this opinion.

it's true, look at their stadium, one end is four massive dyson air blades

Who started as a reward? For me he saw the game against Stoke and went for the more attacking formation that produced our best football. With that in mind perhaps dier for victor?

Think the result is colouring this opinion.

Nay, lad. The case was clearly stated.

Don't ever presume to think or assume on behalf of me. Or other posters. By all means, have your own take on matters and take your own pops.

The Stoke game probably had some influence given Son's fine finishing. But had we begun with Wanyama or a suitably fit Dembele, we likely wouldn't have had the naive moment resulting in that first goal. Monaco's second was more good fortune with the bounce of the ball - on an admittedly fine cross - than any great tactical execution.

We saw last season where Spurs were content to work at grinding down their opponents, using superior fitness and stamina, to score important goals late on. We could easily and justifiably have opted for a formation to achieve this. But we didn't, hence my opinion.

I've put a call in to MP for confirmation. You'll be the first to hear about it when he replies.

Don't ever presume to think or assume on behalf of me. Or other posters. By all means, have your own take on matters and take your own pops.

The Stoke game probably had some influence given Son's fine finishing. But had we begun with Wanyama or a suitably fit Dembele, we likely wouldn't have had the naive moment resulting in that first goal. Monaco's second was more good fortune with the bounce of the ball - on an admittedly fine cross - than any great tactical execution.

We saw last season where Spurs were content to work at grinding down their opponents, using superior fitness and stamina, to score important goals late on. We could easily and justifiably have opted for a formation to achieve this. But we didn't, hence my opinion.

I've put a call in to MP for confirmation. You'll be the first to hear about it when he replies.

I'm not so sure about that, if you look back at the first half of each of our opening four league games you'll see that we gave away several chances in each of them, despite having the solidity of two DMs at the base of our midfield, no reason to think that'd have changed v Monaco

We did create a lot of chances. But our forward line is young and inexperienced. Compared to top teams we lack some composure in the final third. Davies was 'cold', needs a few games, but otherwise our back 5 or 6 including Dier is the perfect age/level of experience, as good as anyone's.

I wanted us to sign an older player for our attack, and I guess in Sissoko we did. With the pressure on, often the final ball or finish is not at elite level. But they show, time and again, they can be! It's just consistency, especially when the pressure is on. Which is to be expected when the oldest attacking player is 24!

Dembele provides a bit of experience and composure, maybe Sissoko can too. The young attacking players need to show maturity beyond their years; and in such games keep patience and focus. We were fractions - a sloppy pass or a better finish - away from destroying Monaco. Poch has to unlock their maturity, as he did last season.

I thought we were unlucky more than anything. They scored with their first two shots in a game we dominated. They're a good team and going two behind like that is going to be difficult for any team to turn around.

I think people are being overly harsh on Lamela and Vertonghen. For the first goal Lamela tries to set up a good attack on the break and plays with some risk, I think we have to accept that. Vertonghen gets isolated one against one against a quick technical player. He gets the shot from a decent range, but for all of those wanting Verts to tackle or "show him the outside" that would include a fair risk of getting done by the Monaco player and a one against one against Lloris being the outcome. Most central defenders will struggle with situations like that.

I thought we were unlucky more than anything. They scored with their first two shots in a game we dominated. They're a good team and going two behind like that is going to be difficult for any team to turn around.

I think people are being overly harsh on Lamela and Vertonghen. For the first goal Lamela tries to set up a good attack on the break and plays with some risk, I think we have to accept that. Vertonghen gets isolated one against one against a quick technical player. He gets the shot from a decent range, but for all of those wanting Verts to tackle or "show him the outside" that would include a fair risk of getting done by the Monaco player and a one against one against Lloris being the outcome. Most central defenders will struggle with situations like that.

I agree with the first part but think Lamela, Verts ....and Dier were all culpable. Lamela gave the ball away in a dangerous position and Verts should have shown him the outside thus cutting down any shooting angle. However, IMO Dier deserves some blame too. He was the only holding DM playing at that time and shouldn't have been caught out of position. With Walker bombing on, Dier should have dropped deeper much earlier to provide some cover in just this eventuality. The fact he didn't is, I am afraid, indicative of his poor form so far this season.

So who out of the core players started as a reward? Son, but he wasn't a core player last year.

You may be right saying we should have started tighter, but still find it a bit difficult to justify started as a reward statement..... Lad

Back