• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool Sunday 31st August 1330 KO***

Been away for two months on work, arrived back late last night and looking forward to being able to get back to the Lane!

Being in Dubai it's not been difficult to watch as many Premiership games as possible so I've caught both of ours. Made it clear in the summer I wasn't keen on Pochettino but he's started well. We shouldn't get carried away, West Ham are West Ham and QPR will get mauled by most good teams they play but the impressive thing has been our clear identity, something we saw no sign of last season. I'm not sure what to make of our transfer activity, we haven't improved the first team but Poch can get alot out of players like Capoue and Lamela so that's not a big deal seeing as how we spent so much last summer.

Liverpool look to have bought well, Markovic was man of the match when Benfica came to the Lane, he has that Berba touch with all the effortless ability but with an abundance of pace on top it. I was in Seville last year for a few weeks and attended a few of their games and Moreno looked very good, and Balotelli is marmite but I've always said I'd love to see him in a Spurs shirt, he's a top player. However they have obviously brought in lots of new faces at once so they will need time to gel, so this could be a good time to face them.

LLORIS - DIER FAZIO VERTONGHEN ROSE - CAPOUE DEMBELE - LENNON ERIKSEN LAMELA - ADEBAYOR is what I would go with.

I'm gonna sit on the fence and go for 1-1, which wouldn't be a bad result for either side and would hopefully be enough to keep us atop the league.

COYS

---------------------------Lloris-------------------------

Dier-------------Kaboul-----------Vertonghen-------Rose

---------------------Capoue---Dembele------------------

----Chadli-----------------Lamela--------------Eriksen--

------------------------Adebayor-----------------------

subs: friedel, davies, chiriches, Benteleb, Sandro, Townsend, Kane

jeez no room for Naughton, Fazio, Paulinho, Holtby, Lennon and Soldado.

I think Kaboul playing 90 minutes yesterday means he won't start... Wouldn't be very surprised if we'll see Fazio alongside Verts. Wouldn't be a bad bet against Ballotelli.

In other news, when is Walker coming back??

Last edited:
NOTHING would please me more than if we trash these fu**ers!!! I hate them so badly! I may get some stick for this, but I hate them a lot more than that London team in red. The reason for that is that I have some friends that are gooners, and they are ok. Same thing cannot be said about the Liverpool scums! 1 time in the last 6-7 season they've finished above us, and they act like they're on a totally different level, and is the greatest team on earth ever!!
Fu**ing tw@ts!

I can't agree more!!!!! The arrogance after having the best season in their premier league history is amazing

They have brought in plenty of players but not one IMO thats better than what they had (although the new full backs may prove me wrong)

I absolutely loved their football last season and you couldn't fail to be impressed but i dont see them being on the same page this season

I can't agree more!!!!! The arrogance after having the best season in their premier league history is amazing

They have brought in plenty of players but not one IMO thats better than what they had (although the new full backs may prove me wrong)

I absolutely loved their football last season and you couldn't fail to be impressed but i dont see them being on the same page this season

Can you elaborate on why you think this? Personally I think they might not be as devestating but they showed for periods when they didn't have Suarez,Sturridge or Gerrard at key times that the system just needed the right type of players available to slot in easily. Or Brenton changed the system to accomodate (e.g. playing a diamond so he could play Sturridge, Suarez AND Sterling.

The pace they still have I think could be very scary.

Can you elaborate on why you think this? Personally I think they might not be as devestating but they showed for periods when they didn't have Suarez,Sturridge or Gerrard at key times that the system just needed the right type of players available to slot in easily. Or Brenton changed the system to accomodate (e.g. playing a diamond so he could play Sturridge, Suarez AND Sterling.

The pace they still have I think could be very scary.

IMO they have pace from 2 players sterling and Sturridge who are both great players

At no point last season were they without two of their better players.

Suarez was involved in around 50 goals and yeah they started well without him but they now have to make up those goals from somewhere and I don't think they have signed a striker to play in the same system. He was in effect the glue that held their attacks together IMO

They also have a defence that leaks like a sieve. Southampton should have beat them with the chances they had and City were at 75% to score their goals

They also play quite a gung-ho system which smashes the **** teams (look ah Suarez record vs the poor sides) bug against better sides catches them out. Poch has a great record vs Brenton because he plays a very organised dynamic system rather than a cavalier attack minded one

---------------------------Lloris-------------------------

Dier-------------Kaboul-----------Vertonghen-------Rose

---------------------Capoue---Dembele------------------

----Chadli-----------------Lamela--------------Eriksen--

------------------------Adebayor-----------------------

subs: friedel, davies, chiriches, Benteleb, Sandro, Townsend, Kane

jeez no room for Naughton, Fazio, Paulinho, Holtby, Lennon and Soldado.

Agree with the first XI. But man it is hard choosing who even gets on the bench.

I think what Poch is likely to do is Bentaleb in for Dembele. Fazio on bench instead of Vlad maybe, Paulinho for Sandro and Lennon for Townsend.

http://blog.paddypower.com/2014/08/...ack-tottenham-to-beat-liverpool/?AFF_ID=16562

The ‘Regression to the Mean’ is a phenomenon popularised in the late 19th century by Sir Francis Galton, or G-Dog to his mates.

Simply put, G-Dog’s theory was that if a result is extreme on its first measurement, it will tend to be closer to the average the second time around. While that may apply to science, maths, physics and plenty of other subjects you can’t remember learning about in school, it also could apply to this weekend’s match between Tottenham and Liverpool. Here’s how…

White-Hart-Pain_800px.jpg

Bookmakers, punters and pundits alike will refer to this fixture at White Hart Lane last season, were the Reds ran riot, thrashing Spurs 5-0 courtesy of goals from Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling, Jon Flanagan and a brace from Luis Suarez.

But that result was the extreme result, and this weekend you might be better off siding with Galton’s theory that the result will regress to the mean, and that equates to backing Tottenham to win at 8/5.

Taking that result out of our statistics, Spurs’ record at home to Liverpool in the Premier League is very strong.

Of the 21 Premier League games between Tottenham and Liverpool at White Hart Lane, Spurs have won 11 of them, giving them a strike rate of 52 per cent
Liverpool have won just five times there since the Premier League began. A strike rate of just 24 per cent
Before last year’s thrashing Tottenham had won the last five league games at home to Liverpool on the spin

The regression to the mean might not just apply to the winner of the match, but also to the scoreline. A 5-0 win between two sides with similar aspirations to break into the top four, and potentially mount a title challenge, is rare, and the average score between these sides in London is usually considerably tighter.

76 per cent of the 21 games were either draws or one goal wins, suggesting a narrow win should be expected rather than another hammering
Seven of the 21 games have finished 2-1 to Spurs – by far the most common result between these two sides at White Hart Lane in Premier League history

Spurs are 8/5 to take all three points from Sunday’s game, and 4/1 if you fancy Mauricio Pochettino’s side to win by exactly one goal or 17/2 if you fancy it to finish 2-1 to Tottenham. Alternatively, if you think Sir Galton’s theory is completely meaningless in this instance Liverpool are 17/10 to win the match and 275/1 to repeat their 5-0 hammering

For as long as I can remember Tottenham v Liverpool has always been one of the ‘A’ Grade fixtures of the season. When I first started watching football in the late 80s Liverpool were the best team around and the ones who you always wanted to compare yourselves against. Clearly this fixture has always been held in high esteem; for the four seasons prior to the Premier League (1988/9 – 1991/2) the game was televised live at WHL every time – this at a time where there was a maximum of 1 live game each week.

During the first decade of the PL era when we were a perennial mid table team Liverpool descended into relative mediocrity usually doing enough to finish in the top 6 but rarely any higher. Despite their Champions League success in 2005 they were still unable to mount a credible title challenge (except for 2008/9) and so Spurs and Liverpool have become closer and closer in terms of league positions and thus a mini rivalry has developed.

What are your memories of Spurs v Liverpool fixtures?

My first was the game in March 1989 – the televised Sunday game on ITV with Liverpool top of the league and Spurs, under Terry Venables, having started the season badly, had rallied and in good form. The first half was largely uneventful but surged into life midway through the second half. The rarity of all rarity’s during the 80’s occurred when a penalty was awarded against Liverpool and Terry Fenwick calmly converted in front of the Park Lane. Within 2 minutes though Liverpool were level through a penalty of their own when Paul Allen fouled Ray Houghton. Peter Bearrdsley then won the game. In hindsight I wish Liverpool had scored a third as that would have denied Arsenal the title that season!

My favourite memory was our 2-1 victory on the opening day of the 2009/10 season. Having finished the 2008/9 season so well under Harry we made pragmatic tweaks to the squad over the Summer and went through pre-season optimistically. It was a glorious Sunday afternoon in London and that was perfectly encapsulated by Benny’s thunderbolt before half-time. Gerrard equalised but Bassong, on his debut (despite being suspended ;-) ) headed in a powerful winner and we deservedly won 2-1. That performance and result set the tone but a memorable season in which we took Liverpool’s Champions League spot.

No doubting that last season’s 0-5 reversal was my worst memory of the fixture; however the most frustrating was the 1998 game when we led 3 times (Klinsmann, Ginola and Vega) only to be pegged back 3 times – the last one from Steve McManaman in the last minute in our near relegation catastrophe under Christian Gross.

A list of all Spurs v Liverpool league results since 1988.

1988-89 1-2 Fenwick (p)
1989-90 1-0 Stewart
1990-91 1-3 Lineker
1991-92 1-2 Walsh
1992-93 2-0 Nayim, Ruddock
1993-94 3-3 Samways, Hazard (p), Caskey
1994-95 0-0
1995-96 1-3 Barnes o.g.
1996-97 0-2
1997-98 3-3 Klinsmann, Ginola, Vega
1998-99 2-1 Fox, Carragher o.g.
1999-00 1-0 Armstrong
2000-01 2-1 Ferdinand, Sherwood
2001-02 1-0 Poyet
2002-03 2-3 Taricco, Sheringham
2003-04 2-1 Keane (p), Postiga
2004-05 1-1 Defoe
2005-06 0-0
2006-07 0-1
2007-08 0-2
2008-09 2-1 Carragher o.g., Pavlyuchenko
2009-10 2-1 Assou-Ekotto, Bassong
2010-11 2-1 Skrtel o.g. Lennon
2011-12 4-0 Modric, Defoe, Adebayor 2
2012-13 2-1 Lennon, Bale
2013-14 0-5

http://blog.paddypower.com/2014/08/...ack-tottenham-to-beat-liverpool/?AFF_ID=16562

The ‘Regression to the Mean’ is a phenomenon popularised in the late 19th century by Sir Francis Galton, or G-Dog to his mates.

Simply put, G-Dog’s theory was that if a result is extreme on its first measurement, it will tend to be closer to the average the second time around. While that may apply to science, maths, physics and plenty of other subjects you can’t remember learning about in school, it also could apply to this weekend’s match between Tottenham and Liverpool. Here’s how…

White-Hart-Pain_800px.jpg

Bookmakers, punters and pundits alike will refer to this fixture at White Hart Lane last season, were the Reds ran riot, thrashing Spurs 5-0 courtesy of goals from Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling, Jon Flanagan and a brace from Luis Suarez.

But that result was the extreme result, and this weekend you might be better off siding with Galton’s theory that the result will regress to the mean, and that equates to backing Tottenham to win at 8/5.

Taking that result out of our statistics, Spurs’ record at home to Liverpool in the Premier League is very strong.

Of the 21 Premier League games between Tottenham and Liverpool at White Hart Lane, Spurs have won 11 of them, giving them a strike rate of 52 per cent
Liverpool have won just five times there since the Premier League began. A strike rate of just 24 per cent
Before last year’s thrashing Tottenham had won the last five league games at home to Liverpool on the spin

The regression to the mean might not just apply to the winner of the match, but also to the scoreline. A 5-0 win between two sides with similar aspirations to break into the top four, and potentially mount a title challenge, is rare, and the average score between these sides in London is usually considerably tighter.

76 per cent of the 21 games were either draws or one goal wins, suggesting a narrow win should be expected rather than another hammering
Seven of the 21 games have finished 2-1 to Spurs – by far the most common result between these two sides at White Hart Lane in Premier League history

Spurs are 8/5 to take all three points from Sunday’s game, and 4/1 if you fancy Mauricio Pochettino’s side to win by exactly one goal or 17/2 if you fancy it to finish 2-1 to Tottenham. Alternatively, if you think Sir Galton’s theory is completely meaningless in this instance Liverpool are 17/10 to win the match and 275/1 to repeat their 5-0 hammering
Congratulations on being the first person this season to mention regression to mean. May it be the first of many \o/

Footage of ITv's Big Match coverage of the 1989/90 clash. Sadly none of the match action on this link but we won 1-0 with a late Paul Stewart header.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzKkIzR7cDY

For any kids out there this will look like a relic. Love the following things that I remember so fondly:

Elton Welmsby
ITV Big Match theme tune
That there are only 2 subs
players with 1-11 numbers
Brian Moore commentary
WHite Hart Lane with small Paxton Road and Park Lane end
Coverage starting 5 mins before kick-off

I quite like the signings they've made, I can see a lot of sense in what he's done. It's not going to click straight away though, so good for this fixture to come now.

I don't think Liverpool will be fighting for the title this season, the extra games in Europe will take their toll, but they won't be too far back.

I think Kaboul playing 90 minutes yesterday means he won't start... Wouldn't be very surprised if we'll see Fazio alongside Verts. Wouldn't be a bad bet against Ballotelli.

In other news, when is Walker coming back??

I would be surprised to see Fazio. Although I suppose it would probably mean that he's been excellent in training.

Playing a central defender that's entirely new to the club and the league less than a week after signing him, against what is at least a top 4 challenger seems optimistic at best. Doing so when his standout weakness is his pace and Liverpool have players like Sturridge and Sterling that are absolutely rapid and the Ballotelli you mention that's also pretty quick seems almost unfair to Fazio, it's like asking him to have a poor debut.

With Kaboul and Vertonghen most likely available it seems like the obvious option to me.

NOTHING would please me more than if we trash these fu**ers!!! I hate them so badly! I may get some stick for this, but I hate them a lot more than that London team in red. The reason for that is that I have some friends that are gooners, and they are ok. Same thing cannot be said about the Liverpool scums! 1 time in the last 6-7 season they've finished above us, and they act like they're on a totally different level, and is the greatest team on earth ever!!
Fu**ing tw@ts!

Aha! So this is the post they've quoted on RAWK to stir up those who feel the same way.

I thought they weren't allowed to post alternative views on rawk

"we are the true knot"

"we endure"

"lodsana hanti"

Back