• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Everton FC ***

I just want the VAR refs to explain their reasoning for whatever decision they make - be that doing nothing, sending the ref to the monitor or overruling the ref. It's not complicated.

When the VAR refs rewatch any incident, they make a decision based on what they see. I just want them to explain what they saw that made them come to their conclusion.

In rugby all the contenious decisions and thought processes are broadcast. But no one understands it anyway as the rules are complex! In rugby they can also take more time and upgrade yellows to red effectively.

Why not just give the VAR officials with the repays the authority to make the decisions at any time. Go back to the earliest incident missed on the timeline and restart the clock and the game from there.

It still doesn't deal with the debateable decision. Any foul is effectively on a scale. From banged to rights clear foul down to 51% foul 49% not a foul. It is that area where it could be given or couldn't that is the hardest thing to adjudicate. And what tends to happen is those close calls go with the home side. They are never overruled by var as they bordeline.

Is referring an art of a science? You find many refs give the edge decisions to the losing side (especially if at home), almost unconsciously making the game more interesting.

We've conceded injury time goals in 8 matches this season. Is that a reflection of how poor our options off the bench are?

It's a great question.
Yesterday, I think Ange simply got it wrong, removing all the starting midfielders in a game like that was a rish, replacing them with who he did not ideal, and I personally would not have brought Dragusin on then. Having said that, if Deki would just learn not to do stupid things sometimes, that'd be helpful. Instead of not passing quickly, or trying to turn and carry the ball, why not just hold the ball and draw the foul at that moment? And IF you do give it away, don't petulantly foul the bloke and hand them the perfect angle for a potential equaliser....so regardless of options off the bench, we did it to ourselves too!

It's a great question.
Yesterday, I think Ange simply got it wrong, removing all the starting midfielders in a game like that was a rish, replacing them with who he did not ideal, and I personally would not have brought Dragusin on then. Having said that, if Deki would just learn not to do stupid things sometimes, that'd be helpful. Instead of not passing quickly, or trying to turn and carry the ball, why not just hold the ball and draw the foul at that moment? And IF you do give it away, don't petulantly foul the bloke and hand them the perfect angle for a potential equaliser....so regardless of options off the bench, we did it to ourselves too!

I don't particularly like the move of bringing on Dragusin because I think it sends a message to Spurs and the opposition that we're going to sit back and try to see the game out. I think the mental impact is larger than the individual personnel. I think it also goes against what Ange has been saying; we never step back, we always try to look to score more. It seems like he's compromising a bit, trying to find a way to get the win. He's still very much learning too, so I'll forgive that.

But, like you say, it almost worked. But for giving a dumb foul away it did work. If Deki just gets rid of the ball then the narrative is "it was a struggle but the subs did what they needed to do." So it's a very fine line. Hopefully we iron these sorts of things out over the remainder of the season and then (with some more reinforcements to suit the style) we go really hard at next season.

At the moment it's tempting to say it looks like we need to bank at least 3 goals to make up for all the mindless, unforced errors we make. So much of it is mentality, which seems to have been a perennial issue for us as long as I can remember.

Sorry if someone’s already posted this, but the laws of the game are pretty clear on obstruction being a foul.

Don’t understand why pundits never actually reference the rules when talking about decisions (or indeed fudging referees!)
And the result of obstruction, if given, is an indirect free kick. Other indirect free kick offences dangerous play (high boot etc) and offside.
It's a bit off topic, but when was the last time you saw a ref indicate an indirect free kick for anything other than offside?

I haven't seen it for years! It's really bizarre. They give direct for everything now.

It's a great question.

Thought kulu and sarr were the right choices. After that though?

I agree with that, but when you strip your midfield of the ability to do that against a side who are going to brickhouse as much as possible in the closing minutes of a tight game, you need to consider your subs. I think you have to ask another 6 minutes of Hojberg, and I think I’d rather the experience of Davies in that moment than Dragusin (who did nothing wrong of course)…there is a message sent when you put three CBs on the field in the last few mins IMO.
Hojbjerg gave the ball away really sloppily at least once towards the end before getting subbed. He looked tired. You can ask another 6 minutes of him, but if he then keeps looking tired and sloppy and we concede because of that the question becomes why didn't Ange sub him...

The experience of Davies would be good, but Dragusin is much better at defending in the air, much more physical. Again, in hindsight, experience of Davies. But put him on and concede from a set piece the question would be asked why not Dragusin who is a bit of a beast in the air.

Imo the problem was that we were missing key players with others coming back from injuries recently. That "should" be Hojberg coming on from the bench to help us see the game out, as he has repeatedly. But we didn't have that level of player on the bench.

We've conceded injury time goals in 8 matches this season. Is that a reflection of how poor our options off the bench are?
I think that kind of stat sometimes gets too much attention. Still a relatively small sample size. Not saying you're doing that, just a point of clarification that this may also be mostly coincidence.

I agree with you that we've been short of options on the bench particularly when we've had quite a few starters missing (or just returning from injuries).

I also think we may be struggling a little bit with what our identity is supposed to be in these situations. Are we supposed to just play our normal way to the very end, or also knock the ball around, or also just hoof it at times, or also try to go for the corner flag etc.

I think a lot of the focus from Ange has been on instilling our way of playing and we've gotten quite far with that. Innstilling how to adjust from that to specific game conditions will usually take a bit longer.

He has an advantage of height, hands and can jump
There is no reason that he shouldn’t clear the ball in those situations. He uses a weird planing a way technique too
The city one was, IMO, a foul as he had no intent to oaky the ball and jumped after Vicario moved (which is why the Burnley Luton goal was allowed - keeper moved after the defender)
But yesterday the attacker moved towards vic… tickled him and he went down like he was really hit. Weak IMO
If he jumps he would get taken out and get fouls

Attacker more than 'moves towards him' and 'tickles' him. He moves into him and physically obstructs him, preventing him from getting a clean jump.

Vicario still gets a hand to the ball but the nudging means he is off balance and can't launch properly so it a weak hand.

Standing your ground is one thing but deliberately backing into a player is a foul. Doesn't matter how strong or weak Vicario is there, the Everton player deliberately interferes with him, off the ball, in an illegal way.

Attacker more than 'moves towards him' and 'tickles' him. He moves into him and physically obstructs him, preventing him from getting a clean jump.

Vicario still gets a hand to the ball but the nudging means he is off balance and can't launch properly so it a weak hand.

Standing your ground is one thing but deliberately backing into a player is a foul. Doesn't matter how strong or weak Vicario is there, the Everton player deliberately interferes with him, off the ball, in an illegal way.

Shoulder to shoulder though.

We need to get a defender or attacker to help him clear space. At one point he had 3 everton players around him. Our players were on the 6 yard line.

We need to get a defender or attacker to help him clear space. At one point he had 3 everton players around him. Our players were on the 6 yard line.
And the way we’re set up works

Blocking vics space to come for it with more bodies creates other issues. He has to do better. He needs to jump to for a start

It wasn't though, was it?

It was backing in using hips and buttocks.

If we had a defender doing what he was doing to him or Calvert-Lewis and they went down when within playing distance of the ball there would be arms up for a penalty.

If agree with you if vic jumps
He doesnt
He stands and uses his height. It’s a weak way of dealing with a simple problem

You can't jump if someone is nudging you.
You can try
Then you get a foul
It’s that simpje
If you stand still and flap a push at the ball ( weak technique) then the ref is not going to see anything wrong.

If you actually attempt to jump and move … you will fall
That’s a foul

Our players waled away from that goal looking embarrassed for Vic

Last edited:
While goalkeepers do have the advantage of using their hands that also puts them in a disadvantage in a physical duel. Imagine doing a shoulder to shoulder, then imagine a shoulder to shoulder where you have to keep your arms over your head... It's not really a shoulder even. Your much more vulnerable parts get exposed.

Not saying he can't do more, I think he can. But it's also important to remember why this is more difficult for keepers and imo this is why keepers historically have been more protected by refs.

It's also not just keepers that struggle in aerial duels when having to compete in a duel. Just like competing in a duel for a header usually impacts the accuracy and strength of the header a duel for a keeper will make it much more difficult to get a good fist to the ball.

Back