• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT ** Tottenham Hotspur v Emirates Marketing Project **

So good.

Often counter attacks are about sheer pace, for this one none of our players are ever in a full sprint I think. Smart, accurate passes, good touches, awareness, composure. Poetry in motion, could meditate to this move.

Every single touch, every single player involved there's something to admire with that move. Romero's aggression when stepping in, but composure with the pass. Bentancur just letting the ball run across him, finding the right pass. Son's first time lay off. Kane's deft little pass through. Bentancur and Sessegnon combining. The cut inside from Bentancur then Son. Perfect pass to Kane.

Then there's the movement off the ball...

So good.

Often counter attacks are about sheer pace, for this one none of our players are ever in a full sprint I think. Smart, accurate passes, good touches, awareness, composure. Poetry in motion, could meditate to this move.

Every single touch, every single player involved there's something to admire with that move. Romero's aggression when stepping in, but composure with the pass. Bentancur just letting the ball run across him, finding the right pass. Son's first time lay off. Kane's deft little pass through. Bentancur and Sessegnon combining. The cut inside from Bentancur then Son. Perfect pass to Kane.

So good.

Last sentence critical.

There seems to be 'something in the water' when we play Emirates Marketing Project. That's 4 wins in 6 (PL games) during a period in which we've been pretty average and City have been mostly blistering.

In fact we have taken more points (13) off City during this period than any other club in the PL (bar Burnley - also 13 points) and conversely City have not recorded less points (4) against any other team (Man Utd 7 is the closest).

To an extent it does seem like the same film every time - we score from a very low number of shots. During these last 6 PL games against them we've scored 10 goals from 36 shots; 18 of which have been on target. That means that 28% of our shots end up as goals. Over the whole of this season and last we average 12% shots = goals.

We actually recorded less shots (6) this season than we did in the same fixture last season (7) - the one loss in this period a fairly meek 3-0 defeat.

Without wanting to dig up old wounds this emphasises for me the significance of psychology - compare our belief and results against City compared to Chelsea where we seem to freeze.

If you throw in the Liverpool home performance you arguably have seen 3 of our 4 best performances this season (City x 2, Leicester) against the best 2 teams. Yes, the tactical blueprint for City is almost entirely unique but it does bring in to play the intangibles around belief and ultimately luck too.

There seems to be 'something in the water' when we play Emirates Marketing Project. That's 4 wins in 6 (PL games) during a period in which we've been pretty average and City have been mostly blistering.

In fact we have taken more points (13) off City during this period than any other club in the PL (bar Burnley - also 13 points) and conversely City have not recorded less points (4) against any other team (Man Utd 7 is the closest).

To an extent it does seem like the same film every time - we score from a very low number of shots. During these last 6 PL games against them we've scored 10 goals from 36 shots; 18 of which have been on target. That means that 28% of our shots end up as goals. Over the whole of this season and last we average 12% shots = goals.

We actually recorded less shots (6) this season than we did in the same fixture last season (7) - the one loss in this period a fairly meek 3-0 defeat.

Without wanting to dig up old wounds this emphasises for me the significance of psychology - compare our belief and results against City compared to Chelsea where we seem to freeze.

If you throw in the Liverpool home performance you arguably have seen 3 of our 4 best performances this season (City x 2, Leicester) against the best 2 teams. Yes, the tactical blueprint for City is almost entirely unique but it does bring in to play the intangibles around belief and ultimately luck too.

...and determination and motivation against the weaker sides.

...and determination and motivation against the weaker sides.

To an extent yes.

It's easier to be determined and motivated in games against City (as long as we're not getting smashed at least). Not just because it's a big game and all that.

Everyone's job is clearly defined, they know what to do and mostly how to do it. Cover space, be aggressive, get back into position when needed. Try to launch counter attacks. Try to find composure when we have the ball.

It's a lot harder in other games. The plan may be there, but we don't always have the required quality to make it happen. You can't mindset your way into being more creative, pass better, have a better touch, at least not short term.

Teams sit back, we have the ball. There are no gaps. Difficult to just force of will an opening. More belief helps, but ultimately that more composed determination that allows some teams to grind down smaller teams requires quality on the ball and a plan for how to do it that at some point will work.

I'm not sure it's motivation as much as quality. That motivation, belief, determination comes from knowing/believing that we will break this team down at some point. That comes with quality.

To an extent yes.

It's easier to be determined and motivated in games against City (as long as we're not getting smashed at least). Not just because it's a big game and all that.

Everyone's job is clearly defined, they know what to do and mostly how to do it. Cover space, be aggressive, get back into position when needed. Try to launch counter attacks. Try to find composure when we have the ball.

It's a lot harder in other games. The plan may be there, but we don't always have the required quality to make it happen. You can't mindset your way into being more creative, pass better, have a better touch, at least not short term.

Teams sit back, we have the ball. There are no gaps. Difficult to just force of will an opening. More belief helps, but ultimately that more composed determination that allows some teams to grind down smaller teams requires quality on the ball and a plan for how to do it that at some point will work.

I'm not sure it's motivation as much as quality. That motivation, belief, determination comes from knowing/believing that we will break this team down at some point. That comes with quality.

I think we are also too easily influenced by the opposition. Great teams have their way of playing and impose it, regardless of the opposition. With us, you get the impression we are too easily knocked off our plan. How often do we start games with intent then lose our structure and get pushed into playing the other sides game? Happened against Southampton. And we often start passing well with shape, but then heads drop, and we lack determination and confidence to impose our game. When you're playing against a top side, they encourge you to play better, as it were. Against lesser sides we get too easily pulled into playing their scrappy game. It is partly psychology, partly practice in Conte's system.

I think we are also too easily influenced by the opposition. Great teams have their way of playing and impose it, regardless of the opposition. With us, you get the impression we are too easily knocked off our plan. How often do we start games with intent then lose our structure and get pushed into playing the other sides game? Happened against Southampton. And we often start passing well with shape, but then heads drop, and we lack determination and confidence to impose our game. When you're playing against a top side, they encourge you to play better, as it were. Against lesser sides we get too easily pulled into playing their scrappy game. It is partly psychology, partly practice in Conte's system.

Agreed, but I think quality is a big part of that too. Particularly when we have one or two first choice players missing.

Really encouraging how we dealt with City's pressing and managed to play through that. Had we managed the same against Southampton the game would have been very different.

If we can keep up playing with that kind of quality and bravery against high pressing teams that will be significant improvement.

Agreed, but I think quality is a big part of that too. Particularly when we have one or two first choice players missing.

Really encouraging how we dealt with City's pressing and managed to play through that. Had we managed the same against Southampton the game would have been very different.

If we can keep up playing with that kind of quality and bravery against high pressing teams that will be significant improvement.

I don't think the arse will give Kane the space he managed to find on Saturday. He dropped while others ran. And City didn't get ontop of that. Other teams that play similarly will watch that game and ensure they have someone on Kane if he drops off.

Like you alluded to, having Bentancur really helped. He has a little bit of pomp and confidence in his ability to play forward. Conte's message was we had to play perfectly to beat them - and a lot of players did raise their game. Can they consistently? Show that alertness, make their passes stick, not make mistakes.

Pep's arrogance might be something to do with it, we can prep for these games months in advance, because they do the same thing every time, the fact that they play a high line against Son yet still let Kane drop into space helps too.

If they sat deep, put a big man up front and banged balls into the box, we would make more mistakes than them and they would definitely win.

He had the same failing at Barca.

With unlimited funds, it's not enough to win most of your games, you have to win all of them.

It's funny how people moan even when their club is just winning and winning. People are always going to want to moan, I suppose! :p

Yup, particularly when it comes to football it seems! Anything less than constantly outdoing expectations / previous achievements will have a good number of people moaning, I find. And losing to a team that’s lower in the league will have pretty much everyone moaning!

I don't think the arse will give Kane the space he managed to find on Saturday. He dropped while others ran. And City didn't get ontop of that. Other teams that play similarly will watch that game and ensure they have someone on Kane if he drops off.

Like you alluded to, having Bentancur really helped. He has a little bit of pomp and confidence in his ability to play forward. Conte's message was we had to play perfectly to beat them - and a lot of players did raise their game. Can they consistently? Show that alertness, make their passes stick, not make mistakes.

Thats where the issue lies for me, to encourage players to play quicker and play those types of passes means fans need to accept it will lead to mistakes, it may even lead to conceeding a few goals, yet when a player does lose possession or misplaces a pass while trying to play quicker fans are on their backs meaning they play it safer. Take Bentancur, he tried to play quickly and control as much as he could, yet you read this forum and he was "caught in possession", Dier is another one who tries to play more progressively, Davies to to some extent yet one misplaced pass which gives the opponent the ball and they are the worst player to put on the shirt, need to be replaced by xx player for £50mil. Last game I was at was Southampton, and you could see the players trying to encourage the fans to support, Sonny when we went 2-1 up for example literally was having to raise his hands asking for fans to increase the volume. I think that's where we need to accept those mistakes, encourage them to play forward and not vilify every player who makes one instead encouraging them to try it again. Anyways rant over, the city game was good - albeit City are one of the teams who do play right into our hands as you can counter them, Burnley is a completely different kettle of fish and will need that fast progressive passing to break their wall of defence.

I just wish our supporters could move on and support the current set-up as opposed to often making them pay for past failures. It is vital we give 3 months unconditional support at games IMO and check the privileged flimflam at the door. My opinion only of course...

Amen brother.

That's where i would expect kulu to make a difference.
He looks like he will be a threat and give kane in particular but also son some space to work in.
We now have a three up front that can pass, score and assist.

I’m currently watching the game back and when Kane scores the a wide we had 5 men in the area
And we were the defensive team

They typically don't do well against hum however they try to do it. The biggest development for me is that Dier and Bentancur are on the same page, both pass quickly and progressively, Romero's passing from the right hand side is excellent and Kulusevski is intelligent and talented on the ball and off it. I think if we show up we best them no worries.

You have to think conte showing back the vids on mondays training. Will make the players fully buy into contes methods. Seeing the results of all that training must make them realise it's all worth it.

You see in the training vids. Constantly doing the 6 one touch passes then the longer ball.

Back