• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea Rent Boys F.A Cup SF ***

horrible that we lost to them after playing so well. But lot's to learn from this. The more of these big games we have the more we will improve. They are so often settled on mistakes or moments of magic. We made 3 bad mistakes, something we didn't do at the Lane. We were solid, which is the way to beat Chelsea. Conte wanted to play this catanaccio, and when you do it with the likes of Luiz (who to be fair played very well), Ake and Azplicueta, you are chancing it a bit.
We had them at 2-2, could only see one winner. But they are efficient and we are sloppy at Wembley. Can't make excuses for Son's silly foul or our poor defending from the corner. We just have to learn from it.
Hopefully we can get Rose fit and back to playing every game remaining. I am confident we can go on and win all of our games. Where that takes us who knows.

Dembele was magnificent and Eriksen... the most underrated player in the league. Superb.

We were the better side for large portion's of the game, ultimately though stupid error's cost us and Chelsea were more clinical. There aren't many sides that have forced them to put 11 men behind the ball for large periods, but we did, it's just a shame that we couldn't translate that dominance into goals.

One other thing though, them having the ability to bring on three players of that quality shows just how far the gulf really is between our squads. If we are to push on, then we need to get a couple of players that can come in and displace some of our starting 11.

Absolutely gutted!
Feels familiar, and i'm trying no to say the infamous S-ey word, but when you have even Toby getting yellow card you know a curse is striking ye again.
Can't fault the players effort and Poch's selections (i understood why, even if in the end it didn't work out) but ultimately I think how i will look at this game will be determined by our reaction (in terms of how we play AND our results) in the next 3 games.

P.S. - This is what fudging happens when an OMT virgin decides to a) start one in our biggest game of the game and b) use terms like 'Rent boys' in the OMT title.
Thanks

I really think you are over emphasising the Son issue. He dived in impetuously but could have done that even if he hadn't played the wing back role.
Agree. I know you can't say "other than the penalty", because it was a pretty big rooster up for him to go to ground, but we weren't exactly getting overrun down that side while he was in that position, we were easily the better side.

Now we're a couple of hours past, can I just mention - yet again - the brick-show of a direction / coverage job the BBC did today.

I'm not even talking about utterly irrelevant pre-show nonsense about how many times we've lost a semi (oo-er), but the GHod-awful camera shot choices.

Do we really need two separate shots of the fudging Antonio aeroplane banner? Do we need close ups of every fudging player each time the commentator mentions their name?

Do we need the 3rd replay whilst the game is going on? Or shots of the crowd, managers or the bench whilst the ball is in play?

When are they going to learn? Fudge off with your attention-deficit direction, fudge off with your in-game contextual narrative and just show the fudging game.

I always do it

I always watch a Game I've been too

Watching it again I can see yang the ref didn't give us anything that wasn't blatant and obvious - he is a really weak ref

He didn't even give the pen, his Lino did

This is the same ref that gave Matas miracle him too
I only ever watch games I've been to and won. cant watch when we lose. I'll turn football off for a few days and not even look at the proper news.

It's not s fluke, actually. You can generate tremendous power and keep the ball low when you let it run across your body and shoot. I was never much of a player, but scored some worldies this way. I don't know why teams don't set up for that more often.

Son obviously got the Wembley syndrome like Toby with that inexplicable penalty concession; i mean how many times has HE gained penalties this season from similar positions? West Ham? Boro?

You fear his head will drop for the rest of the season and/or Poch hardly picks him again (we know he can be very unforgiving at times, particularly with those who are more on the fringes..)

I hope he can recover; we'll need him and his pace and directness

We were the better side for large portion's of the game, ultimately though stupid error's cost us and Chelsea were more clinical. There aren't many sides that have forced them to put 11 men behind the ball for large periods, but we did, it's just a shame that we couldn't translate that dominance into goals.

One other thing though, them having the ability to bring on three players of that quality shows just how far the gulf really is between our squads. If we are to push on, then we need to get a couple of players that can come in and displace some of our starting 11.

Less Gulf, more Volga.

5 mins in is hardly enough time to give Son a chance. He was not responsible for their first goal. Poch did eventually switch Trippier onto the left perhaps because he chose his superior crossing ability over Davies, it really is easy to criticise from our arm chairs but the manager has got so many decisions right this season I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I really think you are over emphasising the Son issue. He dived in impetuously but could have done that even if he hadn't played the wing back role. Ultim we lost because they were able to change things up more than us.

Switching Trippier to the left because of his crossing ability *on the right* just doesn't fit with me - he was constantly cutting back onto his stronger foot and costing us a crucial couple of seconds in the process, so what's the benefit? Davies would have sent it in first time while on a run forward, usually low into the middle - and, iirc, those usually result in goals more than a considered cross which gives the defenders time to position themselves does.

It is armchair criticism, true, but then all of us are armchair critics - only people with professional careers or Continental Class A/B coaching licenses can say they speak from more than an armchair view of the sport as a whole. Shouldn't really factor into an opinion about whether playing Son at LWB was right or not, especially given that (as I mentioned) I had a bad feeling about it right from when it was announced - not like it came in hindsight after he gave away a penalty and was hooked on 60 minutes.

As for giving away the penalty, he wouldn't have been in the position he was in if he weren't playing at LB - if it were Davies and Son was higher up the field, he could have covered passing lanes behind Moses instead of being left alone with him on the edge of the box with nobody within fifteen yards of him. He had to go in for that challenge because he was our LB, with all the responsibilities that entailed - and being a forward, he went in with a forward's challenge.

I mentioned that we lost for three reasons - the decision to play Son at LWB, the decision to replace him with Trippier and the fact that they were able to bring Hazard, Costa and Fabregas off the bench while we could only respond with Gorgeous George. I agree that our squad weaknesses relative to Chelsea played a big part. But so did the failure of Poch's gamble, imo.

Ultimately this is down to team selection.
No it's not. Son's pen aside we outplayed them with him in the game. And their first and third goals were from set pieces, none of which were Son's fault. Especially the third one, since he wasn't even on the pitch. So let's not get overly upset about the team selection. As a matter of fact, changing the shape might have done us more harm than good, but I admit that's 20/20 hindsight.

In any case, it was an inspired performance by us. Just didn't have the luck and Chelski had all of it.

It's not s fluke, actually. You can generate tremendous power and keep the ball low when you let it run across your body and shoot. I was never much of a player, but scored some worldies this way. I don't know why teams don't set up for that more often.
The chances of him repeating that at any point during the rest of his career are pretty much zero. Normally some racist knuckledragging gobbrick in row Q (they were attacking their end) is taking that in the mush. Typical that he'd manage it today of all days.

Re squad weakness:

I'm not sure Batshuayi is a much better option than Janssen

I'm not sure Hazard, Pedro and Willian are much better options than Alli, Eriksen and Son / Lamela

Fabregas is a better option than Winks currently, but I think most agree Winks has huge upside

So I think looking at the subs today in isolation is simplistic and misleading - the gap looked bigger than it really is due to Chelsea starting with their weaker players, us playing Son at WB, and Lamela and Winks being injured

The real like-for-like comparison with today's Chelsea subs is Kane, Alli and Winks

Re squad weakness:

I'm not sure Batshuayi is a much better option than Janssen

I'm not sure Hazard, Pedro and Willian are much better options than Alli, Eriksen and Son / Lamela

Fabregas is a better option than Winks currently, but I think most agree Winks has huge upside

So I think looking at the subs today in isolation is simplistic and misleading - the gap looked bigger than it really is due to Chelsea starting with their weaker players, us playing Son at WB, and Lamela and Winks being injured
Rose being injured was bigger than both winks and Lamela imo. But it's been like that all season we have had to contend with so many injuries to key players. Hard to win titles when that happens.

Back