• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Boro***

Corners, We suck at them. it's now getting monotonous. Please can someone else take them and can we vary it from always going near post and more often than not hitting the first man. A good corner coach could easily get us an extra 5 goals a season IMO. That could make all the difference to where we end up. It should now be a main priority as we have covered most other aspects of the game pretty well.IMO.

Corners, We suck at them. it's now getting monotonous. Please can someone else take them and can we vary it from always going near post and more often than not hitting the first man. A good corner coach could easily get us an extra 5 goals a season IMO. That could make all the difference to where we end up. It should now be a main priority as we have covered most other aspects of the game pretty well.IMO.

Unless you have a superb header of the ball most high balls are 50/50 at best, we try the near post ball as it has provided us with the most success at corner with Toby coming in front the far post area. Throwing a long high ball to the far post would not suit the type of players we have, perhaps the "Teddy Sheringham" corner might have some success as a change but it something that can only be used once or twice unless you're playing idiots.

Could not agree more, that was the biggest one sided game we have had this season we dominated the game . I said in the thread earlier that we had to get a early goal because Boro have the 4th best defensive record in the Prem, we failed to do so but they defended well, we were not clinical enough and their keeper is a good one.

Agreed but in fairness their keeper should've had his marching papers inside 20 mins!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Valdes got off with no punishment for the Alli thing

Was it even mentioned by anyone at the end of the game? The Norwegian commentators and studio pundits didn't mention it at all. If it was the other way around, I imagine Alli getting a lot of stick for it.

Fwiw...

@Squawka
Most goals from corners in the Premier League this season:
10: West Brom
9:
8: West Ham
7: Crystal Palace
6: Liverpool
5: Chelsea, Arsenal, Burnley, Swansea, Hull
4: Everton, Southampton, Watford, Stoke, Bournemouth
3: Man Utd, Boro
2: Spurs, Emirates Marketing Project, Leicester
1:
0: Sunderland

Last season we apparently scored 10 goals from corners, which was the 2nd most in the league; behind only Crystal Palace on 11.

In Pochettino's first season we scored 6, compared to 10 for champions Chelsea and 14 by WBA.

I noticed this too. Meanwhile Sissoko mistakenly elbowed Arter. Despite both players saying it was nothing. The FA slammed the book on Moussa. This league is becoming increasingly inconsistent in its officiating. From the Taylor horror karate kick on Walker's face to Rodwell's attempt at Anglo-te-do on Dembele.
I have to say mate that the FA got that right. sissoko's elbow was dangerous and deserved a red. Valdes' push on Alli's head would not hurt any one other than a sissy.. Yellow at worse imho.

I have to say mate that the FA got that right. sissoko's elbow was dangerous and deserved a red. Valdes' push on Alli's head would not hurt any one other than a sissy.. Yellow at worse imho.
Couldn't disagree more, you don't get cards based on how much you think you hurt someone - its about your actions and intent. Valdes put his hands in Alli's face TWICE once alone was enough for a red....

Couldn't disagree more, you don't get cards based on how much you think you hurt someone - its about your actions and intent. Valdes put his hands in Alli's face TWICE once alone was enough for a red....
Football is a contact sport. Unless the action is dangerous (intent is irrelevant as it cannot be easily proved) players should remain on the pitch . Otherwise you will be sending off players after every tussle. It should be a yellow as it is not acceptable conduct but never a sending off. Unlike Rodwell's assault on Dembele which was a red all day long. Just my opinion of course.

Football is a contact sport. Unless the action is dangerous (intent is irrelevant as it cannot be easily proved) players should remain on the pitch . Otherwise you will be sending off players after every tussle. It should be a yellow as it is not acceptable conduct but never a sending off. Unlike Rodwell's assault on Dembele which was a red all day long. Just my opinion of course.
Well no because not every 'tussle' involves a player pushing another players' face. Rules are rules and by the laws of the game he should have got sent off, especially weird as Alli hadn't even done anything to provoke such a reaction....

Well no because not every 'tussle' involves a player pushing another players' face. Rules are rules and by the laws of the game he should have got sent off, especially weird as Alli hadn't even done anything to provoke such a reaction....
It's down to interpretation some referees will send off others will not. I tend to support the latter.

Tend to agree with you on this, Valdes should have been booked but ( imo) a sending off would have been harsh.

Fwiw...

@Squawka
Most goals from corners in the Premier League this season:
10: West Brom
9:
8: West Ham
7: Crystal Palace
6: Liverpool
5: Chelsea, Arsenal, Burnley, Swansea, Hull
4: Everton, Southampton, Watford, Stoke, Bournemouth
3: Man Utd, Boro
2: Spurs, Emirates Marketing Project, Leicester
1:
0: Sunderland

Last season we apparently scored 10 goals from corners, which was the 2nd most in the league; behind only Crystal Palace on 11.

In Pochettino's first season we scored 6, compared to 10 for champions Chelsea and 14 by WBA.

Thanks. And I would venture a guess that we probably get twice as many corners than West Brom, West Ham and Palace. Thus, our corner conversion rate must be the lowest in the PL.

In addition, you can't tell me that Toby, Verts, Dier, Alli, Kane aren't among the best headers of a ball as any group in the league.

Thanks. And I would venture a guess that we probably get twice as many corners than West Brom, West Ham and Palace. Thus, our corner conversion rate must be the lowest in the PL.

In addition, you can't tell me that Toby, Verts, Dier, Alli, Kane aren't among the best headers of a ball as any group in the league.
According to http://www.footcharts.co.uk/index.cfm?task=basics_corners

We've been awarded the 2nd most corners in the league at 169 (1.18% conversion rate), with Emirates Marketing Project on 172 (1.16%). West Brom have had 89 (11.2% conversion rate), Pullis clearly has the Midas touch when it comes to corners.

Eriksen has taken 112 of our corners, Son 28, Lamela 19, Rose 7, Alli 2, Sissoko 1. Although it doesn't list which of those were converted.
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/corner_taken

According to http://www.footcharts.co.uk/index.cfm?task=basics_corners

We've been awarded the 2nd most corners in the league at 169 (1.18% conversion rate), with Emirates Marketing Project on 172 (1.16%). West Brom have had 89 (11.2% conversion rate), Pullis clearly has the Midas touch when it comes to corners.

Eriksen has taken 112 of our corners, Son 28, Lamela 19, Rose 7, Alli 2, Sissoko 1. Although it doesn't list which of those were converted.
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/corner_taken

Brilliant stuff SteveAWOL, as usual. Conclusion, we have got the second most corners this season and scored the second least goals. If that doesn't highlight a problem issue, I don't know what does!

A better punishmen
Brilliant stuff SteveAWOL, as usual. Conclusion, we have got the second most corners this season and scored the second least goals. If that doesn't highlight a problem issue, I don't know what does!
Yep, we need to study how the Brummies do it.

I think Lamela is our best corner taker. Maybe if he'd played more games, our stats would look better.
Yup, probably no coincidence that we scored 5x as many goals from corners last season; when Lamela took almost half of them (99 to Eriksen's 126).

Back