• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Asteras Tripolis, Thurs 6th Nov 2014 ***

No but If I had the choice I would say fdb was more qualified. What I did want was an experienced manager, and by that I dont mean guys in their early 40's who have only managed a few seasons.

What is obsession with us (and others) all wanting "the next bright young manager". These guys are usually suave with exotic names and who look good in a suit. We dont want managers like Redknapp or Jol because they dont fit the bill, no matter what they achieve.

I just think that its no coincidence that the greatest times in our recent history was with a man with 30 years experience and who knew the english game inside out and back to front. Im not saying it has to be someone in their 60's with the same criteria but at the same time im tired of our club being a "training course" for inexperienced managers to learn and cut their cloth. Thats not what we need at the moment. The job here is huge and it needs someone capable to get it right.

Jol was probably the most popular Spurs manager i can ever remember, so that's *******s.

No but If I had the choice I would say fdb was more qualified. What I did want was an experienced manager, and by that I dont mean guys in their early 40's who have only managed a few seasons.

What is obsession with us (and others) all wanting "the next bright young manager". These guys are usually suave with exotic names and who look good in a suit. We dont want managers like Redknapp or Jol because they dont fit the bill, no matter what they achieve.

I just think that its no coincidence that the greatest times in our recent history was with a man with 30 years experience and who knew the english game inside out and back to front. Im not saying it has to be someone in their 60's with the same criteria but at the same time im tired of our club being a "training course" for inexperienced managers to learn and cut their cloth. Thats not what we need at the moment. The job here is huge and it needs someone capable to get it right.

I agree

- We have a very young (with exception of about 5 players) squad, a lot with very little PL experience

To me, we needed

- An experienced player in the spine of team (Naybet/Davids type)

Poch should also consider hiring an experienced English number 2 on his team

People who continue to think we are going to do a player clear out for Poch are being completely naïve. Poch needs to improve the quality of play against cup opponents and the results against PL opponents, failure will put him not the players on trial.

At this moment in Time, Poch is trying to do exactly the same thing as Redknapp was back in 2008, yet, because we finished 6th last year (only 2 places above Redknapp in his first season) he's being put under pressure already to have the team seriously performing.

To me that is unfair at this moment in time. He should absollutely be given a seasons grace.

Yeah. Building teams is cyclical - they rise, fall and are rebuilt. We are at the same point now that we were in 2004 and 2008 (with an aborted reboot in 2012).

Successively though we've started from higher starting places, so hopefully the height of this next team should top what the 2004-8 and 2008-12 teams did. It's Charles Handy's sigmoid curves for any management theorists.

In most professions people reach their peak in their 40s. It's when experience/learning is still happening rapidly but ambition/energy/vision haven't started to go into decline. In many industries people in their 60s become less hands on and step back to more advisory roles. The same happens in football (when coaches become DoFs or international managers).

Redknapp had had enough of the training ground in 2001 when he became a DoF. By most accounts he delegated all the hands-on work after then (which is a perfectly valid approach; Ferguson did exactly the same).

I agree

- We have a very young (with exception of about 5 players) squad, a lot with very little PL experience

To me, we needed

- An experienced player in the spine of team (Naybet/Davids type)

Poch should also consider hiring an experienced English number 2 on his team

Can Poch's (intended) high tempo game carry a player in their 30s?

Remember in Lloris, Soldado, Fazio and Ade in particular we already have players with plenty of experience in top leagues/big competitions, even if the majority of our squad is young.

English coaches are notoriously poor and have been since the Robson/Venables/Hodgson generation of the late 80s - mid 90s.

Adkins, McDermott and Howe are about the only English coaches I rate at the moment.

I'm pretty confident Poch would walk if he had a Levy stooge imposed on him. Look how he insisted Freund be moved away from the senior setup because he wasn't his man. Or remember the lessons of Sherwood undermining AVB from the fringes of the camp.

When games are going away from us, I would love to see us get two banks of 4 (or 4 and 5) in a straight line - and shore up the game.

When we were 2-0 up and rocking, we didn't change the way we play, we keep pressing high, the ball kept gets past the press, and the defence were exposed. But first half we played well. Second half we went out to score more goals...just when it didn't work...Poch tried to switch it up with Mason in the middle, but we were unable to grab control back.

Fair enough.

Just seem to find that it's mostly those who wanted Fdb in charge that are abusing Poch and wanting him gone, you know the fans, the ones who want us to lose just to prove "a point" he was the wrong appointment.

Fair enough.

Just seem to find that it's mostly those who wanted Fdb in charge that are abusing Poch and wanting him gone, you know the fans, the ones who want us to lose just to prove "a point" he was the wrong appointment.

Agreed. I would never want us to lose and I hope Poch turns things around. Im not convinced at the moment but im happy for him to prove me wrong. Im concerned im not realy seeing any signs of Poch's ability at the moment but hopefully tomorrows game can change that.

Fair enough.

I will admit I was one of those who wanted FbB as our Manager and was not overwhelmed by the Pochettino appointment, but believe me it gives me no pleasure seeing us lose any game right now and I was going mental as anyone else when that goal went in at Villa last weekend

Fair enough.

I think that it is a bit unfair to tar all those who wanted De Boer with the same brush. There may be some fans as you describe, but I bet 99% of those that wanted a different manager are behind the current one and the team. I would also say that being critical of the current manager does not equate to 'wanting him gone'. In fact it is more akin to wanting him to succeed, do you not think?

Good point, the answer isn't to swap managers (or the chair), just for them to do their jobs a bit better.

No one is immune from criticism, people seem to think we only have one problem at the minute and the blame should all flow in one direction when that clearly isn't the case.

Poch has made some strange decisions, but he's not got a great squad to work with, Baldini has signed some questionable players, but we have a lot of players who were here before under performing as well, Levy has made some bad decisions on both sides of the ball but we don't seem to have any real money to play with.

When things were going well (under Harry and AVB's first season) everyone at the club was performing to their absolute best and all moving in the same direction. We need a focus to our efforts and to remove any distractions (or distractors). This starts at the top, Levy needs to commit to a project and let it play out.

Never thought we would struggle to win this match. After the way we beat Asteras comfortably at home, thought we will win easily again. We did look comfortable in the first half, leading 2-0. But we didn't turn up for the second half and were fortunate to win this match. Asteras had many chances which they could have scored from. Fortunately for us, they wasted them all apart from the penalty.

Credit to Townsend and Kane for the goals. Thought it was a soft penalty decision but Townsend did well to score. But didn't like it when Townsend wanted to take the penalty. It was too risky as Townsend rarely scores for us. Fortunately Townsend didn't waste it. Nice to see Kane continuing his goal run. Still have some doubts about him but to score 10 goals in 14 matches in all competitions is a great record. But he also wasted a sitter in the second half even if that was offside.

Disappointed Lamela didn't many any impact unlike the match at home. Was hoping he would atleast create a few chances but didn't. Similiarly disappointed to see Eriksen having another poor game. Good to see Vertonghen appointed as captain. But disappointingly our defence were poor again. It was a poor penalty to give away so late in the game. Fazio seems like will get many red cards this season.

Despite the performance, it was great to continue our winning run. Hope we can continue winning in our next match against Stoke.

Back