• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Asteras Tripolis, Thurs 6th Nov 2014 ***

I only watched the second half.

Good GHod, what has happened to both our defence and the defensive midfield cover in front of them?? Were we this pourous in the first half??

Good GHod, what has happened to both our defence and the defensive midfield cover in front of them?? Were we this pourous in the first half??

We were better in the first half but still a bit average

Both Dembele and Stambouli seemed to get forward a lot. We need to put some safety measures in place as our CBs can't be trusted 1v1. If one FB goes forward, the other one should probably hold off doing the same. One CM has to drop back to cover.

Both Dembele and Stambouli seemed to get forward a lot. We need to put some safety measures in place as our CBs can't be trusted 1v1. If one FB goes forward, the other one should probably hold off doing the same. One CM has to drop back to cover.

I agree. I find it hard to understand calls for either to get a chance in the PL team until they are tested against better opposition.

How are they going to get tested against better oppo unless they start in the league?! Dembele is tested and proven, he's been hit and miss for a year to be fair, but he and sandro were excellent together in the prem.

I only saw the second half as well, looked like a shambles to be honest.

I disagree. Dembele and Stambouli bossed the first half and while we had a lot of possession we really didn't create much. In the second hf they went walkabout. Did Poch tell them to play differently after half time? It's the only explanation I can come up with. They offered zero protection in the second half . Why ?

Wow! You really were unlucky there. It was a bit chalk and cheese tbf.

I thought we looked really good in the first half, even Townsend played with his head (although he could've had a couple more assists if he'd passed instead of shooting). Kane needs to watch the offside trap, because he was nearing Defore territory in the first half for offsides. The centre backs and deep two in midfield played the ball out from the back very well and this actually saw us moving out from the back with some purpose. Davies looked comfortable too and got forward really well. Eriksen was trying to lead the press at times but not getting support from Lamela, Townsend and Dembele which is a worry.

Second half was aweful. A lot of poor communication between Dembele and Stambouli saw them both challenging the same player and leaving space in behind which was exploited often. Soldado for Lamela was a poor move as Kane didn't seem to be as useful in the deep role as Eriksen was, whilst Eriksen wasn't as useful covering the fullback as Lamela was. Our defensive shape just didn't seem to hold. The penalty was reminiscent of one we didn't get when Kane got knocked over at the Lane this year. People said he slowed down and moved infront of the man thus playing for it. Was this one tonight any different?

Special mention for Stambouli. I thought he did really well at firing the ball forward into the feet of Kane, Eriksen, Lamela and Townsend. We looked our most dangerous when he got the ball forward to the player in the #10 area, a shame that the front 4 didn't make anything of it.

I think people just have to accept that we have gone backwards. We've wasted a large amount of the Bale money and it will set us back years. 6th would be a very, very good achivement.

Its just so sad. We have regressed to pure dross. Awful players, very questionable manager, no excitment, no sense of hope, boring football, money ****ed away on rubbish, a new stadium which feels like it will never be built, and to top it all off Hugo, our best player will be off in the summer so the cycle of crap can continue yet again.

Its just so sad. We have regressed to pure dross. Awful players, very questionable manager, no excitment, no sense of hope, boring football, money ****ed away on rubbish, a new stadium which feels like it will never be built, and to top it all off Hugo, our best player will be off in the summer so the cycle of crap can continue yet again.

Don't be so pessimistic, Hugo might leave in January.

I thought we looked really good in the first half, even Townsend played with his head (although he could've had a couple more assists if he'd passed instead of shooting). Kane needs to watch the offside trap, because he was nearing Defore territory in the first half for offsides. The centre backs and deep two in midfield played the ball out from the back very well and this actually saw us moving out from the back with some purpose. Davies looked comfortable too and got forward really well. Eriksen was trying to lead the press at times but not getting support from Lamela, Townsend and Dembele which is a worry.

Second half was aweful. A lot of poor communication between Dembele and Stambouli saw them both challenging the same player and leaving space in behind which was exploited often. Soldado for Lamela was a poor move as Kane didn't seem to be as useful in the deep role as Eriksen was, whilst Eriksen wasn't as useful covering the fullback as Lamela was. Our defensive shape just didn't seem to hold. The penalty was reminiscent of one we didn't get when Kane got knocked over at the Lane this year. People said he slowed down and moved infront of the man thus playing for it. Was this one tonight any different?

Special mention for Stambouli. I thought he did really well at firing the ball forward into the feet of Kane, Eriksen, Lamela and Townsend. We looked our most dangerous when he got the ball forward to the player in the #10 area, a shame that the front 4 didn't make anything of it.

Watching this it makes me feel that the players don't enjoy Poch's methods and are mentally shackled, only capable of playing it safe and predictable, or something desperate.

No instinct, no gut feel, and above all no confidence as a team. Players or poch? Something will have to give.

Ok rant over.

Watching this it makes me feel that the players don't enjoy Poch's methods and are mentally shackled, only capable of playing it safe and predictable, or something desperate.

No instinct, no gut feel, and above all no confidence as a team. Players or poch? Something will have to give.

Ok rant over.

Players.

I wouldn't say we bossed the midfield in the first half, at 0-0 they seemed quite content for us to have it and play on the break

I agree, but I hope what we see is not Poch's best strategy, tactics and player selection.

If we hated avb for his football how is this any different? Frail at the back, clueless in attack, players looking way past their best...

I agree, but I hope what we see is not Poch's best strategy, tactics and player selection.

If we hated avb for his football how is this any different? Frail at the back, clueless in attack, players looking way past their best...

what does that tell you? the players arent good enough or willing to adapt. We look arguably the same as we did under AVB, a manager also wanting to implement something yet not given the players to fulfill his system and style.

Just wish Poch could start with a clean slate.

I wouldn't say we bossed the midfield in the first half, at 0-0 they seemed quite content for us to have it and play on the break

I agree. It wasn't really Dembele/Stambouli offering protection, it was Asteras sitting back. Once we switched off and their shackles came off they cut right through us.

It doesn't surprise me how disjointed we were tonight given how little that team has played together? Does anyone know how much of the team Poch put out tonight has played together?

If Poch is as good as he needs to be he has to get these players able to slot in whenever needed. I'm sure Daniel Levy will be patient with him. :-k

Just watching the 2nd half now and it's not quite the car crash I thought it would be after (inadvisedly) reading the match thread beforehand. In fact we had loads of shots that were poorly executed or blocked, as did they to be fair. We got into some great situations around their box and squandered them through overplaying the ball or sloppiness.

What struck me is how susceptible we are to the long ball. It either sets us immediately into panic mode or our defensive headers always seem to land at the feet of the opposition. Gotta do better with that.

The whole double pivot thing with Stambouli and Dembele worked pretty well for the first half. The problems defensively don't stem from there IMO. Moving to a 3 in the middle didn't work that well. It could work but Mason needs to be the the top of a Stambouli- Dembele triangle. We played a flat 3 which seemed to be too far from the backline all the time.

The full backs were not great, both of them, but once again they were pretty exposed. Fazio and Verts were pretty ropey also.

The pitch was ****e too which didn't help. Townsend and Dembele the pick of our lot.

Last edited:
Back