• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Spurs v United

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sherwood is right....there's no way the fans in the stadium would've accepted that 10-men-behind-the-ball dross we saw today.

This is exactly why I can’t get excited about Spurs as long as Mourinho is in charge. We clearly have players to hurt this Man U team and we are sitting back for the whole game playing on a counter. Bergwijn playing as a full back, Kane a deep lying midfielder at times etc.
If we were winning games playing this style fine, but we are not and nothing is changing.

It is pretty uninspiring isnt it? I actually forgot this morning that we had a game today...I'd never usually do that.

We're crap to watch....though I'm fighting the urge to slate Mourinho given that every manager needs some time

One point, not a bad result in isolation, but probably not good enough in the situation we're in.

I was quite happy with the first half. Man Utd had most of the ball, but we contained them well. It looked like we have definitely done some good work on our defensive shape during the break. Going forward we looked threatening at times and had some good attacks. If we had gone two up with Son or Sanchez, maybe we could have hung on.

I am worried that we looked completely empty after 60 minutes. Have we done enough fitness work during the break? They definitely looked fitter than us in the second half. Or maybe we just became too defensive being one goal up. I am not sure Mourinho made the correct subs either. Bergwijn and Lamela didn't look like our most tired players.

As for individuals, Lloris' save on Martial was top class. Aurier was a mixed bag as usual. Sanchez was okay, made a mistake for their chance in the first half, but made an important interception late on. Dier was top class I thought, but that one mistake cost us. I thought it was never a penalty, a bit of contact, yes, but not enough to give a penalty. It was a dive by Pogba for me. He got past him too easily in the first place though. Davies was defensively solid throughout. Sissoko did some good defensive work and Winks looked sharp in the first half at least. Lamela was very lively and did some good stuff, but as usual he is a bit sloppy at times with the final pass and makes the wrong decision at times. Bergwijn was also sharp in the first half. Son and Kane looked unfit and off the pace, which is a worry considering they're our most important players.

Overall, some positive signs, but probably not the result we needed if we are going to save our season.

There’s still the hope that 5th is CL.

In that respect not losing today could be important.

Agree with all of that but I’d caveat the penalty with Dier being tired and also it being “won”
I actually thought he was MOTM
Good post.

I agree with a lot of it but I would keep Dier. Solid CB, capable CM if needed, vocal, and apart from the bad error it was a good performance against a dangerous attack. He’ll have much easier games.

Fair enough to you both - I'm just a bit put out by being so close to a victory and then shooting ourselves in the foot.

The other thing that I think we need is a good set-piece taker - United's free-kicks and corners were bloody dangerous, while ours were about the same as they were when Eriksen was busy trying to clobber it into the first man all the time.

Dunno who we can get to resolve that, but I feel like it would make the difference in scrappy games like today's.

Keane and Evra made a great point on Winks there. He’s hung Dier out to dry for the pen there. Really poor. He wasn’t even covering anyone because Gedson had the player closest to Winks.
And not for the first! He's been standing watching soooo many times in similar situations. We desperately need someone better than him in that position.

Cant believe the Man United bias on the game On Sky tonight. With Evra and Keane in the studio and Neville on commentary not surprisingly there only seemed to be one team playing. Nothing about the Bergwyn quality for the goal at half time and then a Pogba and Fernandes fest at the end of the game, Hard to believe we were playing!

This is exactly why I can’t get excited about Spurs as long as Mourinho is in charge. We clearly have players to hurt this Man U team and we are sitting back for the whole game playing on a counter. Bergwijn playing as a full back, Kane a deep lying midfielder at times etc.
If we were winning games playing this style fine, but we are not and nothing is changing.

I hear you. We play a lot of the game in our half. Whereas under Poch we'd do everything to play in theirs. Now opposition teams play how we used to, closing us down and we end up with the majority of the play in the 'wrong' half.

That said, we were a soft pen away from winning that.

We all know that trophies are never won with a weak defense. We need that bedrock.

The disappointment for me today was second half, you could see the tide turning. And you could see us failing to attack with any precision. Spaces were opening, but we were not making the most of it. Once they equalised, we were determined again, focused. We need to have that determination and focus when 1-0 up, and put the game to bed.

It is still progress though, and if Mourinho can keep improving the defensive base, BUT ALSO get us transiting into an effective attacking shape, then we will have something.

Sat back trying to play counter attack at home again.
But "Mourinho is a winner and will win a trophy"
We haven't a chance of getting 5th.
7th would be an achievement at this rate.

And no there wont be any big rebuild in the summer.
Remember Mourinho said all he needed was a pre season with these players.
He is full of it and will hang the club and players out to dry in the end.

Sherwood is right....there's no way the fans in the stadium would've accepted that 10-men-behind-the-ball dross we saw today.

Alluded you it earlier, that’s what we have have under Mourinho.

Concede huge levels of possession at home and don’t even play on the break.

TBH I have some sympathy for Jose but it’s pretty much near to zero

And not for the first! He's been standing watching soooo many times in similar situations. We desperately need someone better than him in that position.

Yeah there’s been a few games like that. I think in the Munich game he made a couple of similar mistakes. He isn’t aware defensively. Nice tidy passer which can be useful but weak in many other areas of his game.

Dier was good until the penalty, but plenty will get mugged by Pogba's skills in the box.

Sissoko was an absolute BEAST. I'm sorry, don't tell me Kane is unfit or has been injured because so has Sissoko and he was immense today. Kane and Son were poor. Lack of service? Maybe, we didn't create much. Will Alli and Lo Celso starting next game remediate that? Maybe, but ultimately i'm not seeing anything under Jose that makes me excited.

Back