• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT ***Spurs v Spammers***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
5 at the back tonight then ;)
Tomorrow night.

In the press conference, when queried about only making 2 subs, he bemoaned the lack of attacking options...
He said Moura was not available so he could not "directly" replace Bergwijn.
He said the back 4 were solid and doing well, and that Winks/Sissoko were doing great, so he didn't change it.

That is just silly, they needed help, why not bring in Toby to make it a back 5 and give the others less work to do? Toby would have been steaming in to clear up Dier's mess when Pogba got round him.

Or Jan? Or Sessegnon to make it a back 5 / or even attacking, to stretch them.

Or another midfielder Skipp or Ndom? They got the pen after 80 minutes so we could probably have shut the whole game down if we were more pragmatic, that is what Jose is famous for.

If Kane is just walking about, bring on someone that can run in ANY position, we should not carry a 'walker'.

And if you have so few strikers, why start all 4 of them?! We could easily have made a formation with a striker on the bench, to come on later. That would have been pragmatic management.

Looking at our midfield/attack we have 9 first teamers for 6 spots... we started with option 1 which is not TERRIBLE but with Alli/Moura out it gave us zero bench attacking options, which is dumb when it is the first game back.

Here are some other "6 from 9 players" formations. Without a DM I'm shoving Winks there.
Maybe West Ham will see something more penetrative like Option 2.
Maybe if we want to sit deep and use pace to break we should use option 4? Subs are in brackets.

1..Sissoko.Winks
......Lamela............(GLC Ndom)
Bergw Kane Son........(Moura Alli)

2....Winks...............(Sissoko)
...GLC Alli..............(Ndom)
Bergw Kane Son.......(Lamela Moura)

3....Winks...............(Sissoko)
..GLC Alli Ndom .......(Lamela)
....Kane Son............(Bergw Moura)

4.Sissoko.Winks
...GLC Ndom............(Alli)
...Bergw Son............(Lamela Moura Kane)

Tomorrow night.

In the press conference, when queried about only making 2 subs, he bemoaned the lack of attacking options...
He said Moura was not available so he could not "directly" replace Bergwijn.
He said the back 4 were solid and doing well, and that Winks/Sissoko were doing great, so he didn't change it.

That is just silly, they needed help, why not bring in Toby to make it a back 5 and give the others less work to do? Toby would have been steaming in to clear up Dier's mess when Pogba got round him.

Or Jan? Or Sessegnon to make it a back 5 / or even attacking, to stretch them.

Or another midfielder Skipp or Ndom? They got the pen after 80 minutes so we could probably have shut the whole game down if we were more pragmatic, that is what Jose is famous for.

If Kane is just walking about, bring on someone that can run in ANY position, we should not carry a 'walker'.

And if you have so few strikers, why start all 4 of them?! We could easily have made a formation with a striker on the bench, to come on later. That would have been pragmatic management.

Looking at our midfield/attack we have 9 first teamers for 6 spots... we started with option 1 which is not TERRIBLE but with Alli/Moura out it gave us zero bench attacking options, which is dumb when it is the first game back.

Here are some other "6 from 9 players" formations. Without a DM I'm shoving Winks there.
Maybe West Ham will see something more penetrative like Option 2.
Maybe if we want to sit deep and use pace to break we should use option 4? Subs are in brackets.

1..Sissoko.Winks
......Lamela............(GLC Ndom)
Bergw Kane Son........(Moura Alli)

2....Winks...............(Sissoko)
...GLC Alli..............(Ndom)
Bergw Kane Son.......(Lamela Moura)

3....Winks...............(Sissoko)
..GLC Alli Ndom .......(Lamela)
....Kane Son............(Bergw Moura)

4.Sissoko.Winks
...GLC Ndom............(Alli)
...Bergw Son............(Lamela Moura Kane)

yep, sorry, in my head it's MNF

as for the subs, it's not as simple as that, if we change shape, United can change shape, Kane had a shocker but United stuck with 2 CB's just in case, if he goes off they could switch to a three and have a man over elsewhere

United can change shape, Kane had a shocker but United stuck with 2 CB's just in case, if he goes off they could switch to a three and have a man over elsewhere
Kane was in their pocket - we could have put some pace up top and really given them something to worry about i.e. Bergwijn / Son / Sess / anyone not walking.

Kane was in their pocket - we could have put some pace up top and really given them something to worry about i.e. Bergwijn / Son / Sess / anyone not walking.

I’m not saying there were not options, just that changes are made with two viewpoints, what does this give us, what does it open up for them.

Toby for Kane or Skipp for Kane would have been quite the shape change.

Its a fair point, but with Kane you keep him on given his finishing and the hope that we do get just one chance.

Would could have moved him into the no 10 role for 15 mins with Son up top

Tomorrow, for the first time since JM took over, he will have all 6 attackers available to him for selection. Let's see what he does and how he utilises a full pack.
I predict he'll have us sit back and sit back and sit back. Must win.

yep, sorry, in my head it's MNF

as for the subs, it's not as simple as that, if we change shape, United can change shape, Kane had a shocker but United stuck with 2 CB's just in case, if he goes off they could switch to a three and have a man over elsewhere

Equally we could've put Sonny uptop For thr last 20 and had a box-to-box Ndombele breaking the lines.

The same dele that gets stick for not passing and trying to many tricks and flicks.

Not I that disagree with you, but there's an element of frustration with players that don't pass the ball quickly, even when there's no one to pass to, and with harry lumbering around in no man's land and son and moura/Stevie covering the FBs its difficult to see who these guys are supposed to be passing to.

Dele, in behind and around Kane, is brilliant. Those flicks and touches are everything. We need him. Big-time.

Dele, in behind and around Kane, is brilliant. Those flicks and touches are everything. We need him. Big-time.

Isn’t that just wanting 2016 back, though? There’s no guarantee it will work this time round with neither of them what they were, in a timid, counter-attacking side.

I predict he'll have us sit back and sit back and sit back

I know - depressing isnt it? I hope we dont sit back - it'll be soul destroying to play at home to West Ham and have 40% possession.

There was a definite reason to defend deep vs Man U given their pace up front, but against these jokers we should be defending a much higher line (centre cicle or 5 yards behind it) and compresses them back. We have enough threats via GLC, Son, Bergwijn etc that we should look to dominate them

I know - depressing isnt it? I hope we dont sit back - it'll be soul destroying to play at home to West Ham and have 40% possession.

There was a definite reason to defend deep vs Man U given their pace up front, but against these jokers we should be defending a much higher line (centre cicle or 5 yards behind it) and compresses them back. We have enough threats via GLC, Son, Bergwijn etc that we should look to dominate them

Agreed. People seem to forget that in his first few games ( i.e. The ones with fewer injuries) he attacked and gambled with relish. We were scoring loads of goals - Burnley 5, Spammers, Wolves and Bournemouth 3 and 3 in Europe too iirc.

Dele was re-energised in his correct position and his brother had seemingly disappeared. It was only when he was asked to play different roles following the injuries and suspensions that we saw his brother's unfortunate re-appearance. With Kane and Son back, we can revert to the fab three up front with Bergy and Moura supporting - probably at least one from the bench.

More of the same please - only with a more organised defence.

Ndombele and Lo Celso to start, please, that's all I ask.

The challenge of starting Ndombele, Lo Celso AND Dele is which positions they take up.

Every combination means one of the 3 is out of position IMO.

This is prob the best, but relies on Ndombele:

Kane
x Dele GLC
Sissoko Ndombele

This would be my choice, but does that mess up Son? Leave Kane too isolated?

Kane
Dele Ndombele. x
Sissoko GLC

-
Still hope they all start though.

The challenge of starting Ndombele, Lo Celso AND Dele is which positions they take up.

Every combination means one of the 3 is out of position IMO.

This is prob the best, but relies on Ndombele:

Kane
x Dele GLC
Sissoko Ndombele

This would be my choice, but does that mess up Son? Leave Kane too isolated?

Kane
Dele Ndombele. x
Sissoko GLC

-
Still hope they all start though.

I'd be surprised if Ndombele starts. I don't think that he's done enough under Mourinho to justify a starting position.

I'd be surprised if Ndombele starts. I don't think that he's done enough under Mourinho to justify a starting position.

I think Mourinho will try and keep some consistency. Hopefully he can come on around the hour mark.

Even though we now have a slight break before the next game we've just started back up again and games will be coming in quick succession. Need to be careful with players like GLC to avoid them missing the rest of the season. Hoping he's ready for a starting role today, his impact is very much missed when not playing.

Will be interesting to see if Alderweireld comes back in or not, if he was simply left out to give us more pace vs. United or if we're seeing a bigger change.

Would be surprised, though pleasantly surprised to see Ndombele in the starting lineup. Mourinho made quite the statement by not bringing him on against United, would be a rapid change to see him start tonight.

Hope to see a fairly attacking, pressing and intense approach with most of our players back and our lack of match fitness matched by every other team around.

Back