• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Manure***

On 80 mins even though momentum was with us I had a feeling Utd would score again. Why? Because we are still soft (what’s new). We give the ball away and cough up chances so cheaply. Limited ability to control a game, we’ve improved a bit in that regard since Bentancur arrived but still nowhere near good enough.

Neither Bentancur nor Hojbjerg are 'sitters, though. This is the mistake that people make with the pair of them - their entire career, people have assumed they screen the defence, which isn't true.

Ruben Neves is a 'sitter'. Matic is a 'sitter'. Players that sit deep, fill gaps, cover shots, get out to their men.

Bentancur and Hojbjerg are both Khedira-esque ball winners, best closing high and winning balls all over the field. They are good tacklers - they are not good positionally, because their best role involves a free roaming assignment to close down and tackle.

In the peak Madrid team under Mourinho, in a midfield duo of Alonso and Khedira, Alonso was the screen, not Khedira. Khedira rampaged up field winning it high and laying it off to Ozil/Ronaldo/Benzema et al. Alonso sat deep and screened the backline + played it forward from deep.

We lack that player. Winks is useless. Skipp, Bentancur and Hojbjerg are all functionally identical. A positionally disciplined 'sitting' midfielder? We've lacked one since..well, actually, probably since Huddlestone.

Parker, Sandro, Palacios, Wanyama, Dembele, Sissoko, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Bentancur...all best as free-roaming destroyers. Not sitters.

And every top team has a sitter. Rodri, Matic, Xhaka + Partey, Jorginho, Fabinho et al. Even Spam have Rice who can even drop in as CB when needed.
Skipp is fine when sitting, he reads the game very well and has good positional sense. The balance has always been better when we have Skipp in there because he has the discipline to sit unlike the rest.

I think we were blown away by his (apparent) speed and the fact he looked comfortable on the ball. We don’t ask for much!
No Reggie genuinely has a good measured cross off either foot. That ability seems to have deserted him in the last year or so but pre Spurs he has always had a good cross on him as well as initially at Spurs before his longish injury lay off.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Although Bentancur was at fault for a couple of the goals - one more directly than the other - I think he will learn a lot from tonight, and has the making of a very good midfielder.

His tackling style is to get close, niggle, and try and nick the ball, but he needs to learn when not be so keen and screen/drop off instead, rather than step in. If he had held off then Fred wouldn't have turned the ball round the corner to Pogba in space for the first, and Pogba wouldn't have got away from Bentancur to win the corner that led to the last.

What Bentancur does give us, though, which we have been missing for some time, is a player who sits in the space in the middle of the pitch, always wants the ball and, most importantly, is comfortable receiving it on the turn and shifts it quickly. He turns his body around the ball, rather than turning with the ball. It's a subtle thing, but makes a big difference. It might take a little while for him to adjust to the Premiership, but I'm sure he will prove a very good signing.

He's a very good player and looks a great signing, like Kulusevski, but he was poor tonight and poor against City. He obviously needs time to adapt.

He's a very good player and looks a great signing, like Kulusevski, but he was poor tonight and poor against City. He obviously needs time to adapt.
He just needs to pass quicker
He plays as though he has time which doesn’t exist
The guys gonna be very very good for us once he gets that
Thought Kulu looked good but I’d like to have seen him play wider like he did to win the pen

No Reggie genuinely has a good measured cross off either foot. That ability seems to have deserted him in the last year or so but pre Spurs he has always had a good cross on him as well as initially at Spurs before his longish injury lay off.

Didn't he get the most assists in La Liga the year before we signed him?

Doherty poor today. Hope we get a great RWB în the summer, I'm tired of having problems în that position. WBs are so important în Conte's style of play and we've got Doherty and Royal on the right. Reggie is the single good WB we have and we might even lose him in the summer as well. Are there better WB than Reggie out there? Sure, but I don't have ANY TRUST that Tottenham will get one. If he goes we would have the same problem for years on the left too.

I was also a keeper, anything I let in from outside the box was my fault and meant I was getting the first two rounds in after the game. It was like being beaten at the near post, inexcusable and unforgivable.
Yeah but you were facing pub class players who couldn’t get half the pace of the shot that Ronaldo got, let alone the movement away from the keeper.

He just needs to pass quicker
He plays as though he has time which doesn’t exist
The guys gonna be very very good for us once he gets that
Thought Kulu looked good but I’d like to have seen him play wider like he did to win the pen
Needs to get used to the quicker pace in the premier league, gets caught too often in possession, but he has the tools to be a great player.

Reguilon has good speed that helps our style of play on the counterattack and good stamina too, meaning he doesnt fall off în the last 15 minutes. Remember even today him having a run în extra time, to bad about the outcome.

Doherty poor today. Hope we get a great RWB în the summer, I'm tired of having problems în that position. WBs are so important în Conte's style of play and we've got Doherty and Royal on the right. Reggie is the single good WB we have and we might even lose him in the summer as well. Are there better WB than Reggie out there? Sure, but I don't have ANY TRUST that Tottenham will get one. If he goes we would have the same problem for years on the left too.
There's plenty out there. Unlikely to be able to get him but I'd love to get Cucurella off Brighton, been really impressed with him.

I thought Doherty played well today.

Yeah but you were facing pub class players who couldn’t get half the pace of the shot that Ronaldo got, let alone the movement away from the keeper.

Yes, but I was pub class too, its all relative, Hugo should react faster than I do to the same degree that Ronaldo kicks the ball harder.

He lost a lot of balls and couldn't make 2 meters passes. He was next to Ronaldo at the corner for 3-2. Him and Bentancur were the worst players today, followed by probably Sonny.
Harsh trying to blame him for the 3rd goal. Romero lost him, he made an effort to impede Ronaldo, but it's a total mismatch. It was a fudge up that left only him competing with Ronaldo in the air.

There's plenty out there. Unlikely to be able to get him but I'd love to get Cucurella off Brighton, been really impressed with him.
Didnt watch Brighton all that much to have a discussion on him. I know he is relatively young(23) and Spanish. Reggie is 25 and at Cucurella's age, played for teams în Spain that Cucurella only dreams of playing(Real and Sevilla) and with good results. Again I've only watched a couple of his games this season, he might become great, all I'm saying is we have plenty of other positions to improve on before LWB.

Back