• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Brighton & Hove Albion

Easier said that done for a manager

But we know what Davies//Dier are as a pairing, Phillips/Dorrington may not work, but at least it's not the same old guard making mistakes.

If it doesn't work, Dier can always come on.
And one of the key ethos' for this season is building and being brave.
Dier isn't here past the summer. Is Dorrington or Philips the future? One way to find out if they are King or Tanganga.

Last edited:
We’ll see how the window pans out. Clearly we need a CB, and we were trying at the end of the last window. But you purchase new players for what is to come, not where you were.

Where we are now: we have two decent proven backup CBs (which we didn’t in the summer) plus Dier and Philips. Hopefully VDV and Romero return/stay fit and we don’t need to call on them. But if we do we know Davies and Royal are decent. Dier isn’t terrible either. They lack pace and height but are decent defenders. Royal and Davies have done very well playing CB because they are defenders first. Neither feels that comfortable attacking but excel defensively. A bit like Sherringham both use their brains to good effect which makes up for a lack of pace and physical dominance.

Where we are now: if any of Son, Johnson or Kulusevski got injured do you think we’d be okay? To keep going to the end of the season with these three pressing hard every game is a risk. We will get Maddison back and Richarlison is coming good. But for me, and I know no one else thinks so, we could do with one more striker; when we have 5 or 6 CBs. We only really have Richarlison as a true striker.
The problem is you're looking at from a perfect case scenario where we only ever have one of them out, but we've seen this season that isn't necessarily the case and right now we have both 1st choice CBs out.

So now we have the prospect of playing Davies and Royal next each other. They are not a solid or a good pairing. We have no depth at CB. Davies only looks decent when he has leadership in Romero next to him. Dier is not decent don't lie to yourself.

We absolutely need some depth of quality at CB, it is very possibly going to derail our season.

We do also need some depth at striker I agree though.

The problem is you're looking at from a perfect case scenario where we only ever have one of them out, but we've seen this season that isn't necessarily the case and right now we have both 1st choice CBs out.

So now we have the prospect of playing Davies and Royal next each other. They are not a solid or a good pairing. We have no depth at CB. Davies only looks decent when he has leadership in Romero next to him. Dier is not decent don't lie to yourself.

We absolutely need some depth of quality at CB, it is very possibly going to derail our season.

Romero, VDV, Ashley, Sess, Bentancur, Bissouma, Maddison, Perisic, Solomon, impossible to plan for that.

We do need to buy a CB and probably will, but reality is injuries and AFCON/Asia games have probably fudged us for this season

March might be the first time we really see full team ..

Okay I think that is more than enough excuse making about injuries and bans. Leave that to Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

We have a keeper and a striker both in good form. Everyone else can huff n puff.

Come on you Spurs.

Romero, VDV, Ashley, Sess, Bentancur, Bissouma, Maddison, Perisic, Solomon, impossible to plan for that.

We do need to buy a CB and probably will, but reality is injuries and AFCON/Asia games have probably fudged us for this season

While I'm not criticising the lack of depth I do think having a period where both 1st choice CBs would not be available is something to plan for and is somewhat predictable imo.

Beyond that I'm not criticising the lack of depth. It's a massive change in system and the personnel needed is different and will take some time to fully enact. We just need to continue the change over and continue the boldness.

Okay I think that is more than enough excuse making about injuries and bans. Leave that to Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

We have a keeper and a striker both in good form.
Everyone else can huff n puff.

Come on you Spurs.
Just as well seeing as our first choice central defence and midfield 3 are all out!
So weird that Ange has never been able to play all 5 of them in the same game yet.

Afcon / Asia Cup of nations can't be excuses. They aren't force majeures or black swan events.

For once, I'm with you on this.

This is one of those sliding doors football moments - put Phillips or Dorrington in, give them the opportunity to seize the day.
They'll have good experience and a settled three in Porro, Davies and Udogie to help them along.

Hopefully Ange will be brave.
As much as we'd like to think of this as a rebuilding year, the reality is that we're in a title race and we should treat it as such. So this is not the time to blood in the youngsters.

Afcon / Asia Cup of nations can't be excuses. They aren't force majeures or black swan events.

It's not, and we have a manager that respects the competitions (as vs. the WC/Euro only view)

That said, 8 players other than the ones going to those competitions being out isn't a reasonable assumption/risk scenario.

Realistic question, when last did Spurs have 5+ first teamers unavailable?

Dier/Davies/Royal are an accident waiting to happen

My view is if we can only sign 1 player we get a CB in, we can score goals, just not as many as we should we the chances

Those 3 at CB mean we have to score more.

Back