• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Everton vs Mighty Spurs

I did

Said it many times but Everton have sold their most influential player and replaced him with some real unproven players yet not one who did what he did... score goals and occupy defences

The result was about par for me as we're that good and far ahead of them

We should be joint top of the league IMO
So did I. I'll refer you to the opening post of this ghastly OMT. :p

Was it me, or was today's ref looking to make a name for himself. He seemed overly keen in making everyone know who he was etc. I might be wrong but he's not one of the regular refs from last year is he?

Yes coaches make mistakes in terms of a tactical substitution etc, they don't continuously pick a player who offers nothing which is what is being alluded to on this forum especially when we have other quality options. Sissoko wasn't picked by Poch for long periods last season, so now he's giving him more game time he obviously feels he's improved enough to earn the right to be in the team.....
Really?

Have you seen the England team over the last 10 years?

He played no worse than most other players today. I don't really get why he needs to play an exceptional game to escape the over the top criticism. Just fundamentally not fair or helpful.

Him getting a chant today probably made him feel happier, settled, comfortable at the club. We can help. And creating this weird negative atmosphere around him just isn't helpful. I get it, he wasn't great last season. When he came on against Monaco or Leverkusen he was absolutely GHod awful. But let's look at him objectively - he was good today and fitted in well with a team that also got a great result at a hard ground.
Because all the other players have shown that they have a much higher level, so an off game is forgivable.

There's nothing been shown to suggest that his top level is any higher than a poor to average game for the rest of our team.

Was it me, or was today's ref looking to make a name for himself. He seemed overly keen in making everyone know who he was etc. I might be wrong but he's not one of the regular refs from last year is he?

He was total dogs*it

Because all the other players have shown that they have a much higher level, so an off game is forgivable.

There's nothing been shown to suggest that his top level is any higher than a poor to average game for the rest of our team.

But it doesn't mean a Sissoko 7 needs to be criticised like it is a 3. I'm not saying he has shown the level of Eriksen or Dele. As soon as he does, I'll praise him to the extent he deserves. What I am saying is that he isn't playing like a 3 out of 10, and just because he hasn't hit a 9 yet, it doesn't mean we need to go overboard on the criticism of him.

He's improving, he's more settled, he's clearly a respected part of the squad. When he plays a 9, let's call it a 9. When he plays a 3, let's call it a 3. And when he plays a 7, let's just call it a 7. What has come before doesn't justify overly harsh criticism when he's clearly improving. The idea that he needs to play a 10/10 game just to merely get praise of any sort, is bonkers mate.

Sissoko was much improved, but only to the degree he didnt look entirely lost in the team as he usually does. It was an average performance, but his benchmark is so low it looks better than that.

I think it helped he was played centrally rather than out left.

Have to say though, he has NO technique whatsoever. Basic control and passing was beyond him.

Sissoko looked better because he was given more license to run forward. He did a lot of good today, but the poorly timed runs and that brick header somewhat soured the overall performance.

I'd still give him a 6-7/10 though.

But it doesn't mean a Sissoko 7 needs to be criticised like it is a 3. I'm not saying he has shown the level of Eriksen or Dele. As soon as he does, I'll praise him to the extent he deserves. What I am saying is that he isn't playing like a 3 out of 10, and just because he hasn't hit a 9 yet, it doesn't mean we need to go overboard on the criticism of him.

He's improving, he's more settled, he's clearly a respected part of the squad. When he plays a 9, let's call it a 9. When he plays a 3, let's call it a 3. And when he plays a 7, let's just call it a 7. What has come before doesn't justify overly harsh criticism when he's clearly improving. The idea that he needs to play a 10/10 game just to merely get praise of any sort, is bonkers mate.
I think it says everything about the player when in a match where he "only" got the ball taken from him a couple of times, "only" had a pass success rate down in the 70s, "only" passed to a player clearly walking back from offside once, was "only" 2nd to Kane in the fewest passes stakes, "only" stood 5 yards offside shouting for the ball twice, "only" had the 2nd fewest touches by an outfield player and we call that OK.

That really does tell you just how low his performances can be for that to be "OK"

He simply doesn't fit in a team that plans to keep possession for any length of time, and nothing is going to change that. He may be tall, he may be athletic, but he's not the kind of footballer that fits in a team that tries not to give the ball away cheaply.

Last edited:
I think it says everything about the player when in a match where he "only" got the ball taken from him a couple of times, "only" had a pass success rate down in the 70s, "only" passed to a player clearly walking back from offside once, "only" had a pass rate in the 70s, was "only" 2nd to Kane in the fewest passes stakes, "only" stood 5 yards offside shouting for the ball twice, "only" had the 2nd fewest touches by an outfield player and we call that OK.

That really does tell you just how low his performances can be for that to be "OK"

He simply doesn't fit in a team that plans to keep possession for any length of time, and nothing is going to change that. He may be talk, he may be athletic, but he's not the kind of footballer that fits in a team that tries not to give the ball away cheaply.

And yet any right minded Spurs fan who was watching the game today said he played well and fully played his part in a team that played Everton off the park at their own ground. Ain't bad for someone can't keep possession.

The disdain for him baffles me given that he is clearly improving. At least the Spurs fans in the crowd today recognised it and gave him his due.

And yet any right minded Spurs fan who was watching the game today said he played well and fully played his part in a team that played Everton off the park at their own ground. Ain't bad for someone can't keep possession.

The disdain for him baffles me given that he is clearly improving. At least the Spurs fans in the crowd today recognised it and gave him his due.
Basically what @scaramanga is saying is, if you want us to be good, league winning good, then there is no place in the team for players like Sissoko.

Regardless if he played ok today (6/7 out of 10) he will never be of the quality we need. He is poor at some fundamentals and has deficiencies that will not improve at 28.

That just shows what an incredibly low bar he has set so far.

At his very best, he's a 6-7/10 by the standards of any other player in the team or on the bench.

Basically what @scaramanga is saying is, if you want us to be good, league winning good, then there is no place in the team for players like Sissoko.

Regardless if he played ok today (6/7 out of 10) he will never be of the quality we need. He is poor at some fundamentals and has deficiencies that will not improve at 28.

He is not going to be here next season, but in the meantime, why not focus on positives? His stunning mediocrity and sometime-Bambi-on-iceness is clear even to Stevie Wonder, so when he does have a half decent game, will it hurt to acknowledge it?!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It takes everything into account, included open goals and undefeated headers. It also includes some players who are very, very good with their heads.

As a comparison it works very well and shows how much more difficult it is to score with your head from a cross than your feet from a pass.

If you play Football you know it's true. Once you commit yourself to a header your whole body is in motion which leaves little room for change unlike going with feet. Even harder these days with a more unpredictable flight of the modern Football.

Sent from my iPad using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Just seen that Schneiderlin played for Everton. Don't recall him being mentioned even once by the commentator on the Norwegian broadcast.

Just seen that Schneiderlin played for Everton. Don't recall him being mentioned even once by the commentator on the Norwegian broadcast.

You can spot him half assing around in a few of the highlights (of us attacking). Looks a lot like Nordtveit did at Wet Spam. :D

Back