• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - 22.12.13 - 13:30 -Tottenham VS Southampton @ St, Mary's

Southampton v Tottenham - 22nd Dec 2013 | Preview | Barclays Prem | Sky Sports Football
Paul Merson's prediction

Last week's result at home to Liverpool was as bad as it gets, but Tottenham were shocking in midweek against West Ham as well. They dominated the game, but when Emmanuel Adebayor came off the wheels fell off.

They are all over the place at the moment, they're in disarray, and they will get squeezed by Southampton. Adebayor is quick enough and strong enough to make a difference, but I don't see them turning things around this quickly.

Southampton aren't having a great time of things at the moment, but they are usually pretty strong at home and I think they will win this game, although I don't think it's a good idea to be leaving Adam Lallana on the bench!

PAUL PREDICTS: 2-1

Opta stats

• Tottenham have hit more shots on target away from home than any other Premier League team this season (47).
  • Excluding penalties, Roberto Soldado has hit only eight shots on target in 14 Premier League appearances for Tottenham.
  • Tottenham conceded only five goals in their opening 10 Premier League fixtures this season but have leaked 16 in the subsequent six
  • Southampton conceded only five goals in their opening 11 Premier League fixtures this season but have conceded 10 in the subsequent five.

I felt more confident about these away matches when AVB was in charge. Don't think we had such excellent away records under any other managers before. We got 10 away wins last season and even beat ManU ! Despite our problems, we already had 5 away wins this season, which is an excellent record anyway you look at it. And under AVB we only lost to big teams in away league matches : Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Arsenal, ManCity, Everton and Liverpool last season and Arsenal and ManCity this season. Remember the times when we used to lose to shyte teams like Wolves, QPR and Stoke away under Redknapp ?

Idiot Levy have destroyed all our stability in away matches just like that ! It is going to be almost impossible for other Spurs managers to overcome our excellent away record under AVB.

So, here is a challange to whoever will be in charge against Southampton : keep our excellent away record and don't lose to small teams like Southampton ! Levy will be fully responsible and answerable if we lose to Southampton.

I actually like Merson, has some decent opinions, says some funny things, is generally quite harmless. Jamie is just a pillock though.

I felt more confident about these away matches when AVB was in charge. Don't think we had such excellent away records under any other managers before. We got 10 away wins last season and even beat ManU ! Despite our problems, we already had 5 away wins this season, which is an excellent record anyway you look at it. And under AVB we only lost to big teams in away league matches : Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Arsenal, ManCity, Everton and Liverpool last season and Arsenal and ManCity this season. Remember the times when we used to lose to shyte teams like Wolves, QPR and Stoke away under Redknapp ?

Idiot Levy have destroyed all our stability in away matches just like that ! It is going to be almost impossible for other Spurs managers to overcome our excellent away record under AVB.

So, here is a challange to whoever will be in charge against Southampton : keep our excellent away record and don't lose to small teams like Southampton ! Levy will be fully responsible and answerable if we lose to Southampton.

Guess what we need to find is some sort of managerial hybrid of AVB + Redknapp who can get the team racing out the blocks and blitzing teams at WHL (as we did in 2009-10 when we won 14 of our home games) whilst taking a more measured approach in away games (like last season) :-k

I actually like Merson, has some decent opinions, says some funny things, is generally quite harmless. Jamie is just a pillock though.

Agreed.

Well the back five looks like it picks itself.

....................Lloris..............................
Walker.....Chiriches.....Dawson..........Rose

Its the remaining I'm struggling to guess who Max Farnham will pick

Lennon....Dembele....Holtby....Chadli
.............................Adebayor.......
................Soldado......................

It's a team full of talent and quality. You might need Ade tracking back to bolster midfield - close down when we're not in possession and start moves.

That's his role playing as a number 10 link up man IMO

He hasn't been prolific regularly but he can link up play

Actually as much as I was advocating Rossi's team posted in the other thread with Ade and Soldado up top I'm thinking our away form is actually pretty good. And it has been for quite a while, I don't see a reason to change it from the off. 4-2-3-1, if we chasing then go with Ade and Soldado.

-------------------Lloris--------------------
Walker---Dawson-----Chiriches---Rose
-----------Capoue-----Dembele-----------
----Lennon------Eriksen-------Siggy------
------------------Soldado------------------

Home games we go:

------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker----Dawson----Chiriches---Rose
------------Sandro----Dembele-----------
-----Lamela--------------------Eriksen---
---------Adebayor-----Soldado-----------

City even with their superior version of the side above, have a poor away record so far which suggests to me we are doing so etching right away from home

like both those sides Diego. I just wanna see Lamela and Erikson more, they've both shown glimpses of something, if they start firing then i'm sure we will as well.

I think that he came across quite well there

Agreed.

Actually as much as I was advocating Rossi's team posted in the other thread with Ade and Soldado up top I'm thinking our away form is actually pretty good. And it has been for quite a while, I don't see a reason to change it from the off. 4-2-3-1, if we chasing then go with Ade and Soldado.

-------------------Lloris--------------------
Walker---Dawson-----Chiriches---Rose
-----------Capoue-----Dembele-----------
----Lennon------Eriksen-------Siggy------
------------------Soldado------------------

Home games we go:

------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker----Dawson----Chiriches---Rose
------------Sandro----Dembele-----------
-----Lamela--------------------Eriksen---
---------Adebayor-----Soldado-----------

City even with their superior version of the side above, have a poor away record so far which suggests to me we are doing so etching right away from home

Spot on.

Today (21st December) in 1895 Tottenham Hotspur played their first game as a professional club, beating Casuals 3-1.

Go 4-3-3. This is a MUST WIN.

----------- Lloris
Walker Dawson Vlad Rose
- Paulinho Sandro Holtby
-- Lennon Soldado Chadli

Put Ade next to Soldado in the 2nd half if we're chasing the game.

So you think playing Soldado up front as a central striker on his own has really worked for us so far this season

With the confidence in the team I could see us chasing the game being us losing the game.

So you think playing Soldado up front as a central striker on his own has really worked for us so far this season

With the confidence in the team I could see us chasing the game being us losing the game.

16 points from 8 away games would suggest it's not a terrible idea.

Our problem has obviously been creativity and people who can pass the ball in midfield. As a result, I would play the following:

---------------------------Lloris--------------------------------

--Walker------Dawson------------Chiriches----------Rose---

-----------Eriksen--------Capoue---------Holtby--------------

----------Lennon---------Soldado---------Lamela-------------

I think I'm right in saying that Eriksen used to play in the midfield 3 of a 4-3-3 at Ajax so should be used to it, and I also think that this is the best role for Holtby. Dembele holds on to the ball for me rather than pass it and I think he's part of our problem rather than the solution.

Up top, this probably isnt the ideal formation for Lennon, however you could argue that playing in this role as opposed to out side in a 4-4-2 means that if he beast his man (which he often does with his pace) then he's through, rather than having to cross the ball (his weakness). This formation also gets people closer to Soldado, which is another problem which we've had

Back