• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

I'm with @braineclipse here: we've gone from looking a bit bloated in midfield to bare bones. PEH can play AM and I think whenever Bissouma is back, we could see it (assuming Stellini is more willing to experiment with 4 at the back) but it is slightly risky and despite PEH's stellar injury record, I feel like we'd be tempting fate a bit.
I feel like I'd rather see Kane play in that position and have Richarlison up top, or even Son who does a decent job when filling in for striker.
So not bare bones then.
On recent form Kulu needs some bench time along side Son
Yeah but he's someone we do need to play back into form. If he's having a bad game, bring on Porro or Moura. If Richarlison is having a bad game, bring on Son or Perisic.

I know this will never happen, but seeing as our left side is so week, paucity of CB options, and our midfield is relatively strong, I'd like to see:
Forster
Emerson... Romero... Dier... Davies
Skipp... PEH... Sarr
Kulusevski... Kane... Richarlison
I know PEH isn't exactly creative, but CAM is his best position and he can pick a pass/score.
I'd like a similar change/tweak but would go attacking 352 as Conte likes a back 3.

-----------------------------Forster--------------------
----------------Royal----Romero----Davies----
------------------Hojbjerg----Skipp-------------
Porro----------------------Son------Kulusevski
---------------------Kane----------Richarlison---

So not bare bones then.
It is now and for the foreseeable future. Bissouma had surgery less than a week ago on his ankle. I have no idea how long he's out for but it will be at least a month or two easily.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for the 4-2-3-1 or even @yiddo37 's formation, although I would swap some of those players around.

To be fair, most of us would have had our three top CMs down as Bentancur, Bissouma and PEH at the start of this season, with Skippy in 4th, just because he'd been out for so long. Remove two starting CMs from almost any team (exceptions being Emirates Marketing Project and Arsenal, I guess) and there's trouble ahead. If not dropping a long way down the selection list, then messing around with formations to cover the gap.

Instead, Sarr has been a very welcome bonus and, to be honest, I trust Skippy to come in once he's match fit. Could do a lot worse than those two and PEH.

IMHO, the key to getting back into the top 4 will be the availability of Romero and the form of our forwards, not whether Sarr and Skipp can work the midfield. Although luck certainly seems to be against us at the moment.

To be fair, most of us would have had our three top CMs down as Bentancur, Bissouma and PEH at the start of this season, with Skippy in 4th, just because he'd been out for so long. Remove two starting CMs from almost any team (exceptions being Emirates Marketing Project and Arsenal, I guess) and there's trouble ahead. If not dropping a long way down the selection list, then messing around with formations to cover the gap.

Instead, Sarr has been a very welcome bonus and, to be honest, I trust Skippy to come in once he's match fit. Could do a lot worse than those two and PEH.

IMHO, the key to getting back into the top 4 will be the availability of Romero and the form of our forwards, not whether Sarr and Skipp can work the midfield. Although luck certainly seems to be against us at the moment.

The beginning of last season i thought skipp was our best player.

The beginning of last season i thought skipp was our best player.
Under Nuno, right? Things have conspired against Skippy -- I think he was just getting going for Conte when he got injured, then Bentancur came in, and we all know how little Conte seems to rotate his players.

Don't get me wrong -- I would really love to see Skippy making the most of his potential -- but he just wasn't getting a look-in at the start of this season.

I was disappointed when I saw Sarr wasn't starting as not seen much of him but Skipp had a very good game and improved as the game went on, not easy in midfield when you get booked after 9 mins. I thought his booking was harsh as it was a challenge for the ball rather than both the early West Ham fouls which were tactical with no attempt to get the ball.

I was disappointed when I saw Sarr wasn't starting as not seen much of him but Skipp had a very good game and improved as the game went on, not easy in midfield when you get booked after 9 mins. I thought his booking was harsh as it was a challenge for the ball rather than both the early West Ham fouls which were tactical with no attempt to get the ball.

Thought Sarr may get the nod, not wasn't disappointed to see Skipp. Think he's been unlucky with injuries and also has deserved more game time than he's gotten.

Agree that he did well. Yellow was what it was, you get those from time to time. But he did well playing on a yellow. Like the rest of the team improved in the second half.

Thought Sarr may get the nod, not wasn't disappointed to see Skipp. Think he's been unlucky with injuries and also has deserved more game time than he's gotten.

Agree that he did well. Yellow was what it was, you get those from time to time. But he did well playing on a yellow. Like the rest of the team improved in the second half.
should have subbed him straight after the second goal, no point taking a risk... we're already down to 3cm's

should have subbed him straight after the second goal, no point taking a risk... we're already down to 3cm's

I think subbing him earlier could have been a good choice.

I also kind of like showing that level of trust in a player. Trusting him to make good decisions, play well on a yellow. Help see the game out, not do anything rash. I think Skipp is well deserving of that trust.

Sarr probably would have done well if he came on at that time, he's given us no reasons to think he wouldn't. I think managers see the risks at 2-0 up as greater than many of us as fans do. One goal for them and the game would be in immediate risk and probably quite a lot of chaos would follow. Sticking with what's working at 2-0 up isn't a bad idea and Skipp was playing really well at that point.

How good do people think Skipp could be? On the one hand I don’t think he has any major standout traits. On the other hand I think he does all the basics very very well. Maybe top 4 squad player is his realistic potential?

I think subbing him earlier could have been a good choice.

I also kind of like showing that level of trust in a player. Trusting him to make good decisions, play well on a yellow. Help see the game out, not do anything rash. I think Skipp is well deserving of that trust.

Sarr probably would have done well if he came on at that time, he's given us no reasons to think he wouldn't. I think managers see the risks at 2-0 up as greater than many of us as fans do. One goal for them and the game would be in immediate risk and probably quite a lot of chaos would follow. Sticking with what's working at 2-0 up isn't a bad idea and Skipp was playing really well at that point.
Just think playing the percentages (considering our situation) is sensible. A booking can come out of nowhere.

Plus, I already trust Skipp, and Sarr similarly. I don't feel any kind of drop off with Sarr coming on.

Just think playing the percentages (considering our situation) is sensible. A booking can come out of nowhere.

Plus, I already trust Skipp, and Sarr similarly. I don't feel any kind of drop off with Sarr coming on.
Skipp and Sarr track back, working hard to shield our defense. Obviously, Skipp has room to improve as he was getting beat by opponents but yesterday's performance was blood and thunder all around and for the most part, the tackles were all well-timed and we got possession back.

How good do people think Skipp could be? On the one hand I don’t think he has any major standout traits. On the other hand I think he does all the basics very very well. Maybe top 4 squad player is his realistic potential?
Think he can be a top player. His reading of the game is already really good and his tackling and defensive game is good. I feel his passing is underrated,
he does look to play it forward and plays it accurately. He won't play many 50 yard eye catching passes but will play quick accurate forward passes.
He also seems to be really level headed and hard working so I'm hoping he will continue working hard on his game and improve. Kane has shown him what hard work can do so hopefully he's picked up on that.

I hope that Skipp is capable of being the glue that holds our team together. A modern central midfielder who keeps possession, recycles the ball, and brings others into play through passing triangles, as well as making interceptions and tackles.

But what I really hope is that he can elevate himself to be a player who dictates the tempo, takes control of games, makes my pants sticky. Our next Carrick or Modric. I don't think Skippy has magic in his boots like Modric does, but can he be good enough to at least draw comparison with Carrick? I hoped that Winks would be the one, especially after that performance at the Bernabeu, but now my "home grown hero" hopes rest on Skipp. Although Winks does seem to be doing the business in Italy...

I hope that Skipp is capable of being the glue that holds our team together. A modern central midfielder who keeps possession, recycles the ball, and brings others into play through passing triangles, as well as making interceptions and tackles.

But what I really hope is that he can elevate himself to be a player who dictates the tempo, takes control of games, makes my pants sticky. Our next Carrick or Modric. I don't think Skippy has magic in his boots like Modric does, but can he be good enough to at least draw comparison with Carrick? I hoped that Winks would be the one, especially after that performance at the Bernabeu, but now my "home grown hero" hopes rest on Skipp. Although Winks does seem to be doing the business in Italy...

Personally I don’t think Skipp has the range of passing to be a Carrick or Modric. But I think he has more aggression and bite in the tackle than both of them. And moves the ball forward with more urgency than Winks ended up doing. I’d be happy if he ends up being a good squad player for us for years to come.

Speaking of sticky, Skipp did get himself out of some sticky situations. The tackle for his yellow was from his misplaced pass but he tried to make amends... I actually didn't think it was a yellow and he wanted to neutralize any danger from his giveaway so I get the strong tackle. There were other moments though where he squeaked the ball out from being crowded by 2-3 players for Kane or someone else to run onto. It was a joy to see Kane and Skipp linking up, and I think as Skipp shakes the rust off and actually progresses, we could have a real player here as you mentioned: nothing fancy but able to keep possession, drive forward with a simple run or pass, and win the ball back to start counter-attacks.

I think a sub like that would have been fine, but I also think keeping him on was fine.

I rate Sarr highly, but there's always some uncertainty with a player that young. Meanwhile Skipp was playing well.

Back