• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OFT - Tottenham Vs Shakhtar

Since this stadium opened, the Spurs fans haven't been able to see their team play much attractive football. How important is it to you that these fans finally feel at home here?

That's the responsibility you have when you manage any football club I guess. The lifeblood of it is the supporters and you want to reward them for their faith and belief in the team. You can do that in a number of ways.

The best way is to have success. Every supporter craves that, they want to see their team winning and lifting trophies. Within that context the way you play the game is certainly important, certainly for me. I want our fans to look forward to coming to the stadium and following the team.

A big part of that experience, if we're playing the kind of football I want us to play, is that they'll feel a part of it. They'll be able to ride the adrenalin that the team gives. The energy goes both ways. The supporters can give the team energy but we can also give our supporters energy by showing them that we want to play football that excites them.

There have been reports of deadlines with Harry, is it your hope that it gets sorted one way or the other this week?

From my perspective I don't know what deadlines means. We know there's one deadline and that's the end of the transfer window. Beyond that, I'm in open dialogue with Harry and with the club on a regular basis.

I've said to them that if the status quo changes then inform me. I don't need to know about the comings and goings in between. I just want to deal with what's in front of me because I've got to still, irrespective of the outcome of that, I'm building a team here.

I can't wait [around] for a decision either way to get going. We don't have the time or the luxury to do that. I'm working with what's in front of me. You saw today that Harry certainly is invested in what we're doing and we'll keep on doing that unless something changes.

How have you felt about Bayern's very public approach?

I don't have a view either way mate. That's up to Bayern to decide. If that's the way they want to conduct things, it's not up to me to judge that. It doesn't affect me. I don't sit there on a daily basis and worry about what other clubs are doing.

I think what is factual right now is that he is a contracted player of our football club. I certainly wouldn't talk about contracted players at other football clubs but I'm not at Bayern mate so they can go the way they want.

How do you go about replacing a player who scores the majority of goals?

Again, I'll deal with that when the time comes, you know? I've always had these contingencies in my head anyway, whether it's Harry or anyone else, there's no guarantee about anybody. There's all sorts of things that can happen that affect your planning. I'm not going to spend a lot of time or energy thinking about something that may not happen because, again, I don't have that luxury.

It'd be different maybe if it was my third or fourth year at the club, if we'd already established the way we play, established the squad and that was my major issue or only issue then maybe I'd be a little bit more obsessive about it. But right now, I'm trying to build a style of game, a squad of players, different training, there's so many things that are really important that I can't be distracted by one or two other things.

Does today's performance from Harry mean you don't have doubts about him?

There's no doubt that I would use Harry, I don't need today to tell me that. He's a fantastic striker, one of the world's best. I think the way the team plays will help him as well. He loves scoring goals and you saw today we created a load of chances and he was the beneficiary of that.

Would you tell people not to read too much into Kane applauding the fans at the end?

You are reading something into it, aren't you! Again, I'm not going to tell people how to feel, what to read into it at the end of the day. I don't even know what's in Harry's mind, let alone anyone else's. I think all these things will obviously play out over the next period, we'll deal with what happens from there.

Not as often as Kane, but I reckon PEH has played some of the best attacking passes we’ve seen in the last few years.

Yeh I've seen a few TBF, but I wouldn't say his strength is quick accurate movement of the ball. Under pressure I've seen a fair few also float out of play

Yeh I've seen a few TBF, but I wouldn't say his strength is quick accurate movement of the ball. Under pressure I've seen a fair few also float out of play

I've said something similar before but when you're in a position like CM your average is much more important than your best, it's what you do for 89 minutes rather than 1 that matters most - so yeah i would agree that he has played some good/great/key passes over his time here but his bread and butter passing is sideways & backwards regardless of what is on in front of him and as you say under pressure his accuracy nosedives

well, again, other than Kane, we don’t have anyone who can do that :)

If in doubt…

Haha true, early days but I think Sarr and Bissouma will fit the style and their mobility to get round the pitch quicker will be a massive asset to the system. JM will add the much needed quality

Well just back in. I am normally the half-full guy, but I really enjoyed that, unlike the miserable gits around us by the sounds of it.

I know they are not the best barometer, but we could have had double figures, on another day Kane could have had 7 (with 2 early chances and that audacious back flick in the 2nd half, what a statement that would have been)...oh and its £120m now fritz.

I think it will take a while for 3 seasons of Mourinho and Conte to be coached out of them, but we seemed to press higher up the field. I think we will score bags of goals against the lesser option, but can see us conceding a fair few too, could be a return to the 4-3, 5-3 an 6-4 scores of Berbatov/Keane days.
The defence still looks shaky but hopefully new options will help with that, and make Vicario look a little more comfortable.

I fear we won't do well against the Big 6 for a while. Certainly United at home could well tell us lot early on.

Madsion looks absolute quality, cant wait for the 1st free-kick in range v Brentford or United

Last edited:
Where are the fudging ratings!!

Guglielmo Vicario 8

He's a bit unconventional, but effective. At one point he moved away from the winger on the line to cover a cut back, while his trailing legs stopped the cross. It worked, but it was unique, never seen a keeper do that. He made some excellent saves, had no chance saving their point-blank headed goal.

Emerson Royal 6.5

Impecible defensively. Made some absolutely crucial defensive interventions that are probably underated. He's a couragous and agile defender. At the other end, same old. Tbf his shot from Kane's chance was deflected over (thought he skied it initially), but he's never going to be a brilliant attacker. We have Porro for that, and maybe Postecoglou can rotate them depending on the opposition. Still I expect Royal to improve a little in attack. He still bricks it when he reaches the opposition box. If he can develop some cool (a no-look pass only counts as cool if it works!), maybe he can better place some shots and passes.

Cristian Romero 7

He needs to feel the fire to play it seems. I thought he was good. One silly lunge. He actually got the ball, but also got a card. Otherwise just good. The way he passes the ball, he's cultured. I expect him to come on under Postecoglou - he needs good advice and coaching. But the ingredients are all there.

Ben Davies 5.5

Look, I love the guy. He's a stalwart. A LB not a CB. Reliable. And he was today. Just those few moments where he's uncovered, like their goal. He's not good enough going forward either truth be told.

Destiny Udogie 8

Started like a train. Was perfect in the first 15. Faded a little, but enough there to see what he can do. For one so young, in his debut, I wsa impressed. But there is a lot more for him to develop still.

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg 7.5

I know his passing isn't metronomic. More irratic. Sometimes excellent, other times lacking. But it is telling that every manager who's had him at Spurs, plays him. If he can keep working on the passing he will be in and around the first team, maybe rotating with Bentancur or Bissouma.

Pape Matar Sarr 7.5

His enthusiasm is awesome. Loves to play football clearly, and he was everywhere. Didn't manage to get a goal, but plenty of intent. He's not the finished article, but has real promise.

James Maddison 8

Penality and an assist. Kane must be intruiged to play with him. He's technically gifted, but I want Madison to make more of his openings. He could be world class if he does. Too often he doesn't finish when he should. With his abilty, you want him to be more ruthless. Even as he is, he is an excellent player tho and we've missed a player like him since Eriksen.

Need to get the kids to bed, rest later!

Last edited:
Dejan Kulusevski 8.5

I am biased. I've always got time for Kulu. If he's not playing well, its the system or fatigue. Another cultured player. Had at least two assists. Hopefully he'll get rotated effecively, and won't be run into the ground. Would like to see him be as clinical with his shooting as he is assisting. Sets up a lot of chances for others, can he nail a few more chances for himself?

Harry Kane 10

Made chances, scored chances. For one of his goals he did both! He started the move and finished it off (via Madison). He is at home here. But I get the feeling he just fancies trying his hand somewhere else. He's good enough. Why wouldn't you want to nail it at another club? Of course you would.

Son Heung-min 7

Son will happily play second fiddle when others are playing well. He linked up well with Udogie, Madison, Kane. Did his job. A truely selfless player, always doing his best for the team.

Manor Solomon 7

His shot that Kane scored from was impressive. Carried the ball well, and shot with more power than you'd imagine from a diminuative player. He packs a punch and should work well in the congested areas that we'll have to work within. A good sub and ahead of Gil, just.

Giovani Lo Celso ?
Missed most of his action so can't comment.

Dane Scarlett 10

Smashed his goal in and arrived! Credit to Postecoglou for bringing him on.

So late view

- Clearly a lot more fun to watch than the last few years of pragmatic football (supposedly over 100 shots in 3 preseason games)

Re the players

- Kane showing what he is, WC striker
- Son and Decki still finding their way back, improved but both in form would have scored at least one
- Maddison is a difference maker
- Lo Celso fits, big indicator is not a drop off when he replaced Maddison
- Udogie, probably the surprise (how seamless he fit in), with him and Royal, FB's look good
- PEH, much better when not badly out numbered in midfield

Only downside was Davies (and to be fair we know LCB in a 4 isn't his thing), caught for the goal, bad forward passing, slows things down in a system designed for tempo.

I think the point Postecoglou made about the players having belief in system is spot on, they have had 3 years of thinking in a certain way and it's difficult to change, whatever the outcome it was pleasant to see more smiling faces at the game and less moaning, could be there were a lot of families and new faces there, I like us to win but I want to see some attacking play, can't remember whether it was Blanchflower or Nicholson who said "we (Spurs) play to beat teams not bore them to death" that's always been my outlook.

I think the point Postecoglou made about the players having belief in system is spot on, they have had 3 years of thinking in a certain way and it's difficult to change, whatever the outcome it was pleasant to see more smiling faces at the game and less moaning, could be there were a lot of families and new faces there, I like us to win but I want to see some attacking play, can't remember whether it was Blanchflower or Nicholson who said "we (Spurs) play to beat teams not bore them to death" that's always been my outlook.

I like how he takes all accountability on it, I have lost count of times he mentioned it being his fault and asking players to do things he wants. Not to incure the wrath of others but thats hugely impressive TBH, taking that pressure off and also allowing for mistakes in the process, not sure I have seen many managers come out and call it as their own fault too many times, Spurs or otherwise. Of course of the season and it heats up that might change, just to be balanced there

Lots of nice surprises...
Royal is a pretty good midfielder
Devine has a sweet effortless strike on him
Udogie is playing way ahead of his age
We are playing the ball into space instead of feet a lot more

Sent from my SM-S918B using Fapatalk
I missed the game but your last comment is very exciting. For so long we've been so slow and stodgy because every pass is into feet and then the two touches to control the ball. Does my bloody head in. [emoji28]

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Back