• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OFT - Tottenham Vs Barcelona

As has been pointed out by others, it is so refreshing to see us take our second and third string players with low match fitness, compose a defence of what was our probably third choice pairing of centre backs (who during the day became our fourth/fifth choice due to signings), and go on to play ball around fudgings Barcelona for 65-70 minutes, and to come within inches of winning the game comfortably. We lost the game due to sending on the kids and the rest of the un-matchfit players running out of steam.

Yet, some choose to be glass-half-empty, and to vent gruff about individual players...
Amazing.

How the flying fudge can anyone watch that game yesterday and not be ebullient?
Yes, errors were made. Yes, known weaknesses in certain players were exposed. And yes, certain players who did play well will not be in our squad come end of the transfer window.

But don't you see what this means? In a short few weeks the new gaffer and his staff has managed to create a system and a belief in the squad that for the majority of the game made Dier/Sanchez look like a semi-solid defensive unit in a high-press attacking team! With a leggy midfield and attack in front of them, and a dodgy left back.

(And if certain sections of stupid fudgefaces hadn't ruined our relationship with Sanchez totally previously, he could now suddenly actually have become a decent backup in a system where he could have had some more success. Anyway, that ship has sailed, and he must be off.)

We had Barcelonas wonderkids on the fork, and if this game ment anything at all resultwise, and was not just about getting minutes into the players, we would have brought more of the players from the Shaktar-game and we would have subbed up or equal, rather than down. This game was all about getting as many minutes as possible into Lo Celso, Richarlison, Skipp, Solomon and the other players who are expected to be in or around the first team. All the others were just supporting actors, and they know it. Yet we came so close to not just winning, but winning in style. If that's not Tottenham, then nothing is!

I agree with all of that. Well said.

Perhaps I have supported Spurs for too long but I cannot see this current squad getting in the top 6. I actually think the close season has been a bit of a disaster. The tour of australia and asia was my favourite buttplug and the last 2 friendlies have not shown me anything to get excited about.
?????? What games have you been watching?

Although I do agree that this squad, our second XI that is, will struggle to get top 6. Our first XI, on the other hand...

Takeaways:

Keep Sanchez and Perisic. They have a lot to offer and can step in if we have injuries or as impact subs (Perisic, in particular).

Our second string can play as well as our starting XI. I mean, I can't remember when was the last time I saw that. Usually our second string looked like they had just met each other one hour before game time. This version looks like they can go toe to toe with the best sides.

We really don't need Harry. There are plenty of goals from multiple positions in this system and plenty of creativity with the quick interchanges this style is based on. Would rather get £90 million and address the defense.

Really excited for this season. We might be the dark horse, if Micky settles in quickly and we remain relatively injury-free. We're going to be a nightmare to play against and I don't think park-the-bus sides will trouble us as much as they used to.

And last, but not least, fudge Conte.

Takeaways:

Keep Sanchez and Perisic. They have a lot to offer and can step in if we have injuries or as impact subs (Perisic, in particular).

Our second string can play as well as our starting XI. I mean, I can't remember when was the last time I saw that. Usually our second string looked like they had just met each other one hour before game time. This version looks like they can go toe to toe with the best sides.

We really don't need Harry. There are plenty of goals from multiple positions in this system and plenty of creativity with the quick interchanges this style is based on. Would rather get £90 million and address the defense.

Really excited for this season. We might be the dark horse, if Micky settles in quickly and we remain relatively injury-free. We're going to be a nightmare to play against and I don't think park-the-bus sides will trouble us as much as they used to.

And last, but not least, fudge Conte.

Perisic yes, Sanchez needs to go for his own good

Yes, a system manager who's system actually works with B team

Harry could be the difference maker between a decent and good/great season (and we need one)

Player/system settle in will be a big part, how soon/well do Maddison, Vicario, VDV, Udogie settle in. I'm actually excited to see that supplemented by Bentancur in a few months

Totally onboard, fudge Conte, amazing hearing a manger state, we lost the game because the players legs were gone and I chose not to bring/use subs

Bissouma is going to be an absolute monster for us this season. Just got a feeling that things are going to click for him
I'm really looking forward to seeing him, Bentancur and Maddison in the same team as it is a high energy but also technically proficient trio with a bit of everything. We also have some reasonable depth to hopefully allow us to switch them out so they won't be knackered come the business end of the season. I think this was one of the issues with Conteball that we were either chasing a lead or hanging on by a single goal so there was no respite and little rotation.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him, Bentancur and Maddison in the same team as it is a high energy but also technically proficient trio with a bit of everything. We also have some reasonable depth to hopefully allow us to switch them out so they won't be knackered come the business end of the season. I think this was one of the issues with Conteball that we were either chasing a lead or hanging on by a single goal so there was no respite and little rotation.

Bissouma, Maddison, Bentancur is a pretty quality midfield, with a bench of Skipp, GLC & Sarr, not bad depth either

I'd expect Ange to sub our midfielders pretty regularly and early based on the workrate.

Bissouma, Maddison, Bentancur is a pretty quality midfield, with a bench of Skipp, GLC & Sarr, not bad depth either

I'd expect Ange to sub our midfielders pretty regularly and early based on the workrate.
Agreed, I think where we are getting to is for most areas the individual drop off is not as great, so I wouldn't want to see all 3 of those start together I'm a big game but any one of them could slot in with the others. Last season Bentancur was such an important part of us being able to play in a 2 there was no one near his level to replace him.

Hopefully the same with the WF too, if Son continues his form of last season I'd like to see Richie start more, beat up the full back for an hour and then unleash Son as the game opens up, Kulu would also seems like a player who would benefit from rotation and Soloman is another you wouldn't want to see coming off the bench.

Back