• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Video Game Thread ***

Bethesda knocked it out the park - I wish I could justify £100 for the pip boy edition of fallout but as good a gimmick it is, it's still a gimmick!

It's a pretty expensive phone case, that's for sure...
Game looks awesome though, I'm going to have to buy a new TV, and a PS4 before November...

It's a bit ridiculous tbh... I just keep finding 'bargains' that I can't resist! Wolfenstein the new order, both metro 2033s, Lego batman 3, thief 3, assassins creed unity/black flag, halo MCC and sunset overdrive are sitting there with less then a few hours played on each and that's not including the 360 games...

Yet I keep putting more hours into an already worn out copy of diablo 3!

Ah right in that case I understandunderstand, they said they didn't want to give away any plot and while it would have been nice to know how deep they've gone with characters and factions that's hard to give a full impression of in an e3 event. I reckon they'll put a few teasers out in the next few months detailing all that. I know at you mean about Bethesda's NPCs though - they're not nearly as memorable as bioware - but then strangely for someone who considers planescape torment the best game ever made on the back of it's dialogue and NPCs, it's never been a deal breaker for me. The depth of the worlds they offer more than makes up for it.

Currently really impressed by DA: Inquisition's party dynamics and supporting characters story lines but given how many copies fallout 3 and skyrim sold without needing to worry about all that pesky dialogue to write/actors to hire, I can't imagine we'll get anything like that. There's a reason the dog is everyone's favorite Bethesda side kick - deadmeats barking was far more charismatic than anything Lydia/Jericho ever offered...

Not a Halo fan, and unaware of Sunset Overdrive, but WOW, what a back-log. Enjoy, mate. Especially the Metros: probably the most atmospheric games I've played in the shooter genre in a long time, with only the original Bioshock surpassing the indirect world-building methods that those games employ, imo. :)

As for Bethesda, yeah, I don't really mind too much: I understand that they wanted to keep the plot under wraps, and it doesn't detract too much from the rest of their ace presentation. But yes, Bethesda's NPCs aren't really at par when it comes to player interaction or character depth, and they'd be perfect if they could address that issue. I had high hopes when Chris Avellone left Obsidian a week or so ago: I really wanted to see him at Bethesda, writing the dialogue for the NPCs, making more memorable quests similar to the ones in FO and FO2, and creating somewhat more memorable side-characters than the standard Bethesda fare (Boone in F:NV, for example) . Sadly, that didn't happen, but hey, here's to hoping. ;)

And as for Inquisition, I liked it. Not as much as I liked Origins, but it certainly contained enough interesting characters, party banter and stunningly rendered locations to end up feeling like a worthy use of the 50-odd hours I put into it. It does feel a bit rushed at certain points in the main quest, as you'll likely discover yourself: but it's still got enough to pass muster. Personally, I long for the sort of dialogue we got in Planescape, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2, and the colorful characters that accompanied said dialogue: but you're right, these days games sell copies without needing that level of detail and dedication to crafting characters, so we're unlikely to see those times again. Plus, voice actors: can you imagine the cost of a voice actor voicing all of Morte's lines? :p

If there's one thing I realistically hope to happen, however, it's Bethesda allowing multiple companions and perhaps scripting some banter between them. Dragon Age was vastly improved by this: all three games had endearing moments of characterization caused by the party members occasionally ribbing each other behind your back, and it added up to more than the sum of its parts, imo. Overall, it shouldn't be too difficult for Bethesda to try something similar, even though naturally the list of possible companions for their games tends to dwarf the small cast Bioware usually employs. We'll see in November, I guess. :)

Mind you with the RARE collection and a huge pile of Xbox 360 games still unplayed (though the same can be said for my PS3 pile of shame, to be fair), then I'm still currently undecided...

Mind you with the RARE collection and a huge pile of Xbox 360 games still unplayed (though the same can be said for my PS3 pile of shame, to be fair), then I'm still currently undecided...
So it is - missed that annojncement!

Yeah I may have preordered the rare collection already... £18 from Amazon - it would be rude not to!

I was pretty sure I was going to get a ps4 up until January - faster GPU, better archive of games, smaller box etc, but went for the xbone as everyone else I knew was getting one so multiplayer would have been lonely on the ps4. Really glad I made that decision but ... Sony just announced a FF7 remake so looks like I'll be buying a ps4 too....

Not a Halo fan, and unaware of Sunset Overdrive, but WOW, what a back-log. Enjoy, mate. Especially the Metros: probably the most atmospheric games I've played in the shooter genre in a long time, with only the original Bioshock surpassing the indirect world-building methods that those games employ, imo. :)

As for Bethesda, yeah, I don't really mind too much: I understand that they wanted to keep the plot under wraps, and it doesn't detract too much from the rest of their ace presentation. But yes, Bethesda's NPCs aren't really at par when it comes to player interaction or character depth, and they'd be perfect if they could address that issue. I had high hopes when Chris Avellone left Obsidian a week or so ago: I really wanted to see him at Bethesda, writing the dialogue for the NPCs, making more memorable quests similar to the ones in FO and FO2, and creating somewhat more memorable side-characters than the standard Bethesda fare (Boone in F:NV, for example) . Sadly, that didn't happen, but hey, here's to hoping. ;)

And as for Inquisition, I liked it. Not as much as I liked Origins, but it certainly contained enough interesting characters, party banter and stunningly rendered locations to end up feeling like a worthy use of the 50-odd hours I put into it. It does feel a bit rushed at certain points in the main quest, as you'll likely discover yourself: but it's still got enough to pass muster. Personally, I long for the sort of dialogue we got in Planescape, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2, and the colorful characters that accompanied said dialogue: but you're right, these days games sell copies without needing that level of detail and dedication to crafting characters, so we're unlikely to see those times again. Plus, voice actors: can you imagine the cost of a voice actor voicing all of Morte's lines? :p

If there's one thing I realistically hope to happen, however, it's Bethesda allowing multiple companions and perhaps scripting some banter between them. Dragon Age was vastly improved by this: all three games had endearing moments of characterization caused by the party members occasionally ribbing each other behind your back, and it added up to more than the sum of its parts, imo. Overall, it shouldn't be too difficult for Bethesda to try something similar, even though naturally the list of possible companions for their games tends to dwarf the small cast Bioware usually employs. We'll see in November, I guess. :)
You see the team behind planescape/incewind dale have kick started a planescape successor? No voice acting and its old school top down but look like a lot of love is going into it.

Well I'm already well over 50 hours in da:I so I guess I've enjoyed it enough so far! Keep meaning to finish it off but its so damn epic!

Those companion moments add so much to the feel of the game but I hate to think how much it costs to get enough lines to keep it feeling fresh. Dragon age amazed me how it would keep throwing new lines no matter how long id been playing.

You see the team behind planescape/incewind dale have kick started a planescape successor? No voice acting and its old school top down but look like a lot of love is going into it.

Well I'm already well over 50 hours in da:I so I guess I've enjoyed it enough so far! Keep meaning to finish it off but its so damn epic!

Those companion moments add so much to the feel of the game but I hate to think how much it costs to get enough lines to keep it feeling fresh. Dragon age amazed me how it would keep throwing new lines no matter how long id been playing.

Yeah, Torment: Tides of Numenera. I backed it. :) Didn't have the money to back PoE, but bought it at release, although I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. There's something about those isometric top-down RPGs that I'll always love, given that BG, P:T and BG2 came out at around the same time that I got into gaming as a kid, and they all captivated me so much that I spent years constructing head-canons about my characters and dreaming about the worlds those games were set in. I moved on to bigger, more flashy games, football and excessive drinking in my teens, but I've kept that attachment with me, I think. And I know most people have very similar stories. :)

DA:I is a good game with some great moments. I liked most of the characters (except that elf whose name escapes me: she was so unbearably annoying and snotty that I kicked her out of my party, possibly the only time I've ever done that in a Bioware game :p), with my favorites being Cassandra, Dorian and Varric: beyond that, the supporting non-companion characters were decent as well. Felt the villain was a bit lacking, though. I'd be interested to know what your favorite area is so far: I've asked a few people I know who have played the game, and the responses were more varied than I expected. :p

And yes, I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap to script some really good party banter, but come on, at this stage they could burn a hundred million dollars in a field and still not have a care in the world. :p The extra cost wouldn't amount to that much, and it would make their NPCs much, much better, I think.

Yeah, Torment: Tides of Numenera. I backed it. :) Didn't have the money to back PoE, but bought it at release, although I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. There's something about those isometric top-down RPGs that I'll always love, given that BG, P:T and BG2 came out at around the same time that I got into gaming as a kid, and they all captivated me so much that I spent years constructing head-canons about my characters and dreaming about the worlds those games were set in. I moved on to bigger, more flashy games, football and excessive drinking in my teens, but I've kept that attachment with me, I think. And I know most people have very similar stories. :)

DA:I is a good game with some great moments. I liked most of the characters (except that elf whose name escapes me: she was so unbearably annoying and snotty that I kicked her out of my party, possibly the only time I've ever done that in a Bioware game :p), with my favorites being Cassandra, Dorian and Varric: beyond that, the supporting non-companion characters were decent as well. Felt the villain was a bit lacking, though. I'd be interested to know what your favorite area is so far: I've asked a few people I know who have played the game, and the responses were more varied than I expected. :p

And yes, I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap to script some really good party banter, but come on, at this stage they could burn a hundred million dollars in a field and still not have a care in the world. :p The extra cost wouldn't amount to that much, and it would make their NPCs much, much better, I think.
True - maybe they're just scared of the inevitable mountain of bugs they'd create!

Im in almost exactly the same situation as you-poured more time into BG, BG2, IWD, PS:T, Fallout 1&2 than I can believe but damn they were great games. Tried playing through them a few times but just don't have the time for them - to appreciate those games you need to invest so much time into the dialogue. I backed Tides of Nomura and picked a tier which gave me a copy of PoE but I've not played it yet, mainly as I don't have a PC at the moment!

I'd say the companion quests have been the best bit-I also kicked out that elf (Sera) as she accomplished nothing but annoying be, but varic, iron bull and Blackwall's quests were fantastic. Can't do solas' though as he seems to hate me! The dragon fights were epic too - they felt like you were actually fighting these ancient, powerful beasts. Unlike skyrims 3000 boring dragons you sometimes only noticed after your horse had killed them....

The only other thing I didn't like about it was how abruptly the player character seems to (slight spoiler):
go from suspect to saviour of the free world with unheralded power, connections and unchallenged resources...
I mean it was necessary, I just feel a few more hours of realistic dialogue would have been nice to avoid feeling like it was totally out if character for everyone involved!

I'm also excited for FF7 remake... can't wait. That and Fallout 4 occupy my interest, other than that nothing else looks crazy.

New southpark game too - stick of truth was surprisingly great.

Though for crazy I don't think that minecraft/hololense demo can be beat-not interested in the game but from a technical point of view it looks amazing.

It's only going to be a limited selection to start with too, the preview members have about 30 games it works with right now so I imagine it will be years till everything works perfectly.

If you have the physical disc of a game, you can't just play it, I don't think. It downloads a version of it to play instead. which means they have to have set it up and got it working first.

"The approach that we've taken is to actually emulate the full Xbox 360 hardware layer. So the [operating system] for the 360 is actually running when you run the game, [...] If you watch the game's boot you'll see the Xbox 360 boot animation come up. From a performance standpoint it allows [emulation] to work. We're able to get frame by frame performance equivalents."

"The 360 games think they're running on the 360 OS, which they are. And the 360 OS thinks its running on the hardware, which it's not, it's running on an emulated VM. On the other side, the Xbox One thinks it's a game. That's why things like streaming, game DVR, and screenshots all work, because it thinks there's just one big game called 360. "

I get that guys, the games I have though are what you would call mainstream games.. Halo series, Call of Duty series, Gears of war series, Bioshock series, Battlefield series... saying that I don't have any FIFA games.. shock horror.

I would imagine its these games that would get dealt with early. I haven't got the xbox one yet but I will be getting it on the release of the new Halo game on the 26th October. I believe this is the time also they will be bringing out the 1TB version, with the above games I will need it, I also would imagine that the new box would be 2nd generation of the xbox one as well, which was my plan in purchasing the console.

Back