• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

It excites the crowd at least. Every time Ronaldo is within 40 metres of goal the commentators start tossing on about what a free kick expert he is.

What is wrong with out swinging corners? I always thought in swinging corners would be easier to defend with the ball going TOWARDS the defenders heads

All you have to do is get a nick on an inswinging corner to deflect it in. The goalkeeper has really got a much of a chance from them.

Last edited:
People make way too much of corners and free kicks. Some seem to think they're automatically goal-scoring opportunities. What I like to see is the defence being tested, a CB heading the ball away with someone making a run is a successful corner for me. You'll eventually score from one.

The most frustrating ones are those that just go straight over everyone in the box. And we had some good routines last year, the one that stands out is Modric's goal at Bolton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtTvmJKYRYs&feature=related

nice compilation of siggy's moves there. he isn't exactly an elegant player, and seems to execute his moves with a little awkwardness. but his balance and timing - its something very close to what berbs has. nicking the ball or changing direction a fraction of a second earlier, and suddenly getting clear. somehow he just manages to stay on his feet to keep going. best thing is - he packs a wallop with either foot. and that right foot "hook" will catch many offguard. its clear from watching this video that this is boy is a little special. don't think we'll go much wrong with this buy.

Sigurdsson looks very much in the mould of Kranjcar, but only with added mobility. I love the deft touches to turn inside and outside, juggling between feet while running at pace, great skill!

Will be interesting to see where he fits into the team. Centre midfield with license to get forward at every opportunity, I assume? Could he potentially play off Adebayor (or other) in the VdV role?

I just hope he isn't shunted out wide... though perhaps he could play inside right as one of free forwards? Perhaps controversial, but he did appear to be drifting out wide - particularly in some of the Iceland clips, though of course that is quite a step up to play as a fully fledged wing-forward, and in all honesty probably wouldnt be the best use of his strengths!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtTvmJKYRYs&feature=related

nice compilation of siggy's moves there. he isn't exactly an elegant player, and seems to execute his moves with a little awkwardness. but his balance and timing - its something very close to what berbs has. nicking the ball or changing direction a fraction of a second earlier, and suddenly getting clear. somehow he just manages to stay on his feet to keep going. best thing is - he packs a wallop with either foot. and that right foot "hook" will catch many offguard. its clear from watching this video that this is boy is a little special. don't think we'll go much wrong with this buy.

He does remind me of Crouch somewhat, though, when he dribbles. Same long, lanky, uncertain strides. With better balance, of course.

I am not too sure whether this is posted elsewhere, but some of this would be very nice down at the 'Lane:

[video=youtube;pdFpMd67BTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdFpMd67BTE[/video]

Oh, the commentary is in Icelandic.

Fun and rather interesting article here from an American blog of all things: 8 Bold Predictions for Gylfi Sigurdsson Next Season

1. He'll Improve Upon His 7 Goals from Last Season

2. ...and Set a Career High in Assists

3. Andre Villas-Boas Will Think Twice About His 4-3-3

4. ...and Experiment with the 4-3-2-1

5. He'll Begin the Season in the Starting XI

6. ...and Score Before September (2 games)

7. ...Twice!

8. Rafael Van Der Vaart Will Transfer in January

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-predictions-for-gylfi-sigurdsson-next-season

In fairness thats a fantastic return as you say for a 20 y/o. Thank Christ he is not English or he would have cost 10-15m based on potential alone.

Axc4AmoCIAAvw-n.jpg

Exclusive interview with SpursTV coming up later today on twitter.

Gylfi Sigurdsson explained on Thursday that he chose to join Tottenham Hotspur instead of Liverpool because he believes they have a stronger team with a greater chance of winning trophies.

“There’s nothing wrong with Liverpool but there’s everything right about Tottenham,” said the Icelandic midfielder, who signed for £8 million, a fee that was also agreed with Liverpool.

“Look at where Spurs have finished in the last few years, compared to Liverpool, and look at the squad here. It’s a fantastic team and with the new training ground, possibility of a new stadium, it’s exciting times.”

Sigurdsson angered Liverpool’s new manager, Brendan Rodgers, by rejecting the offer to follow him from Swansea City, where the 22 year-old was on loan last season, to Anfield. Rodgers even claimed Sigurdsson’s wage demands had been too high although he admitted he had not offered him any more money to go to Liverpool.

But the midfielder rejected the suggestion that it was a financial decision and explained: “I spoke to Brendan briefly. Obviously I owe him a lot for what he did for me at Reading and bringing me back to England from Hoffenheim with Swansea.

“But it’s a new era for me. Spurs are a fantastic club, a club with a lot of additions, with players who are world-class. They finished fourth in the Premier League last season, fifth the year before and were in the Champions League – and this team are more than capable of being in the Champions League again.”

Swansea, under Rodgers, also tried to negotiate a deal for Sigurdsson, who scored seven goals, plus three assists, in his 19 Premier League games last season. But Rodgers’ departure, and the interest from other clubs, changed things.

“It’s hard to say whether I would have stayed at Swansea had Brendan Rodgers remained there,” the player explained.

“I think everyone then expected me to follow Brendan. But I’m very happy with the decision and feel privileged to be playing for Tottenham.” And the club’s new head coach, Andre Villas-Boas.

Speaking at the launch of Tottenham’s new kit, Villas-Boas’s first signing added: “I only spoke to a couple of clubs seriously and after Tottenham hired their new manager and I had spoken to him I was more than happy to come here.

“If you look at Villas-Boas’ record at Porto, it’s unbelievable. He won the Europa League and obviously it didn’t work out at Chelsea but he’s still a fantastic manager. All of the boys in the first week in training have been very happy with him and his sessions and his ambitions. Training has been very lively and he gets involved a lot.”

Indeed Sigurdsson, and the rest of the Spurs squad, have already shrugged off what happened to Villas-Boas at Chelsea, where he was sacked last March after just eight months in charge.

“There have been many great managers who have gone to Chelsea and it hasn’t worked out for them,” Sigurdsson said. “It’s probably one of the hardest jobs in the world. When things don’t go right, you are in trouble but he’s more than determined to do well with Tottenham.

“He said to us straightaway that the squad is more than good enough to compete for titles and do well in the league and the Europa League. And we want to do well in the Premier League and FA Cup. Of course, I think we can do well. Otherwise I wouldn’t have come here.”

Spurs also have a strong support in Iceland with Sigurdsson following on from compatriot Gudni Bergsson, who played for the club between 1988-94.

In terms of his goalscoring style of play, his role model is more contemporary.

“I think I model myself on Frank Lampard,” Sigurdsson said. “He’s a midfielder with a fantastic record. I like to get forward and score goals. If I can help the team by doing that, I’ll be happy.”

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...g-times-in-store-at-White-Hart-Lane.html[url]

Gylfi Sigurdsson explained on Thursday that he chose to join Tottenham Hotspur instead of Liverpool because he believes they have a stronger team with a greater chance of winning trophies.

“There’s nothing wrong with Liverpool but there’s everything right about Tottenham,” said the Icelandic midfielder, who signed for £8 million, a fee that was also agreed with Liverpool.

“Look at where Spurs have finished in the last few years, compared to Liverpool, and look at the squad here. It’s a fantastic team and with the new training ground, possibility of a new stadium, it’s exciting times.”

Sigurdsson angered Liverpool’s new manager, Brendan Rodgers, by rejecting the offer to follow him from Swansea City, where the 22 year-old was on loan last season, to Anfield. Rodgers even claimed Sigurdsson’s wage demands had been too high although he admitted he had not offered him any more money to go to Liverpool.

But the midfielder rejected the suggestion that it was a financial decision and explained: “I spoke to Brendan briefly. Obviously I owe him a lot for what he did for me at Reading and bringing me back to England from Hoffenheim with Swansea.

“But it’s a new era for me. Spurs are a fantastic club, a club with a lot of additions, with players who are world-class. They finished fourth in the Premier League last season, fifth the year before and were in the Champions League – and this team are more than capable of being in the Champions League again.”

Swansea, under Rodgers, also tried to negotiate a deal for Sigurdsson, who scored seven goals, plus three assists, in his 19 Premier League games last season. But Rodgers’ departure, and the interest from other clubs, changed things.

“It’s hard to say whether I would have stayed at Swansea had Brendan Rodgers remained there,” the player explained.

“I think everyone then expected me to follow Brendan. But I’m very happy with the decision and feel privileged to be playing for Tottenham.” And the club’s new head coach, Andre Villas-Boas.

Speaking at the launch of Tottenham’s new kit, Villas-Boas’s first signing added: “I only spoke to a couple of clubs seriously and after Tottenham hired their new manager and I had spoken to him I was more than happy to come here.

“If you look at Villas-Boas’ record at Porto, it’s unbelievable. He won the Europa League and obviously it didn’t work out at Chelsea but he’s still a fantastic manager. All of the boys in the first week in training have been very happy with him and his sessions and his ambitions. Training has been very lively and he gets involved a lot.”

Indeed Sigurdsson, and the rest of the Spurs squad, have already shrugged off what happened to Villas-Boas at Chelsea, where he was sacked last March after just eight months in charge.

“There have been many great managers who have gone to Chelsea and it hasn’t worked out for them,” Sigurdsson said. “It’s probably one of the hardest jobs in the world. When things don’t go right, you are in trouble but he’s more than determined to do well with Tottenham.

“He said to us straightaway that the squad is more than good enough to compete for titles and do well in the league and the Europa League. And we want to do well in the Premier League and FA Cup. Of course, I think we can do well. Otherwise I wouldn’t have come here.”

Spurs also have a strong support in Iceland with Sigurdsson following on from compatriot Gudni Bergsson, who played for the club between 1988-94.

In terms of his goalscoring style of play, his role model is more contemporary.

“I think I model myself on Frank Lampard,” Sigurdsson said. “He’s a midfielder with a fantastic record. I like to get forward and score goals. If I can help the team by doing that, I’ll be happy.”

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ks like that's exactly what he is aiming for.

Back