• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

There was no pressing last night. There didn't seem to be any hallmarks of avb at all yet. Cudicini playing hoofball constantly. Kaboul and Vertonghen played with a 50 yard gap between them. More comical corners from last season with 3 only men in the box. And Jenas and Livermore being dominated in midfield.

But fudge it, it was only a run out. It was great to see Huddlestone and Carroll change the game when they came on.

:~

I saw plenty of pressing at times, Just players got tired at the game got on, which you'd expect in a fitness improving game...

Agree with Jordy, there were a few comments made and observations shared.
No blasting.
No angst.
Just observation.

Or have we now determined that it's officially "uncool" for "real supporters" to make any serious comments on pre-season friendlies? I didn't get that memo...

BTW, again, given the double sessions and heat, i thought it was decent overall and I believe that AVB is going to do a fine job for us...one other note. The pitch looked pretty poor!

Rafael van der Vaart @rafvdvaart

Hi guys, got some questions after last night's game. I came of out of precaution, nothing serious!

HARRY OUT 8-[

But seriously - one pre season game, which we DIDN'T LOSE against a team who are part way through their season

Reality check needed.

Yes we need a new striker (well, two) - but from the sounds of it the game showed a few things we already knew or hoped; that some of the fringe players (Carroll, Kane, Townsend) can come in a "do a job" when needed (league cup, busy xmas period etc).

Please bear in mind that the US league is of a similar to lower championship level.

I am just back to San Francisco from a busy and fun time in Los Angeles. Aside from seeing the match last night, I also had the opportunity to go to the open training session on Sunday, and was able to get access to the players at the pre-training meet-and-greet! As the co-president of the San Francisco Bay Area Tottenham Hotspur Supporters (SF Spurs), I really wanted to get one of our t-shirts to a player or AVB. Benny proved to be a good choice, as he was very friendly and excited to get a present from the fans:

BAE.jpg

He was so excited, in fact, that he tweeted (lol) about it, and changed his avatar to our shirt design:

BennyTwitter.jpg

At the end of the line, I got to meet Rafa, which was really cool:

VDV.jpg

I was able to briefly chat with a few of the players while they signed autographs. Don't worry, fellow Yids - Jenas assured me that he was all healed and ready to play! Benny was very outgoing and seemed genuinely interested in speaking to fans. Michael Dawson was also very friendly - exactly what I'd expected to see, given his character. Bantered a little with Huddlestone about looking forward to him being able to cut his hair. Gomes was really friendly, and Friedel's accent cracked me up...he's been living in England too long! Defoe, VDV, and Gallas looked least pleased to be signing autographs. Overall, a great day, capped later in the week by a match that didn't end in a 0-0 draw, like two years ago at San Jose! Excited for the season to start, and hoping that the supporters attending the NY and Baltimore matches have a great time. COYS

Edit: I don't know how to post the pictures within the message...any help? I'd rather not have the links...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's fantastic mate. Good that the players embrace the "new age spastics!"

Hoping to get up close with them in New York next week. Would love to have a chat with BAE.

#9 doesn't suit Gareth.

If he had to change then ideally he'd have #11, VDV #10 and Ade #9 ... but I guess that'd make a lot of people's shirts out of date.

Thought Cudicini contributed a lot to the 'high line' issue. He didn't want to come out and cut out balls over the top and his use of the ball was shocking both short and long. If we had a keeper who could actually use his feet and wasn't scared to cut out some balls in behind, we would have dominated possession much more and thus been in a better position to press and win the ball back if we lost it. By just hoofing it forwards we put ourselves in a bad place to press and win the ball back and couldn't impose ourselves on the game.

I thought Vertonghen didn't look very good, on one occasion he even left a 15 yard gap between him and Kaboul on the edge of the box when LA were piling forward, Magee ****ed it up massively but it was worrying positioning. Hopefully its just pre-season rust, looking forward to him and Younes building a partnership, we shouldn't be expecting much at this point. This match also confirmed for me that Bassong will never be a left-back. When he came to Saudi Sportswashing Machine he first played at left-back and I genuinely thought he was one of the worst players in the league. Much, much better at CB.

We were attempting to be very fluid off the ball in the first half, but we had too little structure. There was no real holder, and no-one to dictate the tempo. Livermore and Sigurdsson especially tried to get involved going forwards but it wasn't really happening. With no real deep, disciplined midfielders, the space for VDV to operate in often got squeezed down as Livermore and Sig floated up the pitch.

Townsend and Bale looked very good as wing-forwards. Townsend was energetic and enthusiastic, taking on his man regularly and often beating him, although his dribbling was at times a bit aimless. I'm not sure he'll ever become a first-team regular with us, but for his confidence alone he looks like he could be a good option off the bench, potentially more of a goal threat than Lennon as well -he also had a great effort from range. Bale was starting out wide but moving into the centre intelligently. Last season I thought we saw him too eager to join in with play in the middle, leaving his post on the wing early, but against LA he played this role very well, scoring a great header too.

Didn't think Defoe or Kane were particularly impressive, although Kane did show glimpses of potential with his movement. We need someone with devastating movement and link-up play to lead our line though - Ade please.

Jenas came off the bench and was decent, tidy, the words you normally associate with JJ. Had a couple of daring passes which were actually pretty decent, including one 60-yarder which was just cut out. Very pleased with Hudd's return, he looked a cut above the rest of our midfield and exuded calm when he came on, moved the ball about nicely. Hit one absolute gem for Bale cutting in from the right, inch perfect from about 30 yards. Carroll looked decent, hope we'll see him in the League Cup and Europa League this season, jury's still out for me. Lennon was more effective than Townsend tactically, and was more disciplined, again showing some seniority like Hudd.

Bentley was actually very impressive at left-wing.. kept the ball moving when necessary, had enough guile to work some space, and was unpredictable, using both feet, cutting in and going on the outside and producing some good delivieries. We'll see if he can produce when called upon in competitive games though...

#9 doesn't suit Gareth.

If he had to change then ideally he'd have #11, VDV #10 and Ade #9 ... but I guess that'd make a lot of people's shirts out of date.

I thought this too haha. A bit like when Ronaldo was #9 at Madrid. He changed to #7 and they won the league!

Back