• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

When Bentley was playing on the left and Townsend came over to the right - around 70 mins to 80 mins - we were woeful

I can't stand this inverted wingers nonsense, and don't tell me they were part of a front 3 so have to be inverted... all they did was look up, try to play the ball with their wrong foot and get tackled

Time and again

I'm frustrated AVB is doing the "Lennon or Bentley on the left and Bale or Townsend on the right" thing - I know it is preseason, but it must be somewhere in his plans to do the inverted hokey cokey and I hate it

I reckon the club realise we need strikers, also the Defoe situation could not have been planned for. Kane did well, obviously he is not Top 4 standard BUT still he did ok and played 90 minutes in that heat.

I reckon the club realise we need strikers, also the Defoe situation could not have been planned for. Kane did well, obviously he is not Top 4 standard BUT still he did ok and played 90 minutes in that heat.

in how many windows have we failed to sign decent strikers?:)

Zip-All... man we need to get Ade signed up quick... and someone else to help out when Ade goes AWOL!

Kane, repeat Kane is NOT the answer to our goalscoring prayers... harsh, maybe... but we're not piddling about with mid-table here... unfortunately (for him) we don't have time to let him adjust... we need someone to hit the ground running... and scoring in AUGUST... not mid-December when the damage has already been done!

Sorry Hurri Kane, you've got a headline writers' dream name... but it's 4th striker at best I reckon... all we need now is another 2 to place him down the pecking order!

It surprises me how many people refer to Kane like he's 29 and on the tail end of his football career. He's 18. There are almost no eighteen-year-old strikers that can come in and make an impact in our team. Not when it's being reshaped, like ours is, and certainly not when the player in question doesn't have that much pace to rely on, like Kane. And certainly, certainly not when the players supporting him are Jenas, Carroll et al.

He helped fire Millwall to safety last season in the Championship, which is a decent feat for someone of his age. He'll get a lot better. Give him time.

surely it is essential for the future of this club to spend time and develop players like Kane than critise him seeing him in preseason games. There are too many FM managers on this site who just want to sign the latest youtube Carlos Kickaball. After years of watching poor football and ahving no chance of competing with the top teams we have developed a half decent side playing good football, the only thing that has not improved is the fans, just a bunch of moaners no different than the Sky 4 fans

=D>

FT 0-0.

Our second half performance wasn't particularly good, we created very little, although neither did Liverpool. The heat is obviously a factor, but there are obvious parts of the team that need upgrading. The only good thing about the second half was that Huddlestone looked very good when he came on - he will be like a new signing.

I am very concerned at the amount of time Jenas spent on the pitch, after touching the ball approximately 0 times during the match. If AVB thinks he's seen potential in him, somebody needs to have a word because we've all seen the potential in Jenas before but we've seen far more games like today from him over the last seven years than ones where he truly bossed things. He is not good enough and never will be. Townsend looked lively when he came on but his decision making was poor. I think he'll make a good option from the bench this season but I still hope we sign another winger.

Then we have Kane. Yeah, he's young, yeah, give him a chance whatever, but I just don't see the raw attributes there. A player can lack one of the three basic attributes of pace, power and technique and still be world class, but if they lack two of them then the one they have to have in abundance is the technique. Kane lacks pace and technical ability, meaning it's very unlikely that he'll ever be better than your Kevin Doyle's of this world. If we go into the season with him as somebody we are relying on then we're fudged.

Having said all of that, I think we had the better chances overall and Liverpool weren't that impressive, they're still yet to win in pre-season. There is a lot of potential with our squad but what I saw re-affirmed what I already knew - we need to sign two more strikers, another winger, and a replacement for Modric if he goes. We can raise money for this through the sales of Bentley, Jenas, Bassong, Pienaar and perhaps Dos Santos too. If we get an average of £5m each for them all and bearing in mind that the Corluka and Kranjcar transfers have effectively paid for Sigurdsson and Vertonghen, we should surely be able to afford it.

It surprises me how many people refer to Kane like he's 29 and on the tail end of his football career. He's 18. There are almost no eighteen-year-old strikers that can come in and make an impact in our team. Not when it's being reshaped, like ours is, and certainly not when the player in question doesn't have that much pace to rely on, like Kane. And certainly, certainly not when the players supporting him are Jenas, Carroll et al.

He helped fire Millwall to safety last season in the Championship, which is a decent feat for someone of his age. He'll get a lot better. Give him time.

Pretty much agree on this, problem at the moment is that he is one of two pure strikers in the squad. I would be happy having Kane as back up, giving him minutes here and there to see how he improves, but at the moment that's how good he is for a team aspiring to finish in the top four: A back up striker.

Would prefer us signing two quality strikers (Ade + one more) and loaning Kane out, preferably to a PL club.

Today just confirmed everything we knew - jenas, Bentley and Bassong aren't even close to being good enough. Personally I'd add Livermore to that list and also Kane (he's 19 by the way). Give him a loan somewhere and see if he can improve, I seriously doubt it, but he needs to stay well clear of our squad as hes simply not good enough.

Townsend and Carroll have a place I feel in the squad. Carroll to take over from livermores 7th midfielder position and Townsend as a 2nd back up winger.

Obviously we need strikers. 3 of them. I can't believe we are not even close to getting one. Frightening.

Wasn't Kane recently ill? And he's not actually a striker iirc - he prefers playing much deeper, practically a CM at times (and NEVER as a lone striker). I think the lad is a bit unlucky - there's no way a just-turned-19 year old should be playing so much for us, especially when his main attributes don't include pace, and keeping in mind that lone forwards develop later than other positions. He did very well at Millwall so I'd like to see him get another half-season in the championship and then some time in the prem for a midtable club.

Reminds me a bit of Welbeck's situation - he's already 21, and only just broke through last season, so I'd wait until Kane's 20 before asking him to play at a PL level. Also goes to show that you don't need every striker to be the next Rooney to play a part in a title-challenging team . . . our problem is that we don't have a Rooney atm, and you can't blame the kid for that.

Good to see Thudd getting back into form :)

Livermore was class in loads of games last year. Agree with you about Carroll but not Townsend as I've said previously.

Today reminded me what Hudd can do though, fantastic ability.

There's just no room for Livermore though in my opinion and he doesn't have any outstanding attributes, just a solid all rounder.

We have sandro and Parker for DM (hudd could play there if need be as he showed today)
THudd and (hopefully) mouthino (or whoever we end up signing) in the playmaker role.
Sig and VDV in the attacking role.

That's great cover, and always need one extra. Is that Livermore again? Could be. But personally I'd move Carroll there.

There's just no room for Livermore though in my opinion and he doesn't have any outstanding attributes, just a solid all rounder.We have sandro and Parker for DM (hudd could play there if need be as he showed today)
THudd and (hopefully) mouthino (or whoever we end up signing) in the playmaker role.

That's great cover, and always need one extra. Is that Livermore again? Could be. But personally I'd move Carroll there.

Agree with that. I really dont understand how some people can rate Livermore. He cant pass well, shoot well or tackle well plus he's also quite cumbersome/slow and turns about as quick as Thudd. All he really has is heart/work-rate. Thats not enough - you have to at least have the basic footballing abilities and be decent at one thing. THink he might make it around league 1 or 2 level but dont see any future for him at a higher level

There's just no room for Livermore though in my opinion and he doesn't have any outstanding attributes, just a solid all rounder.

We have sandro and Parker for DM (hudd could play there if need be as he showed today)

How many medals has Modric won compared to John O'Shea?

Squads need solid all rounders, even better, solid all rounders who love and understand the club. It's not even as if he was just solid when he played last season, he was mom for me against Everton at home, and had a great first half at Old Trafford. He can play CM, CB, and I've seen him with my own eyes doing really well at RB against Cheltenam.

Hudd cannot play as the sole DM, just won't work. Livermore can in my opinion. Parkers got a year or so left imo, Livermore needs another season as back up, playing CC, EL and the odd premier league game and he'll become a valuable asset to the club.

I'm not sure how some of you can judge Livermore in this preseason, when he proved he could mix it quite easily in the Prem LAST season. Excellent backup who is a true Tottenham boy at heart who plays with passion.

Back