• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

This

I have a lot of time for him as a player although one has to wonder what happens behind closed doors. Hopefully AVB could help him out - always had a soft spot for him

Where would you play him in AVB's preferred system?

Where would you play him in AVB's preferred system?

Right winger option to Lennon

Admittedly (much like most on here) - I'm not sure what formation AVB would go for so it would be hard to speculate based on his past 'doings' whereby a 4-3-3 is automatically assumed

So we worked out that gylfi and Defoe were in fact in America has anyone worked out yet whether huddlestone is?

Bentleys ability has never been in doubt, IMO, only his mentality is a worry.

Sadly I think that is what makes or breaks a player...

really?

bombed out of Arsenal, has only had an 18 month spell in his career when he showed any real consistency

technically he strikes the ball well....but his decision making is poor, his mobility is average, lacks pace, seems mentally fragile

poor signing for Spurs

really?

bombed out of Arsenal, has only had an 18 month spell in his ca when he showed any real consistency

technically he strikes the ball well....but his decision making is poor, his mobility is average, lacks pace, seems mentally fragile

poor signing for Spurs

He wasnt bombed out of Arsenal. They had him pegged as Bergkamps replacement, his ego wasnt prepared to wait and he got all billy big boots which lead them to cut their loses on him.

At Blackburn he was superb. Under Hughes he had a manager that kept a very tight grip on him - something he needs - and it paid dividends.

With us, big money move, bigger club - his ego exploded again and look what happened...

That said - there have been times when he has done an understated yet good job for us IMHO - look at the end of the season we first finished 4th.

Ability wise? Great touch, excellent technique in striking the ball, (pre Spurs) excellent set piece delivery, good vision when he gets his head up and has often shown decent tricks/control. He also has it in him to pull off something audacious, which I always like in a player. He isnt a superstar in the making (despite what he would have you believe) but he has the components of a very decent player.

Problem is in his head. He got to us and lost all focus. Redknapp commented that he wanted his team mates to call him "Becks". He got completely distracted with ideas of being a little tycoon music promoter, bar owner, sports car racer...

All these things are what have stalled his career IMHO - NOT his natural ability.

It is possible AVB can get his head straight, if he takes a similar disciplinarian approach as Hughes, and if that happens its possible we can have a very useful option in the squad.

Given the last few years though they are very big "Ifs" IMO. To date I agree he has been a poor signing, but that doesnt mean he cant be a decent player for us yet.

as a right midfielder, right winger he has no chance....serious lack of pace and running ability, just cannot get past his man

his only salvation imo might be if he somehow converts to a central midfielder as part of a 4-3-3...even then he will have to work his nuts off to adapt to a new role

If we can get something near the blackburn Bentley back (and thats a big if) I think he could be a useful option and would complement Walker quite well. Walker can do the quick overlapping runs, while Bentley makes space for himself to receive the ball back for a decent cross into the box. If the club really want to keep him and try and coax the old Bentley out again, then fair enough, I dont really see any clubs making any offers. So if we're stuck with him, we might aswlel try and utilise him.

Bentleys ability has never been in doubt, IMO, only his mentality is a worry.

Sadly I think that is what makes or breaks a player...

I have doubted his ability many a time.

Never watched him much when he was at Blackburn (who watches Blacburn anyway?), but for us I don't think he has ever been particularly good.

He has some skill on the ball and a decent cross (good at it's best, but inconsistent), but for me his decision making leaves a lot to be desired and he's never been much of a team player. In short, good highlights player, not much more.

Bentley is the only player currently in LA who pulls his shorts up in a comical way

such a knob, even the Americans were wondering if he is right in the head

Bentley is the only player currently in LA who pulls his shorts up in a comical way

such a knob, even the Americans were wondering if he is right in the head

Didn't you know.. he thinks he's Beckham

David-Beckham-Training-session-8.jpg

as a right midfielder, right winger he has no chance....serious lack of pace and running ability, just cannot get past his man

his only salvation imo might be if he somehow converts to a central midfielder as part of a 4-3-3...even then he will have to work his nuts off to adapt to a new role

Pace is a bonus, not a prerequisite. He did perfectly well as a pretty orthodox RW at Blackburn. Their tactic was to break from deep with him as an out ball higher up the pitch. It found him space with the ball and a headstart on any defender, allowing him time to pin point a cross into RSC time and time again. In spells of possession be came inside more with the RB providing width on the over lap.

Pace is nice to have, its not essential IMHO. So "his only salvation..." strikes me as a little dramatic!

That said I do think he could work as part of a central 3, providing it was the attacking tip of the 3 with little defensive responsibility. It puts him in a position where he is in range of goal, has options left and right for balls out and the ability to get on the ball a lot. If his ego is in check and he plays for the team then he could be decent there. Its if he decides to go for glory and over play to much / show off he would become a disaster...

He really got team mates to call him Becks?

So Harry said. It was around the time Bentley had the car accident and was in trouble there. Harry commented to the effect that he is a lovely bloke, a lot of fun around, talented etc but he really needs to focus on his football. Needs to stop modelling himself on Beckham and just be Bentley.

As I recall anyway, may try and find it later if I get the chance...

So we worked out that gylfi and Defoe were in fact in America has anyone worked out yet whether huddlestone is?

There are pictures of him with his fro in corn rows in the USA on teletext

NOTE TO FOREIGN TYPES AND UK TYPES - just to clarify that the next 3 Spurs games are on at 3.30am, 6pm and Midnight

So most of us UK guys probably won't end up catching the first and last games - so please feel free to type up some notes and stuff so I can read them in the morning :D

Back