• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official OM(usic)T Thread ***

Tried to get Kasabian tickets at Brixton yesterday, was just about to then the price came up as £99 for 2 standing tickets, no thanks...

Ridiculous price

Pink Floyd is about to return with their first album in 20 years. Polly Samson, the wife of singer-guitarist David Gilmour, surprised fans on Saturday when she casually announced over Twitter that the band has a new record in the works and it's coming out this fall. A representative for Gilmour confirmed the release of the album to Rolling Stone.

See Where Pink Floyd Rank on Our List of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time

"Btw Pink Floyd album out in October is called 'The Endless River,'" Samson wrote. "Based on 1994 sessions is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful." (Keyboardist and founding member Wright died of cancer in 2008 at the age of 65.)

The band had just celebrated the 20th anniversary of 1994's The Division Bell with an extravagant reissue of the album on July 1st. The new material appears to be connected to unreleased recordings made during the Division Bell sessions.

Durga McBroom-Hudson, a singer who toured with Pink Floyd in the 1980s and 1990s and is apparently involved in the new project, offered more details on The Endless River through her Facebook page. "The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled 'The Big Spliff' that Nick Mason spoke about)," she explained. "Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That's the song you see being worked on in the photo." She went on to emphasize that the new album will consist entirely of unreleased songs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pink-floyd-to-release-first-new-album-in-20-years-this-fall-20140706

I think financial reasons are almost certainly behind this - either that or Eavis is no longer able to distinguish between a musical movement and a silly fad.

It's just a shame to see Glastonbury going so far downhill. It used to have huge acts headlining, the very smallest of which would be the likes of Kasabian - now bands like Arcade Fire are making Kasabian look like a big act.

Metallica are obviously huge in their genre, but even they probably aren't the kind of act you'd expect to headline Glastonbury (maybe on the other stage).

I just don't see how it can be tough to get the really big acts in. They charge a lot of ****ers a lot of money every year - there must be plenty to throw at quality bands.

**EDIT**

If the Fleetwood Mac rumours (pun not intended) for next year are true then that's back to what I'd expect.

I spent the three days there. One of the main things I realized about Glastonbury (which I wouldn't have had I not walked, literally, 10 miles on the Friday checking out every corner) is that the main stage acts are increasingly window dressing for the life which flows in-between. Some tremendous areas and spaces, some excellent DJs and a great ebb and flow to the vibe of it all. I watched Arcade Fire from the side-stage and (frankly) thought they were terrible. Enjoyed Skrillex for what he is (fun bop-de-bop-bop) and thought there were moments of the Massive Attack set which were great but that generally they aren't a festival band. Kasabian? They were OK, but again, I genuinely didn't find them exciting more than a lot of puff and bluster. Plant was pretty good, and as for Jack White (who I love) I was disappointed; it felt as though he has started to walk that territory of doing what people want and not what he wants (I love White Stripes but didn't think he seemed particularly excited about playing some of those songs)…Metallica? I think regardless of taste, it is very very hard to deny that they are a superb live act, always have been and that they can headline any festival they wish with aplomb. I think they were (actually) perfect for Glastonbury in this context. I would agree that Arcade Fire and Kasabian are not festival headliners in the biggest sense;a great shame The Stone Roses won't play again as they'd have been an excellent Sunday closer IMV.

I will say that dingdonginson's comments about Iron Maiden never playing it because it's 'for toffs' made me laugh. They wouldn't play it because they wouldn't work. And as for 'toffs'? More mud and dirt and **** and people willing to get on with it than I've seen at many of the other festivals I find myself at in the line of duty.

A unique and very cool weekend.

In continuation of my "grumpy old man comments on modern 'music'" thread:

Switched on T (always a mistake) and discovered The 1975.

Now, I've always said that art students should never be allowed near any form of recording equipment or amplification because what you get is a massive pile of cvnt.

But holy ****! Even art students would walk away calling this lot an affected collection of septic knobrot.

In fact, I'd rather take an extended dose of knobrot than see or hear that pile of cvnt ever again.

I genuinely feel sorry for that generation of kids. They're the first since the 50s to not have a scene worthy of belonging to.

Now, I've always said that art students should never be allowed near any form of recording equipment or amplification because what you get is a massive pile of cvnt.

But holy ****! Even art students would walk away calling this lot an affected collection of septic knobrot.

In fact, I'd rather take an extended dose of knobrot than see or hear that pile of cvnt ever again.

I genuinely feel sorry for that generation of kids. They're the first since the 50s to not have a scene worthy of belonging to.

Had avoided them until I read your post, so had to check them out…oh how right you are. What a turgidly poor pile of ****e. It's not even good musak FFS! In fact, what is it? Just terrible.

I agree, that generation of kids has no worthy 'scene', but they can take some of the responsibility by patronizing the short-attention span 'single' culture which has seen genuinely interesting bands and music considered 'too much work' by the majority of short-attention span flunkies who don't LISTEN to music more than just 'have it on' as they perform a variety of other short-attention span duties.

One of the things Milo's competition has done (for me) is brought forth some great exchanges about some great bands; can't say that's going to happen too often if we only focus on the last decade of music, right?

I agree mate…I agree…grumpy alongside you...

Had avoided them until I read your post, so had to check them out…oh how right you are. What a turgidly poor pile of ****e. It's not even good musak FFS! In fact, what is it? Just terrible.

I agree, that generation of kids has no worthy 'scene', but they can take some of the responsibility by patronizing the short-attention span 'single' culture which has seen genuinely interesting bands and music considered 'too much work' by the majority of short-attention span flunkies who don't LISTEN to music more than just 'have it on' as they perform a variety of other short-attention span duties.

One of the things Milo's competition has done (for me) is brought forth some great exchanges about some great bands; can't say that's going to happen too often if we only focus on the last decade of music, right?

I agree mate…I agree…grumpy alongside you...

Glad I'm not the only one.

I think we're all a little to blame too though. A friend who works in those circles recently explained to me the damage that the downloading we've all done has done to the live scene.

Where previously gigs/tours were loss-making and were used to drive album sales, they're now expected to turn a profit. 20 years ago I could go to a local venue and see a decent sized band for less than a fiver (even adjusted for inflation that's probably less than a tenner). That same venue (the only independent one for quite some distance) now charges £17.50 for bands that are even smaller than those I used to see.

So how does a ground swell start without the small, cheap venues where gigs are cheap enough to try a band without knowing what they're like?

Glad I'm not the only one.

I think we're all a little to blame too though. A friend who works in those circles recently explained to me the damage that the downloading we've all done has done to the live scene.

Where previously gigs/tours were loss-making and were used to drive album sales, they're now expected to turn a profit. 20 years ago I could go to a local venue and see a decent sized band for less than a fiver (even adjusted for inflation that's probably less than a tenner). That same venue (the only independent one for quite some distance) now charges £17.50 for bands that are even smaller than those I used to see.

So how does a ground swell start without the small, cheap venues where gigs are cheap enough to try a band without knowing what they're like?

I think that the way forward for what you're asking is probably for smaller venues to get some sort of sponsorship from alcohol companies whereby the costs of say, three nights a week of live action are underwritten by said-sponsor (for example 'Stella Nights - Enjoy some stella new music courtesy of us' that sort of thing) and thus the door can be kept low, the bands can afford to do a small tour and get at least their costs covered (making money on short sales and perhaps vinyl/CDs)…the idea would be enhanced if there were a string of clubs on a 'route' which small bands could try and get on (the south, the midlands, the north and back, 6 gigs, 9 days, in a van, costs covered). It seems to me the only viable way of doing what you're asking for. It doesn't have to liquor, maybe it's a social media company, but it's probably the only way I can see what you said happening.

What a turgidly poor pile of ****e. It's not even good musak FFS! In fact, what is it? Just terrible.

That's a great description. It's like they heard some musak once and said to each other "If only someone could take all the excitement and anything interesting away from that. Imagine what you'd be left with." And then went straight to the recording studio with the most half-arsed ape behind the desk they could find.

So you piqued my curiousity with this 'The 1975' and I checked them out. Good GHod. I have no words to describe how angry it made me feel (and not a good kind of angry like when listening to Slayer either).

That's a great description. It's like they heard some musak once and said to each other "If only someone could take all the excitement and anything interesting away from that. Imagine what you'd be left with." And then went straight to the recording studio with the most half-arsed ape behind the desk they could find.

Must've been an ape with an axe to grind against the human species. Simian payback…I'd imagine that the dishwater left over from washing out those enormous vats of school lunch stew back when I was a kid would've sounded like this if it were 'music'...

So you piqued my curiousity with this 'The 1975' and I checked them out. Good GHod. I have no words to describe how angry it made me feel (and not a good kind of angry like when listening to Slayer either).
See if you can find a video of their T performance. Then see if you can avoid throwing something at your tv.

See if you can find a video of their T performance. Then see if you can avoid throwing something at your tv.

Christ that is sad. Truly ****ing awful.

Reminds me of a bunch of nobs when I visited my girlfriends student uni bar. Bunch of arrogant student pricks who thought they were genuine 'musos' and took the **** constantly of me having long-hair.

I have to wonder if the word 'insipid' is an anagram of The 1975 which I haven't been able to see. I have to admit, I did wonder if I'd been a tad harsh. I now fully accept that the truth is, I have been generous. This is one of the very worst new bands, or old bands or middle-aged or whatever-****ing-bands, I have ever heard. They make Coldplay seem as powerful as Slayer and as engaging as prime Stone Roses. Yes, I'm overcooking the egg, because that is (of course) an im****ingpossibility, but it was actually some footage from this year's Glastonbury performance which really pushed me over the edge. Thank GHod I managed to miss them. In fact, how funny that I didn't even know they were ever on. I wouldn't wash dishes to this music, and if I wiped my **** to it, there would be a sense of dirty poo-smeared glee about the whole endeavor.

OK…is there anyone here who likes Arcade Fire? Because I think they are an enormous, confusing pile of toot.

Careful how you rip on Canada in the coming days. Your favourite football club will be in our care and keeping next week. That said, I'm Canadian and I can't defend Arcade Fire. Shrill, pretentious twaddle.

But Her Majesty's Timbered Dominion is doing fine without British approval.

This guy's coming along nicely, Afie Jurvanen, aka Bahamas:

[video=youtube;jPJNt1eTVNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPJNt1eTVNY[/video]

And this band's not bad either. Cooking Stateside, where we do strive for approval.

[video=youtube;cpw_zFcGTs4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpw_zFcGTs4[/video]

Not that we aren't above poking a little fun at them:

[video=youtube;KfqdolEXMBk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqdolEXMBk[/video]

Last edited:
Back