• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Friedel

Re: Brad Friedel

Brad is hosting this morning's breakfasting show with Talksport with Alan Brasil

Re: Brad Friedel

top,top, bloke...really hope he stays on with us in some capacity.

Re: Official - Friedal

Report: Brad Friedel interviews for Columbus Crew coaching job

According to Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl as a guest on Fox Soccer Daily, Brad Friedel has flown to Columbus and not only is a candidate for the Crew head coaching position, but has interviewed for it.

Currently under contract with Tottenham Hotspur, Friedel has explicitly indicated that he wishes to enter the coaching ranks after the conclusion of his career, revealing back in June that he was then taking classes to obtain his coaching badges.

A Lakewood, Ohio native, Friedel is under contract at Spurs expires at the end of this season. Given his coaching aspirations it’s certainly possible he has an out in his contract should a desirable coaching position come his way.

The Crew fired Robert Warzycha on September 2nd, and interm manager Brian Bliss has four wins and two losses to his name since taking over.

While not completely out of the race, the Crew have just two matches with New England to get themselves into the playoff picture, needing to make up four points in the process.

Most likely, Bliss will finish out the season and the search for a permanent head coach will not conclude until the season is over.

Friedel will have some serious competition from Bliss for the position, as the club has seen an uptick in form since the coaching change. His only two losses have come against Sporting KC, while beating everyone else (Dallas, Chicago, Montreal, Houston) by a combined 11 goals to 3.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...el-interviews-for-columbus-crew-coaching-job/

Re: Official - Friedal

For his sake I hope he gets it, he's been such a professional he deserves it, but Friedel would be a massive loss to us. Not sure AVB will want to rely Gomes in the cups.

When he's played, he's always solid. And he's always been utterly professional during his time here.

onlyme's right, we couldn't ask for a better rotational goalie. But I'm of the opinion that if he ends up being offered the job and wants to go, we should let him. It's the least we could do, and we could then focus on finding an English back-up goalie to help tide over our home-grown quota a bit, which would then allow us to more leverage to choose between home-grown and foreign further up the field.

When he's played, he's always solid. And he's always been utterly professional during his time here.

onlyme's right, we couldn't ask for a better rotational goalie. But I'm of the opinion that if he ends up being offered the job and wants to go, we should let him. It's the least we could do, and we could then focus on finding an English back-up goalie to help tide over our home-grown quota a bit, which would then allow us to more leverage to choose between home-grown and foreign further up the field.

Not exactly ten to the dozen, are they!

I agree that it would be the fair thing to do.

If this is something Friedel wants he would have been aware of the possibility of this happening when he signed his contract extension so I would imagine it would have been discussed and most likely been explicitly written into the contract what his options are if he's offered a job.

Like Spur of the moment I'm not sure there are a lot of English options around for that spot. Most English goalkeeper are either not good enough, young to the point where they're still promising and need first team football to keep progressing or good enough to be in contention for a place in the national squad and in with a hope of becoming a regular starter for England should Hart continue performing as he has been. Not a lot of "backup options" in that.

A new backup goalie (from anywhere) shouldn't be too hard to find though, I'm guessing Baldini could list a dozen good targets (at least) just off the top of his head.

A dozen targets, any of whom would play one game and then get torn to pieces on this site for not being good enough.

A dozen targets, any of whom would play one game and then get torn to pieces on this site for not being good enough.

I actually don't think so.

Finding a first choice goalkeeper at a big club is probably amongst the most difficult players for a club to sign. So many big clubs and big managers have struggled to get the right man with the gloves and so many seemingly very good goalkeepers have seen their form spiral out of control and become distinctly average.

Finding a backup goalkeeper though, not so difficult imo. There are a lot of good, but not great goalkeepers around and in our situation (so near the top of the ladder financially) it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree that it would be the fair thing to do.

If this is something Friedel wants he would have been aware of the possibility of this happening when he signed his contract extension so I would imagine it would have been discussed and most likely been explicitly written into the contract what his options are if he's offered a job.

Like Spur of the moment I'm not sure there are a lot of English options around for that spot. Most English goalkeeper are either not good enough, young to the point where they're still promising and need first team football to keep progressing or good enough to be in contention for a place in the national squad and in with a hope of becoming a regular starter for England should Hart continue performing as he has been. Not a lot of "backup options" in that.

A new backup goalie (from anywhere) shouldn't be too hard to find though, I'm guessing Baldini could list a dozen good targets (at least) just off the top of his head.

Are you being serious?

I actually don't think so.

Finding a first choice goalkeeper at a big club is probably amongst the most difficult players for a club to sign. So many big clubs and big managers have struggled to get the right man with the gloves and so many seemingly very good goalkeepers have seen their form spiral out of control and become distinctly average.

Finding a backup goalkeeper though, not so difficult imo. There are a lot of good, but not great goalkeepers around and in our situation (so near the top of the ladder financially) it shouldn't be a problem.

A back up keeper that we can just use whenever and rely on? No way that finding one is 'that' easy. Brad is great because of his experience, his ability and because he keeps himself fit and has the right attitude.

There is no way that we will find a number 2 as good as Brad easily. And if we play a cup game with this new keeper, his performance will be scrutinised to the point that people criticise him for the smallest things, it's what happens on here. Either that or he'll make a couple of great saves and people will be suggesting that he replace Lloris. A realistic viewpoint on here seems as hard to find as a U2 album without fillers.

A back up keeper that we can just use whenever and rely on? No way that finding one is 'that' easy. Brad is great because of his experience, his ability and because he keeps himself fit and has the right attitude.

There is no way that we will find a number 2 as good as Brad easily. And if we play a cup game with this new keeper, his performance will be scrutinised to the point that people criticise him for the smallest things, it's what happens on here. Either that or he'll make a couple of great saves and people will be suggesting that he replace Lloris. A realistic viewpoint on here seems as hard to find as a U2 album without fillers.

I didn't say that this hypothetical replacement would please the glory-glory masses like free blowjobs for every 5th pint at a pub. :)

Just that he would be good enough to be our backup goalkeeper.

Yes.

I imagine good, but not great, goalkeepers willing to sit on the bench in the PL for us in exchange for what would most likely be a solid wage-jump are quite easy to find.

I accept that goalkeepers are a different breed, but if you are determined enough to make it as a top level professional footballer, why would you suddenly decide that sitting on the bench was what you actually wanted to do all along?

Back