• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Friedel

Re: Friedel can never play for us again

Very telling stats, but maybe worth checking which goalie has played the most euro games?

Because we generally field weaker teams in the euros and despite what AVB says you are not going to tell me we put the same amount of commitment into those games as we do the Prem.

Five games apiece in the Europa League with Lloris conceding 3 goals (2 clean sheets) and Friedel conceding 7 goals (1 clean sheet).

Ironically, the games against Burnley and tonight's against Inter were very similar. I don't think either 'keeper (Alnwick or Freidel) could do much about the goals that were conceded, but the overall team performance (from the people in front of them) in both games was shocking.

I remember feeling hollow as I walked out of Turf Moor and I have the same feeling tonight, but heigh-ho, were are still "in the hat".

This.
But onwards and upwards indeed.

thought he played ok and made some good saves - unfortunately whenever he plays there will always be instances where you think "Lloris would have come out and claimed that" when the ball gets played in behind the defense

yep

interestingly enought i think that highlights yet another reason why avb failed at chelsea. not only was his management of the super star ego poor, but basically he made mistake after mistake after mistake going into matches. he tried playing that higher line system with terry and Cech

no. not gonna happen

today we say what you get with a highline and no sweeper keeper

sometimes a coach is only as good as the mesh between his systems and his personell

i will say this though, earlier on in the season he showed he could adapt as that defensive line was deeper

we shouldn't forget that we have played the exact same tactic before this season without getting hammered, not least against the same opposition last week, the performance of the team all round was the major factor last night, for me the problem was attitude not tactics, the players thought the tie was dead

Brad must be this weeks Jenas. Brad is a fine keeper but at 40 years old will have trouble adjusting to the sweeper keeper role. A deeper defence and he is top notch.

Think it means we need to sign a new back-up keeper over the summer for next season (and play Lloris in the remaining 5 UEFA cup games).

Archer.

Lloris should be playing EVERY game. If he ever gets a knock or needs a rest, put Jordan in goal, brilliant shot stopper and boy is he quick!!

I've been checking out my rules of football book, but can't seem to find a rule that states "you must play your second choice keeper in Europa League games" rule.

So why does AVB insist on playing him? If were playing CL games, he'd surely play Lloris, wouldn't he? He'd play him because he's better, younger, quicker, more suitable to coming out quickly and guarding against through balls when playing a high line.

He's obviously taking it seriously and wants to win it, so why only rotate the one position that least needs rotating?

Are we a charity? Let's let Brad play in the San Siro 'cos he's never played there before?

AVB needs man up a bit.

I've been checking out my rules of football book, but can't seem to find a rule that states "you must play your second choice keeper in Europa League games" rule.

So why does AVB insist on playing him? If were playing CL games, he'd surely play Lloris, wouldn't he? He'd play him because he's better, younger, quicker, more suitable to coming out quickly and guarding against through balls when playing a high line.

He's obviously taking it seriously and wants to win it, so why only rotate the one position that least needs rotating?

Are we a charity? Let's let Brad play in the San Siro 'cos he's never played there before?

AVB needs man up a bit.

Tosh.

3-0 up. Should be comfortably through. Play Brad because if Lloris gets injured on Sunday it is better to have a keeper with some minutes under his belt. Makes perfect sense. What didn't make sense was playing such a high defensive line with Friedel up there. if we want a witch hunt, sorry, "list of players who shouldn't play for us again based on last night's performance" then Gallas and Defoe should top the list

This thread is fudging retarded.

Apart from the Palacio goal when he should have come off his line, he fudging saved our skins.

However, i do think its time to play Lloris in the Europa League now.

Ironically, the games against Burnley and tonight's against Inter were very similar. I don't think either 'keeper (Alnwick or Freidel) could do much about the goals that were conceded, but the overall team performance (from the people in front of them) in both games was shocking.

I remember feeling hollow as I walked out of Turf Moor and I have the same feeling tonight, but heigh-ho, were are still "in the hat".

And I went to both games. I hope were not 3 or 4-0 up going into the 2nd leg.

Brad Freidel

Was on Reddit apparently. I'll try and copy paste the questions he answered about spurs, there were others though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1gnrgq/i_am_brad_friedel_professional_football_soccer/

Intro:
I am Brad Friedel, an American goalkeeper for Tottenham Hotspur in the UK. I currently hold the Premier League record for the most consecutive match appearances (310).
I'm visiting Under Armour headquarters today to help plan some local clinics and camps. We have an hour between meetings so AMA!
*** EDIT ***
Thank you very much for having me. Sorry I couldn't answer everyone's questions - I have to go do a clinic on behalf of Under Armour and Tottenham so I need to run.

User:Hi Brad, if you are the substitute goalkeeper for your team, and the first choice keeper makes a mistake that leads to a goal, what emotions do you go through? Do you resent the fact that you were not first choice?

Brad:When I was younger, I always wanted to be the #1 GK, I can't lie - I would never be that upset if the GK playing besides myself made a mistake. However, I would have never had wanted the team to lose. That is just human nature. However, at Tottenham, and at 42 years of age, I definitely do not have these feelings and I always want Hugo/Tottenham to do very well.

User:1) From your experience, who has the hardest shot to stop in the Premier League?
2) Who's the biggest joker in the Spurs dressing room?

Brad:1. I'll go with players that are currently playing, and I would have to say it's a toss-up between two of our Tottenham players: Jermain DeFoe and Gareth Bale.
2. Tom Huddlestone.

User:Hey Brad, I just wanted to say that I am an American, long time Spurs fan and I think you're an awesome person and what you have done for the club has been amazing. I have a few questions for you...
What are your teammates like and who are you closest with?

What is it like being older than the head coach?

How much do you know about the Bale - Real Madrid possible transfer ahead and how is he dealing with the pressure that Madrid is putting on him?

Would you ever consider playing in the MLS?

Brad:The teammates at Tottenham are a really good group of guys and we all have a good relationship with each other. There are no real cliques at the club, which you have probably noticed by the camaraderie we have shown on the pitch. My closest friends on the team are generally the older ones lol but, I get along with everybody.

In life, yes I am older than AVB. However, in management, he is far more experienced than me. We have a very good relationship and I respect him very much as manager.

I know Gareth very well and I know he's been playing a lot of golf this off-season. Regarding a possible transfer - I know nothing about this and have not spoken to him about it. And I, like every Spurs supporter and every member of Spurs staff, hope he stays for many, many years at Tottenham.

I always thought that I would probably finish my career in the MLS, however I kept getting contract offers with fantastic clubs later in my career and now I find myself at a very big club in Tottenham at the age of 42. I think time is probably against me now to finish as a player in the MLS, however that is not to say that I won't come back to the MLS at some stage in my career in some capacity.

User: Hi Brad, thank you for the AMA.
Who do you think is the best keeper in the world currently?

What do you regard as your most important save ever?

As an American, what’s it like playing in the Premier League for a big club like Tottenham Hotspur?

What does it take to play 310 Premier League games in a row?

Its not only the injuries, in the modern game its the automatic red card which keepers usually get when they concede fouls - how did you manage to avoid getting sent off during the 310 streak?

Brad: Manuel Neuer is probably my choice right now. However, this changes often because there's always competition for places.

Probably the penalty save vs South Korea in the 2002 World Cup.

It's a great honor to represent such a great club like Tottenham Hotspur.

Luck, hard work, good diet, lots of yoga, and intelligent managers lol

I did get sent off once, however the referee made a mistake and I had the red card rescinded.

User:French here - how is your relationship with Hugo Lloris?

Brad:My relationship with Hugo is very good. He's a really nice guy and a really hard worker and we get along with one another very well. Hopefully he can enjoy a very long and successful stay with Tottenham.

User:Hey Brad! I am chair of ATL Spurs: The official Tottenham Supporters Club in Atlanta. We already have over 100 Spurs fans coming out to watch parties and events. If you ever find yourself in Atlanta, please, please, please let us know!
I was at the game against Aston Villa where Hugo started and your record streak ended. How long before the game did you know that would be the end of the streak and what were your feelings? How you handled the situation spoke volumes about your character and professionalism.

Brad:I was told the day before at the training ground. It was one of those times in my career that I had to put the team before myself and I did that and we all move on.

User:Hey Brad!
would you mind running us through the stretching/warmup routine that has allowed you to play so many consecutive matches?

What have you noticed are the most major changes that have occured within the top flight in the last ~20 years?

Do you nerd out about gloves/boots, or do you just use whatever your sponsors hand you?

Cheers, mate!

Brad:It is a four letter word called yoga.

Pace of the game and the athleticism of the players.

I'm not sure if I "nerd" about them, however they are an important tool in my line of work. I have recently signed a contract with Under Armour, who are the club sponsor at Tottenham, and I have seen up close now what goes in to all the product at a company such as this. This is a company that the soccer world needs to take serious notice in.

User:Hi Brad, For a while people were saying Hugo Lloris should be keeping for Spurs. Did they keep you on to get a clean 310 streak or was it just a matter of Lloris settling in? I know Bartez wasn't happy about it. You did well in my fantasy football team btw. Even if you don't know how to save Penos. We all still enjoyed you playing!!! Thanks for doing this AMA!!! Big fan.

Brad:When Hugo signed, I was playing in the team because I was playing well, it had nothing to do with my streak of 310 consecutive games. I'm very proud of the 310 consecutive games, however, no manager would have played any player just due to a record if they didn't think they could get results for the team. Hugo is an exceptional goalkeeper and he was bought at 25 years of age because of his talent and the fact that he could potentially be the goalkeeper for Tottenham for the next 10 or so years if he keeps himself fit and I personally hope that he is very successful with us.
I don't want to go into the Barthez comments again. I said what I needed to say and I stand by my words.

Edit: it's just a shame i still can't spell his name right. 8-[

Re: Brad Freidel

Great man - seems so humble and a really positive influence around the club. I hope we keep him on in some role for many years.

I also like that he uses lol at 42 years old.

Re: Brad Friedel

saw him in Costa in Epping the other day, already in the under armour training kit, he's fudging huge

i was too chickenbrick to talk to him, he did look kind of in a rush

Do you think he misunderstood the biggest joker in the dressing room question? Maybe he thought the interviewer said, who is the biggest joke in the dressing room..

i like it we have nice guys like friedel around. bale, BAE, verts (crying with mom onstage) etc. if enic has and levy has done something right its to instill the right values in this club.

Back